Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've been looking at this recently, dabbling in. Over the course of the past few months I've made about £200-300 just quickly buying and selling via Trading 212. On one particular occasion I nearly got greedy and went all in on something which would have cost me thousands, so it was a decent lesson in how to do it.

I'm now focused on making investments in Microsoft, Amazon, Tesla and Snowflake and have created a portfolio which I have put a bulk amount in, and now looking at monthly deposits.

Key thing is to probably take a more longer term view of it, My initial view and still is, that you can make a lot of money relaitvely quickly and easily if you play it right, but you've got to have that cash spare to do it. I.E When I nearly lost thousands on SPI Energy I was about to go all in on £1k worth of stock which was basically going up £5 every minute, and each share was £35 so do the maths, but it crashed very very quickly to £10 a share. 

It's actually quite scary, but I'm hoping to put more down over the coming weeks on the basis that hopefully a Biden win will cause stocks to go up quite a bit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a terrible company run by a terrible person though https://jalopnik.com/tesla-owner-who-butt-dialed-a-4-000-upgrade-hasnt-gott-1845358519

He’s hedging its textbook stuff 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Ant said:

but I'm hoping to put more down over the coming weeks on the basis that hopefully a Biden win will cause stocks to go up quite a bit.

 

I'm guessing that the uptick from the win and not on company fundamentals will be made on private polling paid for by hedge funds and the like through the poll count

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, muleskinner said:

A Yes vote for weed is not the sure thing it was looking a while back apparently.

yeah, that's why the stocks have been so volatile - there's Cronos, Canopy Growth & Tilray that the wife & I have chucked some cash into. It's just play money though, if they do well then great, if they tank we don't lose much.

There are tons of others too - obviously.

31 minutes ago, Ant said:

I've been looking at this recently, dabbling in. Over the course of the past few months I've made about £200-300 just quickly buying and selling via Trading 212. On one particular occasion I nearly got greedy and went all in on something which would have cost me thousands, so it was a decent lesson in how to do it.

I'm now focused on making investments in Microsoft, Amazon, Tesla and Snowflake and have created a portfolio which I have put a bulk amount in, and now looking at monthly deposits.

Key thing is to probably take a more longer term view of it, My initial view and still is, that you can make a lot of money relaitvely quickly and easily if you play it right, but you've got to have that cash spare to do it. I.E When I nearly lost thousands on SPI Energy I was about to go all in on £1k worth of stock which was basically going up £5 every minute, and each share was £35 so do the maths, but it crashed very very quickly to £10 a share. 

It's actually quite scary, but I'm hoping to put more down over the coming weeks on the basis that hopefully a Biden win will cause stocks to go up quite a bit.

 

If you're looking at more significant cash though you should be maxing out your pension first & taking the tax benefits that go with it. 

It's also very easy to fool ourselves that we're great at this while riding the tide of the markets rising & rising. 

If you'd sold heavily in Feb - as I was talking to mates about doing with my Robinhood stuff - and then bought it all back in March you'd have about 50% more now. Hindsight eh

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

If you're looking at more significant cash though you should be maxing out your pension first & taking the tax benefits that go with it. 

depends on the purpose of your investment and if you still want to have access to it

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

yeah, that's why the stocks have been so volatile - there's Cronos, Canopy Growth & Tilray that the wife & I have chucked some cash into. It's just play money though, if they do well then great, if they tank we don't lose much.

There are tons of others too - obviously.

If you're looking at more significant cash though you should be maxing out your pension first & taking the tax benefits that go with it. 

It's also very easy to fool ourselves that we're great at this while riding the tide of the markets rising & rising. 

If you'd sold heavily in Feb - as I was talking to mates about doing with my Robinhood stuff - and then bought it all back in March you'd have about 50% more now. Hindsight eh

I think however there are things which are potential sure fire if you have the balls. 

I made £30 on Tesla the other month - and think that if I bought a couple of shares now, that within the next 5-10 years they'll easily quadruple in size. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

hookers & blow

well unless you want to wait until you're in your mid to late 50s for either sticking the money in your pension is not the way to go

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Stakeholder pension statement today. The value of the pot has gone down 20% between April 2019 and April 2020. This is largely pre-Covid so is somewhat worrying. Before I ring them tomorrow or Monday what can I expect to have happened to it over the past six months?

Basically, do I now owe *them* money!? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cam said:

Got my Stakeholder pension statement today. The value of the pot has gone down 20% between April 2019 and April 2020. This is largely pre-Covid so is somewhat worrying. Before I ring them tomorrow or Monday what can I expect to have happened to it over the past six months?

Basically, do I now owe *them* money!? 

The FTSE 100 is up a couple of percent from April so it's probably not moved much in value since then.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2020 at 15:15, Ant said:

I think however there are things which are potential sure fire if you have the balls. 

I made £30 on Tesla the other month - and think that if I bought a couple of shares now, that within the next 5-10 years they'll easily quadruple in size. 

Tesla are still losing money aren't they?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Redwire said:

The FTSE 100 is up a couple of percent from April so it's probably not moved much in value since then.

Just rung them. Luckily it's bounced back and is just ahead of where it was in April.  They admitted it was the worst possible time for them to do statements up until.  I admitted I had barely slept with the anxiety.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hassony said:

Tesla are still losing money aren't they?

I think they hit manufacturing targets in Q2 this year & were cash positive (small, very small steps) and the stock rocketed.

 

Was meddling with my wife's 401k last night -

 

Draftkings - there's one I'd forgotten about. It's a sports betting firm, Michael Jordan has taken an equity stake in it. It's around $46 right now

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cam said:

Just rung them. Luckily it's bounced back and is just ahead of where it was in April.  They admitted it was the worst possible time for them to do statements up until.  I admitted I had barely slept with the anxiety.

You've rung the footsie 100? Didn't know you could do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2020 at 14:41, Cam said:

Just rung them. Luckily it's bounced back and is just ahead of where it was in April.  They admitted it was the worst possible time for them to do statements up until.  I admitted I had barely slept with the anxiety.

Are you invested in a FTSE Tracker fund?

On 16/10/2020 at 01:12, Redwire said:

The FTSE 100 is up a couple of percent from April so it's probably not moved much in value since then.

It’s down about 22% from its peak.

v high risk thing to be in. Dominated by the performance of a dozen or so stocks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cobs said:

You can DM me the names of your funds

Will do tomorrow when I'm back home. Cheers Cobs. 

Pretty sure they're just called "wot the nice man at Nationwide recommended". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cam said:

Will do tomorrow when I'm back home. Cheers Cobs. 

Pretty sure they're just called "wot the nice man at Nationwide recommended". 

Yes, I can imagine 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2020 at 14:02, Ant said:

I've been looking at this recently, dabbling in. Over the course of the past few months I've made about £200-300 just quickly buying and selling via Trading 212. On one particular occasion I nearly got greedy and went all in on something which would have cost me thousands, so it was a decent lesson in how to do it.

I'm now focused on making investments in Microsoft, Amazon, Tesla and Snowflake and have created a portfolio which I have put a bulk amount in, and now looking at monthly deposits.

Key thing is to probably take a more longer term view of it, My initial view and still is, that you can make a lot of money relaitvely quickly and easily if you play it right, but you've got to have that cash spare to do it. I.E When I nearly lost thousands on SPI Energy I was about to go all in on £1k worth of stock which was basically going up £5 every minute, and each share was £35 so do the maths, but it crashed very very quickly to £10 a share. 

It's actually quite scary, but I'm hoping to put more down over the coming weeks on the basis that hopefully a Biden win will cause stocks to go up quite a bit.

 

Watch out for your tax liabilities on this. I wouldn't be betting on a Biden victory causing the stock market to go up either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...