By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

New York

Ragnor the Horn

Going to New York at the beginning of march for a long weekend, 3 nights in total. Staying in a hotel looking over Central Park. Need some advice on places to go things to see. There are 8 of us going (5 girls and 3 boys) so i'm looking for stuff to keep everyone happy.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

The Plaza is over-rated and smells of horse-pish ;)

Try and divide the city into segments to visit. That way you'll make the most of your time.

Do the southern end of Manhattan one day. Visit the South Street Seaport, Ground Zero and eat in Chinatown (trust me, the best place to go is Wo Hop's, downstairs, on Mott Street). Shop for cheap stuff on Canal Street.

Do Midtown one day. Macy's, Empire State, walk up 5th ave, Rockerfeller Ctr, Trump Tower.

If you want to see the game, you can go to the LFC pub downtown at the 11th street bar. But, I'd recommend going to Clancy's on 2nd ave, it will be closer for you.

For good Italian go to Carmines (two locations, one on 44th + Broadway and one on 91st and Broadway. Humungous portions for a good price.

There is a great facility just down the road from where you are staying at Columbus Circle. The Time Warner Center has a great bar and also a great Jazz Bar, both overlooking Central Park South -- a really amazing view. But, it's not cheap.

Anything else?

If you want to see the game, you can go to the LFC pub downtown at the 11th street bar. But, I'd recommend going to Clancy's on 2nd ave, it will be closer for you.

:nono:

Staten Island ferry - it's free & great views of the financial dist.

Katz or 2nd Ave Deli (at 9th street) for a bit of history & great pastrami

Guggenheim and/or MoMA

The Tenement Museum is good & not one of the really touristy things to do

eat well & drink lots

if it's not fecking freezinf, the circle line tour is good.

Don't bother with the statue, but Ellis Island is supposed to be really good

Thanks NYR and Macca for the tips. Looks like a weeks worth!

Any places to stay away from and whats the weather generally like in the first week in march?

It will probably be 30-40 fahrenheit with snow a possibility.

I wouldn't worry about places to avoid if you stay in Manhattan, I just wouldn't bother going above 86th street.

Did something similar, but instead of Alan Alda it was Gerry Seinfeld. All i can say dont ever do what Gerry Seinfeld does because he is a sick, sick man.

hes not an irish jew ronnie....its jerry over there

well ill give the same info i always do for this thread

Washington sq on a sunday is a cool place to hang out.

Ellis Island is wonderful, the whole place smells of history

The tenement museum is also excellent. The JP Morgan library is also interesting but as of November was shut

Guggenheim is worth the walk around, if not for the art

and MoMA has just been totally revamped and is meant to be great (it was very good before)

If you fancy a night out "old style", see who's playing at the Oak Room at the Algonquin. Dinner Cabaret of the highest quality, but full of older folk so be warned!

Take your walking shoes and you could do far worse than walk up Central Park West to about 85th-90th, cross the park, fifth and walk back down Madison