By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Genealogy

Murphman

8 hours ago, New York Red said:

Just the website I signed up to. You just keep clicking back. If you have a notable ascendant, then it just all falls into place. It’s the MyHeritage website.

Same in my case. My mother's great grandmother was a Greene so it is fairly easy to track back from there because there are more records for the noble families (as well as a family crypt in Northamptonshire). She also married a Scottish noble so we can track both branches of this line. We also have hundreds of old deeds dating back to the 16th century so there is a lot of source material and have managed so far to identify a line that goes back to circa 635 BC.

My maternal grandfather's line is more of a challenge as his name was changed during World War 1 due to the fact that he is descended from Austro-Hungarian nobility and trying to locate reliable records is not helped by the intervention of both the Nazis and decades of the Iron Curtain. My father is of mixed Irish/Scottish descent but trying to trace his grandfather's birth is proving difficult due to the destruction of the records in the Civil War. I know he was born in Kilkenny and one of his brothers was the Archbishop of Liverpool in the 1920s but otherwise that part of the line is currently a dead end. 

3 hours ago, Gethin said:

Surely for most people it’s all a bit pointless once you’ve gone back 4 or 5 generations? 

It's like that programme that showed Danny Dyer is descended from Edward the third.  Pretty much every person with predominantly British ancestry is related to Edward the third.

3 hours ago, New York Red said:

It’s interesting to see who shows up. Owain Glyndwr is another one who shows up in mine also.

It's nonsense though.  If you go back to the early 15th century we're all pretty much related to everyone who was alive at that time.  Just pick the person from that era that you want to share kinship with and, bingo, they're a distant relative.

1 hour ago, Redwire said:

It's like that programme that showed Danny Dyer is descended from Edward the third.  Pretty much every person with predominantly British ancestry is related to Edward the third.

It's nonsense though.  If you go back to the early 15th century we're all pretty much related to everyone who was alive at that time.  Just pick the person from that era that you want to share kinship with and, bingo, they're a distant relative.

I agree. I said it earlier.

8 hours ago, Gethin said:

Surely for most people it’s all a bit pointless once you’ve gone back 4 or 5 generations? 

I don't know how anybody goes back further than that in Ireland, it's impossible to track from records if you're poor (which most were). However, in the UK I guess that depends on where it leads to, if your ancestors were people of note there are some amazing stories to be uncovered.

1 hour ago, Murphman said:

I don't know how anybody goes back further than that in Ireland, it's impossible to track from records if you're poor (which most were). However, in the UK I guess that depends on where it leads to, if your ancestors were people of note there are some amazing stories to be uncovered.

You go back 4 or 5 generations and there's so many branches of your tree that (for me) it stops being interesting or relevant going back further. As several people have said, you find you're related to someone famous from the 15thC - big f***ing deal, you and half the rest of the country :)

Like you, it would be pretty difficult anyway. I've got Irish and southern Italian branches (I'd still have the Italian surname if my Grandfather hadn't changed it) which would be pretty hard to trace from before they came to Wales. The wife has the same issue with Polish & Russian Jewish branches that came over late 1800s.

I'd be really interested to find out what caused them to emigrate, but the records won't exist and it'll almost certainly be "poverty" from my side and "persecution/genocide" on the wife's

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I'd done quite well overall, more or less had gone as far back as was interesting with all strands of my family and learned a lot on the way.The only gap was my Great Grandparents both born in Ireland, died in Liverpool, nothing I could find about them other than what was already know, born in Wexford and Arklow, it ended there.

Then on Friday out of the blue a cousin from Dublin contacted me, a DNA match she had one person missing from her tree, my great grandfather John Doyle, born in Wexford in 1877, died in Walton in 1948. This lady is fascinating, she left Dublin in 1970 to be with Indian boyfriend to whom she was married for47 years until he had a heart attack on his 60th birthday in Cyprus.

She's been sending me photos including Father Michael and Father Tom, two brothers bot men of the cloth. Because she's real it's all real time, I'm well pleased, we have a call scheduled for tomorrow and she is meeting her new cousins in Liverpool, some time soon.

Edited by Murphman
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Murphman said:

I'd done quite well overall, more or less had gone as far back as was interesting with all strands of my family and learned a lot on the way.The only gap was my Great Grandparents both born in Ireland, died in Liverpool, nothing I could find about them other than what was already know, born in Wexford and Arklow, it ended there.

Then on Friday out of the blue a cousin from Dublin contacted me, a DNA match she had one person missing from her tree, my great grandfather John Doyle, born in Wexford in 1877, died in Walton in 1948. This lady is fascinating, she left Dublin in 1970 to be with Indian boyfriend to whom she was married for47 years until he had a heart attack on his 60th birthday in Cyprus.

She's been sending me photos including Father Michael and Father Tom, two brothers bot men of the cloth. Because she's real it's all real time, I'm well pleased, we have a call scheduled for tomorrow and she is meeting her new cousins in Liverpool, some time soon.

Nice that, Murph. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Murphman said:

He was 13 when she married him??

• Like 1

After reading this I went on Ancestry for a wee feck about with my Tree, for anyone who hasnt been on it lately it is a lot more intuitive now and gives you hints. My daughter was getting interested so it sparked me to do a bit more on it. Got back to 

So anyhoos I knew my Granny was born in Garston and I had that connection to the area, as it happens there was another hint that came up and found out my third great grandfather although Scottish lived out his days in Toxteth, was a mad shagger and had lots of bairns. 

Anyone in the area with the Surname Edgar and there's a good chance we are related 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, libero said:

He was 13 when she married him??

I got that wrong it wasn't that long, but over 40 years.

4 hours ago, libero said:

After reading this I went on Ancestry for a wee feck about with my Tree, for anyone who hasnt been on it lately it is a lot more intuitive now and gives you hints. My daughter was getting interested so it sparked me to do a bit more on it. Got back to 

So anyhoos I knew my Granny was born in Garston and I had that connection to the area, as it happens there was another hint that came up and found out my third great grandfather although Scottish lived out his days in Toxteth, was a mad shagger and had lots of bairns. 

Anyone in the area with the Surname Edgar and there's a good chance we are related 🤣🤣

Thank f*ck it's you posting this and not me. I'd be getting the fecking Allen Poe jibes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, libero said:

I know more Edgars than one would expect but they’re all first names.  

The Scottish side of Liverpool is oft overlooked btw.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Murphman said:

I got that wrong it wasn't that long, but over 40 years.

Thank f*ck it's you posting this and not me. I'd be getting the fecking Allen Poe jibes.

Its the surname you old twonk!!!

Were you at School with Allen Poe??

🤣

Edited by libero