Ajax (A) - Weds 21 Oct, 20.00h, European Cup Group D - Game 1

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hendo makes such a difference to us.

I think we all needed that win quite badly.

1 hour ago, philmatthews said:

There's no chance that Klopp would play the world's best left back out of position ahead of actual centre backs like Rhys Williams or Billy Koumetio. He'd more likely play Gini there than Robertson.

I'd had a look at the circumstances of the mad 3 at the back we had against Brighton. Here is what Wijnaldum said about it. That day we were missing Klavan, Matip and Gomez. We had Lovren fit. Van Dijk arrived later than month.

Can't see us going to 3 at the back if we have 2 of any of Gomez, Matip, Fabinho. But its getting to a stage where it might be a decision between 3 experienced players in a different shape or same formation but with 1 inexperienced player (be it a younger defender or an older midfielder like Wijnaldum). 

"It was difficult, especially the first half because I have never played there, but the manager was running out of options with players who were sick," Wijnaldum said.

"So Emre and I we had to play there. For Emre it wasn't that different because he has played there before, but for me it was difficult because you need to know when to close spaces".

He added: "We were training a day before the game, [Klopp] didn't tell me, he just picked the team and he told me I was at the back".

"He picked the first XI and told I me I was at the back. Normally I am a player who can play in different positions, but never in defence. The manager was running out of options and he picked me and Emre. It was really hard in the first because I didn't know what to do every time."

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald
35 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

I'm not getting the logic of being short at centre half so playing 3 instead of 2.

I threw that one out there to see what it looks like given (i) Van Dijk is out, (ii) Gomez/Matip have missed games in the past and (iii) Klopp did a mad 3 at the back at Brighton once before.

Its 3 players playing in a back line made up of 1-2 CBs and 1-2 "other" like a full back. Similar to Tierney at Arsenal.

If we play the 2 full backs "high" with freedom when we only have 2 CBs, then can we push them higher if we have 3 players in the last line of defence. And if we have play them higher, Jota could play the left side, and TAA could become even more attacking.

Bobby would lose out, play Mane/Salah ala Suarez/Sturridge as a split left/right striker. Hendo and Thiago play in a 2 with a 3rd midfielder to be more attacking like Jones.

I wonder if Tsimikas ever played in a back 3. But that was the thought process - dwindling CBs yet 4-5 full backs are available. I wouldn't see him going to 3 unless he is in a bad place, I think he trusts the system and way of playing too much to change. But if he does go there, I wonder what it looks like.

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald
1 hour ago, Rory Fitzgerald said:

I threw that one out there to see what it looks like given (i) Van Dijk is out, (ii) Gomez/Matip have missed games in the past and (iii) Klopp did a mad 3 at the back at Brighton once before.

Its 3 players playing in a back line made up of 1-2 CBs and 1-2 "other" like a full back. Similar to Tierney at Arsenal.

If we play the 2 full backs "high" with freedom when we only have 2 CBs, then can we push them higher if we have 3 players in the last line of defence. And if we have play them higher, Jota could play the left side, and TAA could become even more attacking.

Bobby would lose out, play Mane/Salah ala Suarez/Sturridge as a split left/right striker. Hendo and Thiago play in a 2 with a 3rd midfielder to be more attacking like Jones.

I wonder if Tsimikas ever played in a back 3. But that was the thought process - dwindling CBs yet 4-5 full backs are available. I wouldn't see him going to 3 unless he is in a bad place, I think he trusts the system and way of playing too much to change. But if he does go there, I wonder what it looks like.

There will have to be creative situations at points. There is a (very) good chance we will be without Gomez and Matip for some games, given their injury record. We could have to play inexperienced players there so some tweaking will be needed.

27 minutes ago, Boca said:

What's the story with Tsimikas? Is he injured?

Yes

7 minutes ago, psl said:

Its s*** that we have to keep playing games without Thiago.

He's had an interesting few weeks with us, made his debut and ran the game, gave away a penalty, out with Covid, watched us lose 7-2, and then was the victim of an attempted murder in the derby while running the game again

27 minutes ago, FakeNewsBear said:

Am guessing the team is 

Ghost Hands 

TAA Gomez Fab Robbo

Gini Hendo Keita 

Salah Bobby Mane 

Bobby needs a good game, as does Naby. 

Phillips (is he still here? ) or Williams or Billy the Kid on the bench? 

Billy not in CL squad. Something to do with not being at the club long enough I think you have to be regsitered for 2 years when in the b list?

37 minutes ago, FakeNewsBear said:

Am guessing the team is 

Ghost Hands 

TAA Gomez Fab Robbo

Gini Hendo Keita 

Salah Bobby Mane 

Bobby needs a good game, as does Naby. 

Phillips (is he still here? ) or Williams or Billy the Kid on the bench? 

Bobby needs a rest 

( cue epic hat-trick)