By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Gaming

Leo No.8

33 minutes ago, guernseygareth said:

Could someone help me with figuring out how to install games just on my account on our PS4, so that my lad won't see them on his log-in on the console. Google not really helping and I'd like not him not to have to be updating on Christmas morn if poss.

Thanks muchly

What issue are you trying to solve? Is it an age thing I.E so your lad can't go on GTA V and Shoot Prostitutes? 

Finally purchased The Last of Us II. A good few hours on. Graphically excellent. It’s definitely a slow burner at the moment but guessing like the original, it heavily ramps up later on, so I will reserve full judgment until I’ve finished it. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, philmatthews said:

Finally got round to playing Doom Eternal. It's so intense. I feel exhausted after playing it.

haha love Doom...

I remember buying DOOM II on release in the 90's when PC games came in massive boxes.... I didn't even have a PC at the time. I just was desperate to play it... a couple of months later my Dad came home with a 486SX 25mhz PC and set it up and after I got him off Encarta I had a go at playing Doom but had absolutely no idea how to boot it up.... then my sisters boyfriend came over that weekend and showed me how to boot games from dos and away I went... I played it straight through the night and into the next morning and was a quivering mess by the end of it. 

Since then I have probably bought about 20 different versions of it for different systems. 

1 minute ago, Barnesy_10 said:

haha love Doom...

I remember buying DOOM II on release in the 90's when PC games came in massive boxes.... I didn't even have a PC at the time. I just was desperate to play it... a couple of months later my Dad came home with a 486SX 25mhz PC and set it up and after I got him off Encarta I had a go at playing Doom but had absolutely no idea how to boot it up.... then my sisters boyfriend came over that weekend and showed me how to boot games from dos and away I went... I played it straight through the night and into the next morning and was a quivering mess by the end of it. 

Since then I have probably bought about 20 different versions of it for different systems. 

Ha! 

I miss those days (nights)  I could sit and play computer/console games through the night :)

10 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

haha love Doom...

I remember buying DOOM II on release in the 90's when PC games came in massive boxes....

I remember going to a Dixons or Currys and trying to buy a game, any game, you'd take the empty box up to the desk and they would go back into the store room to get the actual thing. They kept coming out and saying that the one I had chosen was sold out, and putting the empty box for the game they didn't have back on the shelf, drove me up the wall.

I used to become fixated with the release of a new game I'd been wanting. I'd go into the local store regularly prior to the release date because games often seemed to come out earlier than their original release date. 

I remember being obsessed with a tennis game for the megadrive - Davis Cup Tennis - which had been given a great review in the Gamesmaster magazine. Its release kept getting put back for some reason much to my annoyance and then there was the joy when I went into Virgin Megastore months later and it was there on the shelf out of the blue. 

It was actually a pretty average game in the end ;)

13 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

I remember going to a Dixons or Currys and trying to buy a game, any game, you'd take the empty box up to the desk and they would go back into the store room to get the actual thing. They kept coming out and saying that the one I had chosen was sold out, and putting the empty box for the game they didn't have back on the shelf, drove me up the wall.

haha yeah, Dixons was one of the worst for it, though they used to turn a blind eye to me and my mates descending on the store to play on the NES or Amiga they had set up every Saturday. 

I used to love old PC games came in massive boxes with big thick instruction manuals inside with some artwork on them. I remember getting Theme Park and that came in a great box and I spent ages studying the instruction manual between playing it. Couldn't check youtube for hints and s*** back then.

2 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

Couldn't check youtube for hints and s*** back then.

You used to have to buy a book!

I've still got some of the old Championship Manager boxes, Grim Fandango as well I think.

Tried to sell the CM ones on eBay a while ago, got a couple of sniffs but no real interest.

9 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

You used to have to buy a book!

I've still got some of the old Championship Manager boxes, Grim Fandango as well I think.

Tried to sell the CM ones on eBay a while ago, got a couple of sniffs but no real interest.

I am sure there was a phone line you could call too to get tips and tricks with games. Used to be in the back of the gaming magazines. 

Speaking of magazines, I remember when I got my Spectrum 48k+ for Christmas in the 80's and mum n dad were encouraging me to get into programming and they subscribed to a magazine called 'Input' and it got all put into a binder... Was full of proper 80s imagery for technology. I used to have to 'code' some simple maze games or breakout style games once a week to be allowed to play Knight Lore or Jetset Willy. 

Still got the binder now and I flick through it occasionally and it's nice seeing some of my dad's notes in there that he added to it

Paid off in the end as that's what I do for a job now like.. But at the time I was worried I would end up looking like Adrian Mole if I got too nerdy

Edited by Barnesy_10

4 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

The Acorn Electron magazine used to be full of games you copied out, can't believe I used to do that. Especially when it wouldn't work and you'd have to wait a month for the correction.

haha we had Acorn Archimedes in school...

This is one of the covers I found online from Input magazine... Proper cool

20170604_141005_large.jpg?v=1500408880

blimey, just found you can download them all here:

http://8bs.com/inputmagazine.htm

Edited by Barnesy_10

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/12/2020 at 02:00, crisps said:

Finally purchased The Last of Us II. A good few hours on. Graphically excellent. It’s definitely a slow burner at the moment but guessing like the original, it heavily ramps up later on, so I will reserve full judgment until I’ve finished it. 

I finally finished it yesterday,

Spoiler

really enjoyed it overall, it took me a while getting used to the idea of playing with Abby, but overall i thought it was a well thought-out sequel, the complaints about it and about the ending are ridiculous 

I’ve reached Platinum level in competitive ranked Apex Legends play, which puts me in the top 15% or so. Not bad for an old duffer with slowed down reflexes! As I did in football I’ve made up for my slower pace with a mixture of tactical awareness and dirty tricks.

I’m not sure what I would have done without this game to keep my competitive instincts busy during these intensely boring lockdown times. 

1 minute ago, Leo No.8 said:

I’ve reached Platinum level in competitive ranked Apex Legends play, which puts me in the top 15% or so. Not bad for an old duffer with slowed down reflexes! As I did in football I’ve made up for my slower pace with a mixture of tactical awareness and dirty tricks.

I’m not sure what I would have done without this game to keep my competitive instincts busy during these intensely boring lockdown times. 

should start a twitch

10 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

should start a twitch

My son has one and he follows a couple of streamers on there, smaller ones he can play with. Managed to get hold of a PS5 finally at the weekend so me and him can play together now as I go on the PS4, and we had our first duos win last night which was very cool!

Apex has skilled based match making and I’ve found myself put in games with Apex Predators quite a lot lately. On the one hand as they are top 500 in Europe it’s not much fun when you come up against one, but at the same time it’s kind of a compliment to find yourself in the same game as them!

When I first started playing Apex in the first lockdown I was absolutely terrible at it, I’d get murdered within seconds of landing (hadn’t played FPS games for years). But I liked the challenge of improving!  

Edited by Leo No.8

I remember 15 years ago a guy who was one of the top Quake players in the world joined our company. Lunchtime Quake sessions over LAN were never quite the same. A few of us thought we were amazing at Quake until we watched him. His instincts were crazy, he knew when things were going to re spawn and where. Even when we ganged up on him he battered us. 

Turned out he got into some world quake championship final against one other guy. 

He was s*** at Fifa though 😂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stanley Leisure said:

I stopped playing it, it’s ridiculously hard, I wasn’t quite prepared. 

Yeah, even on the Normal difficulty level. It's set up to punish you for every mistake, even down to picking the wrong weapon upgrade. I suppose that's the point of the game.

The orginal Doom is much more fun.