By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Forgotten players from the past

Hassony

Watching the  90s highlights on LFC youtube channel has been interesting, Owen, Fowler and Mcmanaman were all so good

But of the other  players, how do people remember them? 

Bjorneby for example,  he was our left back for ages, and I remember him as a steady left back with a good left foot, he ended up with a lot of assists for us didn't he? 

Surprised that Harkness was still with us in the 97/98 season, was he ever good enough for us?

Used to love Mcateer's 'bat out of hell' runs, but in hindsight,  was he good enough? 

Was surprised that Michael Thomas actually stayed with us that long as well, he was still there in 97/98 

I know Harkness was still playing for us after Collymore left in 97 - because having just come back from a devastating broken leg, his ex-teammate Stan nearly did him again with a (very deliberate) shocker at Villa Park. Stretchered off, break suspected, but 'just' ligaments.

But no, he wasn't good enough really. And Collymore had previously claimed he had been racially abused by Harkness, (but denied that is why he did him)

20 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Leonhardsen must have been one of the most uninspiring signings for us, not that he was particularly bad, just dead boring 

Evans certainly loved his Norwegians 

I am literally better at football than Leonhardsen. That is not hyperbole. I would have offered more in the team than him.

20 minutes ago, Hassony said:

I think Flo and Solksjaer were the only good ones when Roy was about and he managed to get neither. Even Johnsen was 48billion times better than Kvarme

Edited by sammy & a

You're all mad by the way, Bjornebye was terrible.

Heggem was probably the pick of a pretty poor bunch from our Norwegians.

I have no memory of this goal, even though I'm pretty sure I will have been at the match:

Edited by kop205

Just now, Stevie H said:

McAteer was a really in-demand dynamic midfielder when we signed him. Became a bit of a headless chicken after that though. 

He didn’t really fit into our style as a midfielder. Barnes was the lynchpin, Redknapp had a slot when fit and Thomas was massively useful and possibly under utilised in between Jamie’s post international duty holidays

36 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Leonhardsen must have been one of the most uninspiring signings for us, not that he was particularly bad, just dead boring 

In the 97-98 season when we drew 1-1 at Old Trafford and Owen got sent off, Leonhardsen got put through on the halfway line late in the 2nd half and seemed to run in treacle until being caught by the defence and fouling up the opportunity. It was painful.

1 hour ago, Hassony said:

Berger was probably the first exciting foreign player that we bought in the 90s,  shame that we didn't go for the likes of Bergkamp or Zola 

In really recent history, I can barely remember anything about Jan Kromkamp as a player. Presumably he wasn't very good as we shipped him immediately, but I couldn't tell you what his strengths and weaknesses were.

I used to watch Brookside in the early-mid 1990's before the time of the internet. I remember one scene where one of Mick Johnno's kids (Mick Johnson) had the home kit with the 3 white strips at the bottom of the jersey (the one Fowler scored the quick hat trick against Arsenal in) and it had Bjornebye's name on it. I found it quite unusual and that a Liverpool soap might have gone for a Liverpool local lad. I took it as a sign of widespread acceptance in Liverpool that he was viewed as decent. Without really having anything else to guage people's/fans reaction.

I watched the Forest v Liverpool game from Aug92 last night on Sky. I say watched, it was on in the background. Watching Rush when were out of possession was incredible, he was 31 at the time but he was flying about closing down defenders. He also got lippy with the ref and took a booking. 

Stuart Pearce in that game got body checked by Steve Nicol to block a run - very cynical from Nicol - Pearce was stopped in his tracks and just walloped Nicol with a boot to a***. The ref saw it and didnt even book him. Its a straight red today. Roy Keane raked his studs down Whelan's knee with a late one, no yellow card. Paul Stewart, Michael Thomas and Ronnie Whelan in midfield with Walters wide. 

4 hours ago, kop205 said:

I have no memory of this goal, even though I'm pretty sure I will have been at the match:

Have a feeling he scored 2 more, both against Middlesbrough in different games.

This may be way off however.

I do remember Titi's goal in that Bradford game was great.

Edited by psl

6 minutes ago, psl said:

Have a feeling he scored 2 more, both against Middlesbrough in different games.

This may be way off however.

I do remember Titi's goal in that Bradford game was great.

Remember thqt goal, a Messi like mazy run 

Edited by Hassony

4 hours ago, kop205 said:

I remember it really well and I have a pretty terrible memory for goals. Weird 

13 hours ago, kop205 said:

Bjornebye made the PFA team one year!

I can remember so desperately wanting us to sign Babb and Mcateer after the '94 World Cup, spent the summer refreshing Ceefax hoping to see the news break.

The McAteer thing was mad because there was the Stubbs joint transfer aspect to it... according to the newspapers.

Stig was a decent left back playing in a dysfunctional back four / back five, whereas Harkness was someone able to kick with his left.

Leonhardsen was Platt without the goals.