Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Looking after ourselves

Just went for a state-mandated walk to exercise and see if I could buy flour and yeast from the local Co-op. No yeast or flour in stock sadly. Walk took me past the local Bargain Booze however which is still open and selling, and bizarrely had bags of plain and self-raising flour in stock. So I bought one and celebrated the little victory by adding some salted caramel Matchmakers and a four-pack of Red Stripe. Stopped for a Red Stripe and a smoke in a bus shelter on the way back and got very odd looks from passing motorists. Like I know there's no fecking buses coming people, I'm just standing out of the wind. 

On 28/03/2020 at 12:44, Barnesy_10 said:

Cracked open a bottle of red way too early last night and then had a couple of night caps. Enjoyed a lie in and then dragged myself to the sofa to plan on watching some series but then for some reason ended up giving the kitchen a deep clean. 

Now back to sofa :)

I drank a bottle and a half of white wine last night and had to get up at 7am for delivery of a new desk and chair. My head was f***ing pounding

3 hours ago, Stevie H said:

Just went for a state-mandated walk to exercise and see if I could buy flour and yeast from the local Co-op. No yeast or flour in stock sadly. Walk took me past the local Bargain Booze however which is still open and selling, and bizarrely had bags of plain and self-raising flour in stock. So I bought one and celebrated the little victory by adding some salted caramel Matchmakers and a four-pack of Red Stripe. Stopped for a Red Stripe and a smoke in a bus shelter on the way back and got very odd looks from passing motorists. Like I know there's no fecking buses coming people, I'm just standing out of the wind. 

I’m getting tempted by the alfresco drinking

so far, drank in the lounge, my improvised study, the front drive, the beach and the garden

thinking of taking it on the road, involving my bike and a rucksack 

19 minutes ago, Molby said:

I’m getting tempted by the alfresco drinking

so far, drank in the lounge, my improvised study, the front drive, the beach and the garden

thinking of taking it on the road, involving my bike and a rucksack 

Paramedics have got enough on their plate Molby, stick to the beach dude

I bought an aluminium greenhouse 2nd hand for 50 quid.

Was a job dismantling and fitting it into a small van, but managed to get it home with a few panels of glass breaking.

Just got to rebuild it in my garden. 

Our two little ones (5 and 3) hadn't been out of the house all week. Yesterday I decided to take them round the block for a short walk. The impact on their mood was incredible. To be fair they're usually a pretty happy pair, but within minutes of being outside they were in the sweetest, happiest moods. It was a lovely little reminder of normal life.

At their age, they obviously don't realise how bizarre the situation is. But after a week inside, a short trip round the local streets turned into the most fun trip out in ages

9 minutes ago, Guatered said:

Our two little ones (5 and 3) hadn't been out of the house all week. Yesterday I decided to take them round the block for a short walk. The impact on their mood was incredible. To be fair they're usually a pretty happy pair, but within minutes of being outside they were in the sweetest, happiest moods. It was a lovely little reminder of normal life.

At their age, they obviously don't realise how bizarre the situation is. But after a week inside, a short trip round the local streets turned into the most fun trip out in ages

We went for a walk with the kids this evening and did a loop back through the golf course near us. The kids were legging it around all over the place. Was ace.

5 minutes ago, Guatered said:

I’ve been going to the local park everyday with my son at school lunch time.
Made sandwiches for lunch everyday and head off for an hour. 
People have done the whole 2 meters things and it’s been mostly great. The weather was lovely and we just sat out in the grass enjoying the clear plane free skies and chatted. 

Wrote up a school schedule with him that we’ve tried to follow, somewhat loosely it has to be said but he likes the structure.
I’ve struggled with working from home last week so the schedule has helped both of us. 

Also set up google hangouts with both his grannies as they are on their own right now. So each day for an hour he chats to each of them and he reads a book that they can correct him on. They spend half the time arsing about but it’s fine. It gives me and my missus and clear hour to try and work.
last week felt like a month long as work is on the ropes too for both of us but let’s see what next week brings.

Been getting my two to do a diary for each day about what they have been doing and also their thoughts on the situation and how they feel. 

Told them their kids will likely study this current time when they are at school so will be good for them to read about what it was like day to day. Trying not to expose them to too much though, just the isolation aspect and the impact its having on them 

Edited by Barnesy_10

18 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

Been getting my two to do a diary for each day about what they have been doing and also their thoughts on the situation and how they feel. 

Told them their kids will likely study this current time when they are at school so will be good for them to read about what it was like day to day. Trying not to expose them to too much though, just the isolation aspect and the impact its having on them 

My Mum came out to visit us when we were in Australia, she was 70. The other day I found a diary she'd kept of that trip, it was incredible.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Falconhoof said:

I bought an aluminium greenhouse 2nd hand for 50 quid.

Was a job dismantling and fitting it into a small van, but managed to get it home with a few panels of glass breaking.

Just got to rebuild it in my garden. 

Bit late now  .....  but did you photograph it in situ before dismantling and numbering the struts? Got this advice when I did something very similar years back and was a god send

17 minutes ago, Senrab_nhoj said:

Bit late now  .....  but did you photograph it in situ before dismantling and numbering the struts? Got this advice when I did something very similar years back and was a god send

It was already part dismantled, so no. I will just have to be very clever, like Joseph Paxton.

Had a 3 and a half hour online piss up with some mates on Saturday night and then a pub quiz with a load of others last night. 

Highly recommended

Yeah I did a pub quiz thing on Saturday. Was with a lot of other couples and I was a bit wary tbh but it was good craic.

My eldest as part of her Guides badges chose meditation which I'd like to do with her as I think we both could benefit and it will be nice to learn it together. Any tips or suggestions for mindfulness type stuff?

Edited by D.Boon

I didn't have a drink yesterday and I now feel like I should be hailed as a national hero for showing such strength of character.

1 hour ago, D.Boon said:

Had a 3 and a half hour online piss up with some mates on Saturday night and then a pub quiz with a load of others last night. 

Highly recommended

Do you use a particular app or site for that?

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

Do you use a particular app or site for that?

We used Zoom as it was a business account so no time limit. The free version gives you a 40 minute limit.

4 days ago I decided to remove an old patch of concrete in the back lawn that holds an old washing line post.

Used an SDS drill with a fairly hefty chisel attachment. Turns out the sodding concrete goes down about a metre and the battery on the drill only lasts 5 mins or so. Taken me until today to chip off enough concrete to be able to lift the remaining chunk out of the hole

I need beer.

Get some amazing cheese and support an independent business, or just get some free cheese (disclaimer: I was in school with this bloke, but the cheese is truly great)

16 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

Just found a local wine shop doing trade price and next day delivery. Now to find food.

I spent £137 on wine and beer yesterday, delivered two hours after the call. Meanwhile, shelves in Sainsburys devoid of alcohol  on Saturday. A bit odd..