Welcome Thiago Alcantara

1 hour ago, Hightown Phil said:

Isn’t so much a head scratcher as a man just saying he’s never seen him play, surely?!

He does all the CL stuff for Off The Ball so he's definitely seen him. He just comes out with mad stuff sometimes. He's one of those lads who'd rather watch a 0-0 than a 4-3

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People always refer to the performance I gave against Eltham College U12s but this boy has done it at an even higher level than that and that’s what’s got to excite.

Something like this, I suspect.....

I've always enjoyed calling him Cunny Kennigham, so I expected this retaliation to come at some point. I'm only sorry that he chose to come at me via my best friend Thiago Alcantara.

Posted Images

On 22/09/2020 at 08:52, honourablegeorge said:

Given his reference to the penalty tackle, I'd say he didn't even see the game

He did in fairness. I was listening to some of the game on the radio and he was co-commentating in Newstalk over here. While I don’t agree with him at all, he was making the criticism about Thiago not being able to tackle as soon as he came on - so a good bit before the penalty.

On 22/09/2020 at 09:28, Flasher said:

Nicely put. 

There were a couple of passes he made very quickly on Sunday that really caught the front three on their toes. Mane, Bobby and Salah will need to up their concentration slightly as he moves the ball on so quickly. 

Yep there was this one great pass to Bobby (that unfortunately he failed to control) that had me thinking, that's exactly why we signed him, incisive quick and one touch. Really looking forward to watching him conduct!

Cunningham is a moron.

Thiago is good defensively. You don't play where he did for Bayern Munich if you don't have a bit of nous. The penalty wasn't even a tackle. It was just bad luck. 

He's deceptively hard too. Thiago not Kenny Cunningham. 

Edited by Swipe

Has anyone had any thoughts about our main formation with Thiago in the team ? Do we stick to the same set up in midfield and put Thiago as the #6 and rest Fabinho for alot of games or do we put Thiago as one of the #8s and leave Fabinho at #6, or does Klopp try something different.

• 4-3-3: One #6 + two #8s 
    • (1) As Henderson can play the right-sided #8 and Fabinho in the #6, is it Wijnaldum most at threat as the left sided #8 and how effective will Thiago be there.
    • (2) Thiago plays the #6 but that rules out Fabinho as he won't be playing an #8

433Chelsea53.png

• 4-2-3-1: Two #6's + one #10 
    • (1) Thiago's preferred position as the #6, it allows another midfielder in there that can play that role (Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum). Klopp has played 4-2-3-1 at times with Salah as the central striker, Firmino deeper and Shaqiri out wide. Could Jota play one of the wide roles if Salah goes up front.
    • (2) Thiago and another midfielder plays the two #6 positions but its Firmino's position at risk with Keita/Wijnaldum/Jones pushed forward. Jota goes to the right, Mane left and Salah upfront

4231Leicester11.png

• 3-4-3: Three #6's 
    • A system to push the full backs even higher. When in possession deep, one of the midfielders drops deeper to let the back line fan out to spread the ball and shape up like a 3-2-5 when on the ball. Henderson & Thiago as the midfielders and Mane and Salah playing a little tighter with Robertson and TAA further up the pitch.

343Brighton51.png

• 4-2-2-2: A hybrid of 433 & 343 
    • Play two #6's and an #8. The #8 supports Firmino whilst one of the #6's has to be prepared to remain deep to allow the full backs push forward so Mane and Salah can take advantage of the space Firmino leaves.

4222Leicester40.png

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald
  • Like 1
On 25/09/2020 at 23:43, Rory Fitzgerald said:

3-4-3: Three #6's 

• A system to push the full backs even higher. When in possession deep, one of the midfielders drops deeper to let the back line fan out to spread the ball and shape up like a 3-2-5 when on the ball. Henderson & Thiago as the midfielders and Mane and Salah playing a little tighter with Robertson and TAA further up the pitch.

343Brighton51.png

are you trying to give me a heart attack?

anyway, to answer the question, i'd still see thiago in a midfield 3 (no massive change of system). 

thiago and fab can play different midfield roles and if they're on the pitch together i can see them switch between one holding and the other further forward throughout the game. 

there was an interesting guardian article about how thiago has lessened trents influence on the game: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/25/how-pass-master-thiago-alcantara-can-help-sustain-liverpools-highs

It will, though, mean changes. Trent Alexander-Arnold, for instance, was notably less involved as an attacking presence in the second half at Chelsea on Sunday – after Thiago came on, he delivered just one cross and played 28% fewer passes into the final third than he had in the first half. That may be temporary as players get used to each other and, even if it is not, it’s not necessarily a bad thing – a reduced workload may benefit the right-back in the long run, it may make Liverpool defensively more solid, and his forays down the right may be even more effective for being less consistent – but there is obviously a risk in potentially sacrificing a reliable attacking weapon in the quest for great variety. But then that’s the nature of evolution: progress rarely comes without some cost.

should be interesting to see how we develop as a team throughout the season, we definitely have more possibilities

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Maldini said:

I don't think we'll go 4-2-3-1. Fabinho played in a 2 at Monaco and had to adapt when he came here, same with Naby at Leipzig. 

That was the main alternative I was thinking of as we played a few with Salah upfront central in December last season. I just went back and noticed that we did the same in 2018 and 2017 i.e. 4231 played in December for a few games in those seasons.

I dont know whether that was as an adaption because we needed to rotate and let Shaqiri/Lallana come in and therefore changed the system.

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald

the downside to 4-2-3-1 is that we'll have salah, mo, bobby and jota on at the same time, which means no one on the bench to take their place if needed. i only see 4-2-3-1 as a last minute attacking option if we're chasing the game, not as something we can consistently play throughout the season as we just dont have the numbers

• Like 1
1 hour ago, surf said:

the downside to 4-2-3-1 is that we'll have salah, mo, bobby and jota on at the same time, which means no one on the bench to take their place if needed. i only see 4-2-3-1 as a last minute attacking option if we're chasing the game, not as something we can consistently play throughout the season as we just dont have the numbers

I think we're working towards having a second formation that we play more  regularly, 4-3-3 is great for us but a lot of teams have worked it out now - fortunately working it out and being good enough to stop it are two different things.

Said this further back in the thread but I'm not sure it's going to be a 4-2-3-1, more of a 4-1-2-1-2

Back 4

Fab

Thiago Hendo

Naby/Bobby

Mo                    Mane

With a more attacking variant against s***e teams that sit in - where Fab (or even Gomez playing there) has much more licence to push forward than a normal CB

TAA VVD Fab Robbo

Hendo

Thiago Gini

Naby/Bobby/Jota

Mo                        Mane

Edited by Gethin
  • Like 1

Fabinho does so much from the deeper midfield position, I just want him to keep doing his Vieira impression there. Playing Thiago deep would be 'fixing' what is already our strongest part of midfield. 

Our biggest lack in midfield is supporting the front three properly, combining with the forwards in and around the box and finding our forwards in space more often, helping to isolate defenders. Keita is our best option for this and he's not doing that consistently for various reasons. So that's where I'd hope to see Thiago play. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Kid Klopp said:

Fabinho does so much from the deeper midfield position, I just want him to keep doing his Vieira impression there. Playing Thiago deep would be 'fixing' what is already our strongest part of midfield. 

Our biggest lack in midfield is supporting the front three properly, combining with the forwards in and around the box and finding our forwards in space more often, helping to isolate defenders. Keita is our best option for this and he's not doing that consistently for various reasons. So that's where I'd hope to see Thiago play. 

All of this