By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Leeds (A) Sun 4.30pm

Dan

i dont mind riise either, he played his part in istanbul and scored some screamers. went badly downhill from there, but still evens itself out in my mind

bjornebye had his moments, but was well off the quality of our right backs at the time

but kippe, leonardson and kvarme.... yeah, we deserve haaland

3 minutes ago, surf said:

i dont mind riise either, he played his part in istanbul and scored some screamers. went badly downhill from there, but still evens itself out in my mind

bjornebye had his moments, but was well off the quality of our right backs at the time

but kippe, leonardson and kvarme.... yeah, we deserve haaland

Yeah, they were way off required quality. Non-conference players at best.

22 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Riise, love him or hate him, is our best ever Norwegian by a million miles 

I liked Heggem, he was excited

did a nice turn once on the touchline (against villa?) and scored a brilliant goal. dont remember much else

2 hours ago, surf said:

did a nice turn once on the touchline (against villa?) and scored a brilliant goal. dont remember much else

Scored against Middlesbrough in two separate games as I recall.

Riise doesn't deserve to be thrown in with this lot.

3 hours ago, surf said:

Wasn't he a left-back?

I remember watching Wales play Norway and he and Rush were kicking lumps out of each other, which made me think Rush thought he was a pr*ck.

20 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

Wasn't he a left-back?

I remember watching Wales play Norway and he and Rush were kicking lumps out of each other, which made me think Rush thought he was a pr*ck.

Yeah, i meant that we had some good right backs in the 90s(Jones, McAteer, Heggem when fit), setting a benchmark for how good full backs can be. Compared to his opposite number he was disappointing.

8 minutes ago, honourablegeorge said:

Think he gets a disproportionate amount of grief for some mistakes late in his career, but he was part of a lot of good stuff. 

I would need hypnosis to forget or forgive the Chelsea CL incident before assessing him correctly

28 minutes ago, honourablegeorge said:

Think he gets a disproportionate amount of grief for some mistakes late in his career, but he was part of a lot of good stuff. 

I think the exact opposite. He was part of 2 or 3 good things early in his career and that masked almost 10 years of mediocrity.

12 minutes ago, psl said:

Very harsh. He was part of a defence that got to 2 CL finals for a start.

Traore was the left back in 04/05. I thought he was a bit crap for a lot of his Liverpool career. He'd one good season at left back under Rafa from what I remember.

Edited by PaulMcC186

16 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

Traore was the left back in 04/05. I thought he was a bit crap for a lot of his Liverpool career. He'd one good season at left back under Rafa from what I remember.

Ok, fair point.  Part of a team then.

11 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

It probably is very harsh. He was poor for years though. Every attack stopped with him for seasons in a row. Then he'd hit one in the net from 25 yards and get to keep his place.

We weren't that good at finding alternatives. vignal, insua, traore, dossena, konchesky all s***. zenden was average. the only good ones were aurelio (often injured) and carragher/arbeloa (being played out of position)

And now we're talking about disappointing left backs, Christian Ziege. I was really excited about that signing, why didnt that work out?

3 hours ago, surf said:

We weren't that good at finding alternatives. vignal, insua, traore, dossena, konchesky all s***. zenden was average. the only good ones were aurelio (often injured) and carragher/arbeloa (being played out of position)

And now we're talking about disappointing left backs, Christian Ziege. I was really excited about that signing, why didnt that work out?

That season Ziege signed I think we had the best defence in the league in terms of goals conceded. I may be wrong on that but it was pretty impressive generally.  

Doesn't mean we were any better in footballing terms of course but...