By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The Next Liverpool Manager

Kid Klopp

54 minutes ago, Hus said:

It feels like it's all been agreed and is now playing out in the press, especially with that chap from Bournemouth having already confirmed he's leaving. 

I guess he could also be off to Chelsea, they seem to be after everyone! 

He's Howes mate as well and didn't Newcastle just lose someone to United? 

Though not sure Howe will be there much longer

Edited by Barnesy_10

21 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

He's Howes mate as well and didn't Newcastle just lose someone to United? 

Though not sure Howe will be there much longer

Yep, the Newcastle chap has been put on gardening leave. Talk that UTD must pay circa £10-20mil to get him earlier.

I'm pretty sure I saw an article dismissing the Hughes - Newcastle links, but who knows.

12 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

I am unable to read this article, however the headline is pretty explanatory. What’s the Hughes angle?

He did a long article in The Athletic earlier in the week basically saying Edwards has shown no intention of coming back and that Liverpool should just move on.

14 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

I am unable to read this article, however the headline is pretty explanatory. What’s the Hughes angle?

Apparently, Hughes and Edwards are good friends.

So the Twittersphere is going with Hughes leaving + further talks with Edwards can only mean one thing.

Plus copy and tweet merchant (Fabrizio) is reporting that Hughes is our preferred candidate for SD.

17 hours ago, muleskinner said:

Loves LFC and always seems a very nice man.

I've met Harry more than once, he's very popular on the South Coast and I quite like him. I have a pathological hatred of his son though

3 minutes ago, Murphman said:

I've met Harry more than once, he's very popular on the South Coast and I quite like him. I have a pathological hatred of his son though

Jamie or the other one? Jamie is harmless enough I think tbh, he's led a charmed life tho.

10 minutes ago, Dan said:

He did a long article in The Athletic earlier in the week basically saying Edwards has shown no intention of coming back and that Liverpool should just move on.

Cheers dude

6 minutes ago, Hus said:

Apparently, Hughes and Edwards are good friends.

So the Twittersphere is going with Hughes leaving + further talks with Edwards can only mean one thing.

Plus copy and tweet merchant (Fabrizio) is reporting that Hughes is our preferred candidate for SD.

I realise my error now, there are 2 Hughes angles. I meant the Si flavoured Hughes rather than the Richard picture.

• Like 1

Just now, muleskinner said:

Jamie or the other one? Jamie is harmless enough I think tbh, he's led a charmed life tho.

The other one is a coke head apparently but I don't know anything about him. Jamie irritates the fckin life out of me, I'm surprised how many ex Liverpool players in the media get right on my grumpy old t1ts.

1 minute ago, Murphman said:

The other one is a coke head apparently but I don't know anything about him. Jamie irritates the fckin life out of me, I'm surprised how many ex Liverpool players in the media get right on my grumpy old t1ts.

I feel the all the answers you seek are in the words you already said.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Murphman said:

Let it go man

Despite the noise surrounding alternative candidates, the preferred option has always been Bayer Leverkusen’s Xabi Alonso. From the outset, the club has sought to be respectful of Alonso and Leverkusen’s current ambitions in the knowledge the ex-midfielder is fully aware he is on FSG’s radar and conversations can be held as and when all parties deem it most appropriate. [Telegraph Sport]

Alonso is the leading candidate for the Liverpool manager’s job but the Premier League leaders, unlike Bayern Munich, wish to respect his attempts to win the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen rather than enter a public courtship of their popular former midfielder. Alonso is acutely aware of Liverpool’s interest but the Sporting coach Rúben Amorim, who has other suitors, is also under consideration.  - Guardian

Here’s Joyce’s piece in the Times for those who haven’t seen it.

Michael Edwards in talks with Liverpool owners over possible return

Former sporting director had turned down initial approach, with Fenway Sports Group set to offer him wider position to prepare for life after Jürgen Klopp

March 7 2024, The Times

Michael Edwards has held face-to-face talks with Liverpool’s owners as they attempt to persuade him to return to the club and help oversee the post-Jürgen Klopp era.

The meeting took place in Boston last weekend, with Edwards speaking to the Fenway Sports Group (FSG) owner, John W Henry, and president Mike Gordon. The talks are a significant development given that Edwards had previously turned down an initial approach to come back to Liverpool.

It is unclear at this stage exactly what pitch Henry and Gordon made to Edwards, who spent a decade at Liverpool between 2012 and 2022, but the role would be above his previous job as sporting director.

Edwards had attended the Business of Football Summit in London at the end of last week before flying to Boston for the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

He attended in his capacity as a consultant for Ludonautics, the company set up by Ian Graham, Liverpool’s former director of research. Graham was one of the conference’s panellists and it was also an opportunity to speak to prospective clients.

FSG’s annual owners’ meeting took place in Bonita Springs in Florida last week, and upon completion of that the meeting with Edwards was arranged.

Edwards was promoted to the sporting director position in 2016 and was instrumental in the success the club have enjoyed under Klopp. His transfer acumen, both in terms of incomings and outgoings, helped to shape a squad that have won multiple honours, including the Premier League title in 2019-2020 and the Champions League in 2019.

He has made it clear that he will not be a sporting director again, and the fact that FSG knew that and still pushed to meet him indicates they are proposing a wider role for him.

Clarity on whether Edwards will be tempted to return to Anfield is expected soon, with Liverpool looking to make progress in building a structure that will ensure Klopp’s successor as manager has the best chance of maintaining the club’s success.

Xabi Alonso, the former Liverpool midfielder who has guided Bayer Leverkusen to a ten-point lead at the top of the Bundesliga, remains a leading candidate for the manager position although there is interest in him from another of his former clubs, Bayern Munich. The Sporting head coach, Rúben Amorim, is also being considered.

Should Edwards return, he would then select the sporting director. He has a high regard for Richard Hughes, who has announced he will leave his post as the Bournemouth technical director in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

Met Jamie Redknapp through work. Unbelievably nice fella. 

Had England schoolboy trials at Lilleshall with Redknapp junior, back in the day. 

• Like 4