Everton - 17 oct - 12.30pm

3 hours ago, kop205 said:

Bluemoon isn't really that extreme an embodiement of the country at large in some ways.

Yeah, sometimes it is just dead funny seeing the despair our success has brought people but at others it is all a bit depressing.

Yeah I recall someone on here going on a Villa forum and the comments being similarly extreme. Largely just silly men on the internet (I prefer..) but I agree there is a more virulent, general dislike of us for all the reasons laid out above.

Like, people hate Manchester United and their fans, for all their successes and general unpleasantness, but they don’t hate Manchester. The antipathy toward us is something very different. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bored of hearing about people speculate about this season and how it's going to be 'mad' and we're going to have another freak winner like Leicester and could it even be Everton. Let's just smash

Get in. Come on Sadio lad, get into these twice relegated c****.

Posted Images

And there’s a weird trashing of the city that still goes on. By young lads who’ve almost never been to Liverpool and often come from places nowhere near as virbrant as Liverpool. It’s weird.

Kop205 is right. Loads comes back to Hillsborough. Not many fanbases would have fought back so ferociously and the cap-doffing swathes of the country can’t deal with it. 

Years ago there was a newspaper or an academic article, can't remember which, where it was claimed that the hate of Scousers intensified over the past few decades (80's and 90's, I'd assume) as a continuation of the hate of the Irish, when it became less ok to hate the actual Irish - which was universally understood to be racist - whereas hating Scousers was not, with Liverpool being situated in England but Scousers opposing Englishness, and being descended from the Irish anyway.

Something along these lines. Made perfect sense to me. The enemies within. The Toxteth riots, Heysel, Hillsborough and us being really good at footy fuelled it further. 

Edited by Foxtrot
  • Like 1
On 24/10/2020 at 18:35, Foxtrot said:

Years ago there was a newspaper or an academic article, can't remember which, where it was claimed that the hate of Scousers intensified over the past few decades (80's and 90's, I'd assume) as a continuation of the hate of the Irish, when it became less ok to hate the actual Irish - which was universally understood to be racist - whereas hating Scousers was not, with Liverpool being situated in England but Scousers opposing Englishness, and being descended from the Irish anyway.

Something along these lines. Made perfect sense to me. The enemies within. The Toxteth riots, Heysel, Hillsborough and us being really good at footy fuelled it further. 

I don't believe most/a lot of England believe being anti Irish is wrong. 

Edited by PaulMcC186
1 hour ago, Jarg Armani said:

Not changed much have they:

"At the end of the 1892-93 season, the Merseyside Derby was finally born as Everton and Liverpool met on the field of play for the first time, in the final of the annual local competition, the ‘Liverpool Senior Cup’. Liverpool won a bruising and bad-tempered match 1-0. That was painful enough for Everton, but what made it intolerable was that the goalscorer was their former team-mate, Tom Wyllie, one of the very few players who had stayed at Anfield during the split. As soon as the final whistle blew, the Everton players and staff made a massive public scene, accusing Liverpool players of serious foul play, and the referee of doing a farcically bad job. (Sounds like a familiar Everton song.) The argument carried on for hours, with Everton forcing the organisers to carry out an immediate investigation into the staging of the match, and to check for possible corruption. Disappointed Liverpool players were denied the opportunity to receive the trophy while the inquest was carried out. At the end of it, Everton’s protest was dismissed – almost certainly correctly – as a frivolous case of sour grapes, and Liverpool received the trophy after all, but not on the day or in front of their supporters."

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Redwire said:

... a frivolous case of sour grapes, and Liverpool received the trophy after all, but not on the day or in front of their supporters."

Adds weight to my almost-certainly-correct theory that Covid was deliberately started by a bitter Blue.

Probably the one that used to post on here. 

On 24/10/2020 at 12:07, muleskinner said:

Preaching to the congregation wasn't he. Get it but its still s***house stuff by him.

He's done his job, wouldn't expect any less to be honest. Good he got called out though. Should happen more often

8 hours ago, Benzo-13 said:

That’s brilliant. They’re so prickly a fan base as seen in the responses!

The worst fan base on twitter as far as I can see. City and United and maybe even we have more weirdo, troll teenagers with players as their avatar, but Everton are so f***ing angry and chippy on there. 

9 minutes ago, Swipe said:

The worst fan base on twitter as far as I can see. City and United and maybe even we have more weirdo, troll teenagers with players as their avatar, but Everton are so f***ing angry and chippy on there. 

And Everton’s are also actual adults who go to the match. 

33 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Loads of flag nonces and racists too.  

1 hour ago, Hightown Phil said:

And Everton’s are also actual adults who go to the match. 

Were they always this bad? Didn't they use to call it the friendly derby at one stage? 

36 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Were they always this bad? Didn't they use to call it the friendly derby at one stage? 

Ah always. I always remember coming over from Dublin and you’d get a Blue nose cabby from John Lennon and he’d go on about how Agger was gay and that Fowler had a habit.. they just can’t help themselves.

43 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Always

When I was up there in the John Barnes era it felt like they made sure for any conversation to include some oblique / and often less oblique references to bananas.  They were racist c****

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Hassony said:

It wasn't very friendly in the 70s by all accounts, but probably only amongst the niche loons.

80s defo seemed to see a bit of a thawing, probably for socio economic reasons I guess. Even then, behind the shared buses to Wembley etc, I'd imagine the needle was there if you looked for it.

I reckon mid 90s was when the ugliness amongst their fans really entered the mainstream. Royle, Ferguson, Dogs of War and all that. Part their ongoing inferiority complex, part being emboldened by our demise, part the time passed since the tragedies of the 80s meaning that any solidarity had faded away.

I don't know a single one who, if you scratch even a tiny bit beneath the surface, doesn't go pretty quickly to some pretty dark places. I avoid talking to them about football where remotely possible.

Edited by kop205
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Benzo-13 said:

Ah always. I always remember coming over from Dublin and you’d get a Blue nose cabby from John Lennon and he’d go on about how Agger was gay and that Fowler had a habit.. they just can’t help themselves.

Haha I think I had that every time I've been over for a match. Until Uber became more of a thing anyway.

'We just want justice for Heysel as well'. Honestly heard that more than once in cabs.

8 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

They booed the minute's silence for Hillsborough at the McAllister derby in 2001.

I wasn't at that game but wasn't it  more pissed up people arriving at their seats during it, others trying to shut them up, and it spiraling from there? That was defo the 'official' line at the time but even watching in the alehouse that was one moody game and in many ways set the template for everything since.

Here are loads fuming there's a minute's silence for Hillsborough at FA cup game.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/11-12/news/21032.html

The minute's silence got cut short in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/1281886.stm

Just now, kop205 said:

I wasn't at that game but wasn't it  more pissed up people arriving at their seats during it, others trying to shut them up, and it spiraling from there? That was defo the 'official' line at the time but even watching in the alehouse that was one moody game and in many ways set the template for everything since.

I wasn't at it but i think they had to apologise for it and it was that bad the ref cut it short.