Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Looking after ourselves

Just now, Gunga Din said:

i'd have had a bakeoff with you but ive no eggs

Yeah we were lucky with eggs tbh.

Checking my privilege right here right now.

Can't do pets as I'm allergic to animal hair, brings on my asthma = not a good idea at any time let alone right now. But we got a bird feeder in the garden last week, and it's very pleasant having a flow of them in and out throughout the day.

Also, I travel for work a lot, so will be spending as much time with my wife over the next few weeks as we'd usually get in several months. (This is a good thing.)

18 minutes ago, smithdown said:

I’m baking a cake.  They say it helps.

Which kind?

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Which kind?

It’s a sponge cake Dan, thanks for asking.  I chopped up an apple and threw that in with a squirt of honey too fella.  Gonna have a blob of mascarpone with it if it’s warranted.

Other than the impending diabetes ? ;)

just had a family dance and scream around the kitchen to my sons favourite banger. He was at a party last summer that had a karaoke and suddenly he stood up and belted out (terribly) Mr Brightside. Not a song I’d ever paid attention to but watching my 13 year old belt it out and loving every second, it has a place in my heart.

so cranked up, screaming and dancing round the kitchen as a family made us all feel energised and having had a release. Wife is now back on a conf call for an hour or so

Edited by Tosh

4 hours ago, smithdown said:

I’m baking a cake.  They say it helps.

I'm perfecting my sourdough bread.  Done three loaves in the last week and they've been my best yet, bloody lovely.  I just need to get my slashing technique sorted as I'm all over the place with it.

4 hours ago, smithdown said:

Edited by Redwire

On 20/03/2020 at 18:47, cymrococh said:

Just got a case of 10 Irish beers from beer52.

Those c****?!

i tried so hard to like them but they all made me want to puke 

they’re ok for putting in a chili though or making battered cod 

3 hours ago, scoose said:

I was like that to the ojays last week. Can't even remember what tune

Love Train innit

if they’ve done any others then how come they never get played ? 

ever 

So far today I’ve managed 10 minutes on the rowing machine, a 45 minute weights session of bench press, overhead press and pull-ups, and 15 minutes punching lumps out of the heavy bag. I’ve got a run planned for later but, in the meantime, I think my shoulders are in danger of falling off.

I think I’ve definitely earned a smoke tonight.

Annoyed with myself I didn't get a puppy before lockdown. Dead jealous of peeps who did. 

11 hours ago, Gunga Din said:

i'd have had a bakeoff with you but ive no eggs

We're overrunning with eggs from new hens, but every cake I try to make is a biscuit. 

Yin / Yang

52 minutes ago, Bailo said:

Annoyed with myself I didn't get a puppy before lockdown. Dead jealous of peeps who did. 

I get this but I reckon there'll be a glut of them up for adoption when it's all over.

My wife reckons you can ring up these places and offer to look after a dog i.e. temporarily adopt one over this period. Might be worth looking into.

Edited by Dan

9 hours ago, Redwire said:

I'm perfecting my sourdough bread.  Done three loaves in the last week and they've been my best yet, bloody lovely.  I just need to get my slashing technique sorted as I'm all over the place with it.

This is what I’ve been doing as well. I still don’t even think I’ve got my starter care technique down, never mind baking the thing. Starter is definitely not as lively as it was when I got it.

1 hour ago, Jarg Armani said:

This is what I’ve been doing as well. I still don’t even think I’ve got my starter care technique down, never mind baking the thing. Starter is definitely not as lively as it was when I got it.

I do very little with mine.   It lives in the fridge and I pretty much ignore it, maybe one feed a fortnight if I'm not using it.  If I'm baking I'll get it out the day before and give it 50g flour / 50g water and then same again the morning of the bake (having removed 100g of starter).  It will be flying by the evening when I use it, well foamed up.  After I have used it I just bung what's left, about 50g usually, back in the fridge.

It did take a while to get this active though and needed daily feeds and keeping out of the fridge.  It was a bit sluggish for a bit but then must have picked up the right set of yeasts and bacteria to really get going and suddenly there was no stopping it.  Over months the flavour really develops too and the sourness comes in properly.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

I get this but I reckon there'll be a glut of them up for adoption when it's all over.

My wife reckons you can ring up these places and offer to look after a dog i.e. temporarily adopt one over this period. Might be worth looking into.

Yeah, my daughter is looking into this.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/fostering/

14 minutes ago, smithdown said:

Never did find any yeast.

Start a sourdough starter.  You can have a useable one in a week or two.

12 minutes ago, Redwire said:

Start a sourdough starter.  You can have a useable one in a week or two.

I have no idea what you are talking about