20 minutes ago, psl said:

Yeah he has made this pretty clear from day one. If there was ever a season he would go all in on the FA Cup, it was last year, and he didn't even show up for one of the games. 

It's just the Klopp deal. All focus on the league and European Cup. I can live with that.

Yeah. The best way I can put it is that if we'd signed Werner, I wouldn't expect Werner, Salah, Mane or Firmino anywhere near the Bradford/Lincoln game next week whereas City will probably start Gabriel Jesus and Bernardo Silva.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wuhan originally

Look at you all. Brewster's Minions.

properly over it or just semi-skimmed ?

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Chewie said:

You can only pick one 

No. 20 or 

No. 7

?

Defending the title would be the more impressive feat

it would be 3yrs running hitting title winning totals, incredible consistency

I've been thinking about our form since resumption. We have seemed much more open down the centre of midfield and consequently the centre bcaks have looked more exposed.

I think there may be a couple of possible contributing factors.

1. Keita playing - he doesnt seem as able to impose himself physically as much as the others and therefore leaves us a bit light in there

2. lack of crowds. Its probably a bonkers theory but I wonder if the lack of crowd noise/support, especially at home, has had an impact on midfield most. They do the most running and pressing and I think at home they must be lifted up a notch in intensity and industry by the crowd. the training ground atmosphere seems to have just taken that edge off and consequently the high line we play is just exposed a little more.

Edited by Conrad
1 hour ago, Conrad said:

I've been thinking about our form since resumption. We have seemed much more open down the centre of midfield and consequently the centre bcaks have looked more exposed.

1. Keita playing - he doesnt seem as able to impose himself physically as much as the others and therefore leaves us a bit light in there

2. lack of crowds. Its probably a bonkers theory but I wonder if the lack of crowd noise/support, especially at home, has had an impact on midfield most. They do the most running and pressing and I think at home they must be lifted up a notch in intensity and industry by the crowd. the training ground atmosphere seems to have just taken that edge off and consequently the high line we play is just exposed a little more.

We haven’t had Henderson and Fabinho in same midfield for a while either. I feel more comfortable with those two, if we going to play keita ox or minamino as 3rd midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

You could argue the midfield started dipping once Fabinho came back in to it.  He was immense before the injury and Henderson was masterful as his cover but bringing him back in seemed to upset the apple cart very slightly.  But Fabinho will be back to full fitness now.  Both must start.

You're on to something with Keita.  And with Milner ageing and Ox struggling to get back to 100% even with regular game time the midfield is a real issue.  Basically we need a Thiago or it needs to be the main two plus one of Wijnaldum (away or against the big 6 at home) or Jones.

We're really going to struggle until crowds are back.

Benfica went out of the CL, which meant Ajax got promoted to pot 2 apparently.

So we will get one of Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Borussia Dortmund or Ajax in the group stages from that pot.

1 hour ago, Cam said:

We're really going to struggle until crowds are back.

You keep saying this. It’s the same for every team. We must be crap if we are going to go from champions to struggling because of it. 

2 hours ago, Swipe said:

Benfica went out of the CL, which meant Ajax got promoted to pot 2 apparently.

So we will get one of Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Borussia Dortmund or Ajax in the group stages from that pot.

Yup - first two pots are now settled.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedcl2020.html

Pot 3 now looking fairly handy with Leipzig, Salzburg, Inter & Atalanta in it

Group stage draw is on 1 October

Genuinely fascinated to see how Liverpool's midfield shapes up once Thiago is settled in. Fabinho & Ox aside they rest are pretty flexible in terms of the roles they can play.

One thing to keep an eye on this season is the distribution of assists across the squad.

Front 3 (Mo, Firmino & Mane): 19 + 8 + 7 = 34 (~43%)
Full-backs (Trent & Robertson): 13 + 12 = 25 (~32%)
Midfield (Hendo, Fabinho, Keita & Milner): 5 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 13 (~17%)
The rest (all max of 1 assist): 6 (~8%)

That's a huge skew towards the full-backs relative to midfield.

If, for example, giving more game time to Keita and Thiago at the expense of Milner and Wijnaldum means Liverpool play less through the full-backs and more through the centre of the pitch then we should expect to see these stats level out a bit.

• Like 1