Dan

Looking after ourselves

14 hours ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

hahaha - it was in jest like.

but then again....

Anyone using Zoom? My LA office is arranging happy hours over Zoom - basically multi-person video conferencing. It'd be a way for anyone going stir crazy, or alone, or anyone who just fancied it to get to see the faces of other forumites & have a drink, talk nonsense etc.

Yeh we use it in worrk. Me mates are doing a friday one and having a bevvy on it

15 hours ago, Murphman said:

Is that your solicitor daughter? If so she's the one I met briefly in Hus who it turned out lives in my cousins road who is actually the subject of my little tale the other day about him and his missus dolling up for 'Lockdown Dinner'.

Anyway, that is all.

Yes, that's her mate.  Self isolating on her own and going stir crazy.

Is there something playdough-adjacent that's good for kids and maybe vaguely educational? My daughter has been able to distract herself for a good while with playdough, but she's just messing about really.

I've actually found working at home to be quite productive, mostly because I'm actively trying to be busy, unlike when I'm in the office. I also have a responsibility to keep my team occupied. My series got pulled, which was expected - we'll start again, sometime in late summer, but I've been pitching loads of new stuff, both to be shot in isolation now, or for when the TV industry gets going again, whenever that is.

Quite a few people at work have had it and I'm convinced my girlfriend did a few weeks back, but I feel ok.

I'm running once a day, which has been massively helpful - doing the same route each day this week. Will do the same thing for a different, longer route next week, just so I've got a little project going in my head. Also knocking off the booze until we're out of this. Already planning the post-lockdown party.

Overall, my mental health is ok. My brain can be quite unhelpful at times of stress, but hopefully I can keep things structured and stave off the madness.

Hope everyone here's ok - if there's anything I can do to help anyone, shout.

I'm doing Yoga every morning now which is great way to start the day mentally. Also I had a grade one medial ligament injury pre Christmas but was doing a downhill ski race in January so did not look after it properly or do the correct rehab just put on a neoprene support. So now using this time to do the rehab exercises as instructed.

I've always wondered if my daughter was able to amuse herself properly, be bored and make stuff up. She just ran in to me with some sand in her hand and said "Daddy! This sand said he wants to be my best friend!" she then ran off asking the sand if it wanted to play hide and seek.

I've done a HIIT workout twice now, it's only 12 mins long but FFS.

Still haven't progressed much beyond crackers with my sourdough starter, it just doesn't look lively enough. The crackers are lovely mind you.

My working from home has been OK as well. Lots of video calls, and trying to stop my team from flapping. Seems like they take it in turns to have a wobble. We've kept the places staffed, single cover, 24/7, so the people doing the work need to feel safe. Hardest thing is getting hold of any PPE.

2 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

Still haven't progressed much beyond crackers with my sourdough starter, it just doesn't look lively enough. The crackers are lovely mind you.

My working from home has been OK as well. Lots of video calls, and trying to stop my team from flapping. Seems like they take it in turns to have a wobble. We've kept the places staffed, single cover, 24/7, so the people doing the work need to feel safe. Hardest thing is getting hold of any PPE.

Apparently a few pieces of rhubarb or a few grapes can help get a starter going properly.  The skins are covered in wild yeasts.

17 hours ago, cymrococh said:

I've always wondered if my daughter was able to amuse herself properly, be bored and make stuff up. She just ran in to me with some sand in her hand and said "Daddy! This sand said he wants to be my best friend!" she then ran off asking the sand if it wanted to play hide and seek.

😁

kids are great

23 hours ago, cymrococh said:

Is there something playdough-adjacent that's good for kids and maybe vaguely educational? My daughter has been able to distract herself for a good while with playdough, but she's just messing about really.

What sort of thing have you got in mind? There used to be  stuff you could by called mod-roc - no idea if it's still available(*  see edit below) - which was a playdough-like clay (without the colour or smell) that came in blocks. You modelled it into shapes but then it set solidly so you had made a permanent model of something.

Alternatively papier-mâché is entirely home-grown: a balloon, a bit of string, a newspaper, some flour and water is all you need to make a mask or whatever else.

* Edit: you can still get it and there are youtube vids on stuff to make with it. 

Edited by charlie clown

Working from home is brilliant,  we've had delicious lunches and dinners together,  I haven't had to listen to my peers in work yapping and i have my tunes on. 

I even get to sleep on my sofa  for a while after lunch

• Haha 1

im loving this working from home malarky. getting more done in less time with less distractions, taking numerous little breaks for having a 10-15 spell on the dartboard. Ive got some planters for the back garden and planted some vegetables, and put up a bird feeder so I can sit by the window where i work watching all manner of wild birds come and go, which ive found oddly relaxing

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

What sort of thing have you got in mind? There used to be  stuff you could by called mod-roc - no idea if it's still available(*  see edit below) - which was a playdough-like clay (without the colour or smell) that came in blocks. You modelled it into shapes but then it set solidly so you had made a permanent model of something.

Alternatively papier-mâché is entirely home-grown: a balloon, a bit of string, a newspaper, some flour and water is all you need to make a mask or whatever else.

* Edit: you can still get it and there are youtube vids on stuff to make with it. 

That sounds good, both of those things.

On 25/03/2020 at 11:21, cymrococh said:

Fimo Clay is great mate..... Its more clay like than Play Dough and you can bake it when done to make it permanent and then paint it. But it comes in a variety of colours anyway. I use it a lot as I do sculpting at home and its come in handy for kids homework at times too. My eldest sculpted King Harold for a project once, complete with removable arrow. 

https://www.staedtler.com/intl/en/products/fimo-modelling-clay-accessories/

On 25/03/2020 at 16:30, Jarg Armani said: