• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should of course forgive people who make mistakes and apologise and try to make amends. I’ve never seen an example of a large number of people disagreeing with that. It’s not ok to be racist,

Nick Cave is wrong and Toby Young is a dick. 'Cancel culture' barely exists outside of the minds of 'classical liberal' / alt-right bellends like Toby Young and Niall Ferguson. They're painting a

I think it comes down to black women and trans people daring to have a voice all this tbh.  That’s where the phrasing comes from, that’s inevitably who we are talking about.

2 minutes ago, Molby said:

Did I say that all people calling for cancellation are dysfunctional ?

what I’m saying is that censorship is a tool to be used very sparingly and people who have an unnatural thirst for it are obv dysfunctional and not to be trusted in any way, just like fascists from the past 

You called them 'dysfunctional'. What makes them dysfunctional?

And regarding censorship being used sparingly - should we all let bygones be bygones and start reading The Sun now?

3 minutes ago, stressederic said:

You called them 'dysfunctional'. What makes them dysfunctional?

And regarding censorship being used sparingly - should we all let bygones be bygones and start reading The Sun now?

No but we shouldn’t see someone reading the Sun and decide in our heads that they’re a disgrace to humanity, tempting as it is 

you’ve picked a great example btw - this is the internal battle I have with myself often, and I try to tell myself ‘calm down, your experience isn’t theirs etc’ 

another thing: I don’t think I’ve received the book

Talk about insult to injury

Edited by Molby
10 minutes ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

We should of course forgive people who make mistakes and apologise and try to make amends. I’ve never seen an example of a large number of people disagreeing with that.

It’s not ok to be racist, sexist, homophobic or transphobic and think that saying “I have a right to free speech” is a good enough defence. If you do that then people will call you out, and rightly so.

I live my life trying to be kind, considerate and respectful to all people. I don't think that the quoted article in the OP would disagree with anything you say.

A browse through the Red Hand Files will demonstrate that in spades, there is a beautiful attitude to humanity and its struggles shining through it.

Just now, Molby said:

No but we shouldn’t see someone reading the Sun and decide in our heads that they’re a disgrace to humanity, tempting as it is 

you’ve picked a great example btw - this is the internal battle I have with myself often, and I try to tell myself ‘calm down, your experience isn’t theirs etc’ 

But us boycotting the Sun is exactly what cancel culture is 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Molby said:

Yes it is ‘cos you’ll disappear up your own backside, and nobody wants to see that

meantime I’m humming along to No Vaseline - antisemitisms left and right, along with the standard misogyny and homophobia - what you gonna do? I need it for my boxing training music

I tried putting on Silver Machine by Hawkind but nobody was in to it 

Hey they’re all banned you must now submit

Now report immediately to the place in your head where all this goes on.

Me I’m torching my Nick Cave doll under this new yellow sky.  (See, who f*** needs him?  He’d kill for that line)

3 minutes ago, Molby said:

I don't see a lot of people saying that those not supporting the 'cancellation' of people on twitter are a disgrace. Activity is generally directed at the individual who is to be 'cancelled'. I may well think people are d****eads for reading The Sun or the Mail etc and I'll draw conclusions on their political beliefs from that.

But not half as many conclusions as I'll draw about people who work/write for those newspapers.

That's the difference. If you make a living sending bile out into the world then you shouldn't be too surprised if people won't buy your newspaper.

You still keep your job though.

Because cancellation isn't real.

Edited by stressederic
Just now, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

But us boycotting the Sun is exactly what cancel culture is 

Yes I know

my point isn’t that people shouldn’t have reasons to call for boycotts in obvious cases where it’s justified

its that:

1 it’s happening too often 

2 those who don’t follow the boycott are being vilified, which is often unfair

and I’ve used the Sun as an example - I’ve had to catch myself numerous times and tell myself ‘ who the f*** are you ?’ Type of things when I’ve waded in on people reading it 

Just now, Molby said:

Yes I know

my point isn’t that people shouldn’t have reasons to call for boycotts in obvious cases where it’s justified

its that:

and I’ve used the Sun as an example - I’ve had to catch myself numerous times and tell myself ‘ who the f*** are you ?’ Type of things when I’ve waded in on people reading it 

When is this happening?  Is it because of  Wiley?  

6 minutes ago, Molby said:

Yes I know

its that:

Where? Who? When?

Also; out of interest, do you have anybody muted/ignored on here?

Edited by stressederic
3 minutes ago, smithdown said:

When is this happening?  Is it because of  Wiley?  

Dunno 

why what’s she done? She always seemed nice

wait do you mean Pete Wiley 

now that’s some dark s*** and he deserves more than cancelling 

8 minutes ago, Molby said:

Yes I know

its that:

Seems like you think it’s ok to boycott when something offends you, but when something offends other people they’re being over sensitive.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Molby said:

Dunno 

why what’s she done? She always seemed nice

wait do you mean Pete Wiley 

now that’s some dark s*** and he deserves more than cancelling 

In snooker you’d be forced to play again

like in fascism

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

Seems like you think it’s ok to boycott when something offends you, but when something offends other people they’re being over sensitive.

And 'dysfunctional'.

Both things that have, basically, been labelled at Liverpool fans over the years for their boycotts.

• Like 3

There’s only really been Morrissey anyway hasn’t there and that was white blokes who done that.  And he still carries on regardless.  Ian Watkin if that was his name maybe counts as the best example of it happening and again, that was his own fans.

8 minutes ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

The point I’m trying to make several times is that others might not engage with said boycott and shouldn’t be hounded 

I’m currently reading Tom Browns schooldays 

is that on the list? 

Just now, Molby said:

The point I’m trying to make several times is that others might not engage with said boycott and shouldn’t be hounded 

is that on the list? 

Who’s hounded someone for not engaging in a boycott?

2 minutes ago, Molby said:

is that on the list? 

Who is hounding them? I don't see anyone being persecuted for still buying R. Kelly records. I think they should probably have a word with themselves because f***ing hell the man is horrendous. But then 'Ignition' is a tune.

There is no central list. There is no wide spread cancellation.

Read and listen to whatever you want. 

Worst case scenario you might have to explain why when someone asks you. 

It's hardly a Stalinist Show Trial.

• Like 1

Once I had a job which I thought might have some profile in the local press. It didn’t, no one have a f*** and anyway I made no success of it. 
But I briefly worried that things I’d written on Twitter and even on here might surface and might threaten my career. Stupid jokes or opinions I had outgrown. So I understand people's fear of cancel culture but the truth is it’s nowhere near the fear that marginalised people live with all the time. Privileged dicks like me worrying we might be called out for the stupid s*** we’ve said should really be nowhere near anyone’s priority list.

• Like 3