By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Looking after ourselves

Dan

I thought this should be split from the coronavirus thread as people may be wanting to avoid that if they are concerned about their mental health or anxiety levels at the moment.

I'm very up and down. Was very low at the beginning of the week, got gradually better, now getting a bit more anxious as school closures are about to hit. This is a first for me.

I've been using an app called Insight Timer (meditation app) which has been useful sometimes.

There's a good article here from the BBC on how to try and cope better: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51873799

If anyone has anything else to offer then let's hear it and support each other.

Edit: apologies to mods if this is viewed as unnecessary thread duplication.

Edited by Dan

Good idea 

it’s like watching a train wreck with the added bonus of not knowing if you’re standing directly in front of it. Not sleeping well at all. While all the numbers are in my favour (rationally), worst case scenarios are constantly whizzing round my head for my immediate and direct family. 

So I am trying to keep occupied and active. We have a little garden (London) and stretching, burpees and tha sort of thing are helping, even if just forcing me outside. I walked round my local park this morning and was amazed how “normal” it looked. Felt better for being outside but grateful I don’t have a dog.

I am always better with something to do and there’s a pile of ironing staring at me that might help short term.

This is a brilliant idea. I keep dipping into that thread with absolute dread but just feel like I have too. It's not serving me well I must admit. I also go up and down quite a lot. Worry about my elderly mother stuck abroad, my eldest in isolation and my youngest in London who seems to be having some sort of a meltdown at the moment. Does feel like I am losing my mind a bit.

I work from home and we have basically restricted any clients coming into the office at the side of the house and everything is done remotely. The weather doesn't look too bad this weekend so I'm going to get out in the garden cut the grass and and sort the shed out so that my son, who was has also been sent to work  from home, can get out there with the dog as he is also a bit frustrated as he has been banned from going to the gym. That BBC article is great. You need to keep informed but if you keep going back all the time it becomes compulsive and you're just going to depress yourself even more. Take care everyone

At a time when we're supposed to be working from home as much as possible I'm on a 7 day week......

I've got next Monday and Tuesday off and I'll start taking more days working at home from next next week. Plan on getting out on my bike whenever possible and if they stop that I've got my turbo trainer in the garage to keep fit. The garden and house have plenty of jobs that need doing.

Keeping the kids entertained will be the hard part. I've just had to buy another laptop to allow them both to do their school work and stuff. There's not many left. 

I am having a good few drinks tonight to forget about it for a bit 

As ever, reading is good. Spent a pleasant evening last night going through my records deciding which to try and sell at a record fair this weekend (if it goes ahead).

Having not played a computer game for years I've started messing about with some of the ones on the Apple TV. 

Going to do some lay-go tonight.

Edited by cymrococh

The weather getting better will hopefully be a great tonic. Our garden is only quite small but there's green space and things to tidy up and get into.

My situation is compounded by the fact that I've been having headaches for about 5 weeks now. Generally same place every day. I've got low Vitamin D but the injection I had two weeks ago doesn't seem to be shifting them. However, it could well be the stress of everything that's keeping them going now. I've got to contact the doctors again in two weeks if they've not gone. Don't want to over burden them at the moment but I could really do without something serious growing inside my f***ing head right now.

Eldest left primary school today for what is probably the last time. She was really upset. I've had to say goodbye to my Y11 and Y13 students. f***ing rubbish.

Other people have got it much worse than me though, I know that, and need to stay as rational as possible.

I'm going to try and limit my exposure to potentially scary news in the evenings and try techniques that people are suggesting in here. We'll get through this.

Edited by Dan

Good idea this. That main thread is a horror show.

Feel like I’m slipping into depression tbh. I’ve been quietly quite low since my dad had a stroke in January, and just generally feeling a bad sad. Can’t quite pin it down but I know I’ve been feeling it. 

I still can’t believe this is real. I’ve a tiny non-continuous cough so I’ve been keeping a distance from my wife and daughter. I haven’t hugged or kissed my little one in a week, and it was her first birthday on Monday. Will keep it up for another week I think. Hopefully I cheer up when I can play with her again. It’s horrible.

I really miss football! Gonna try reading more.

We've bought a house and while this has delayed it I’d like to get in soon. It has a garden and with the weather looking like it’s turning I think that would be really good at this time.  

Goes without saying others have it much worse/harder than me. My immediate concern is my parents and making sure they take it seriously. And my dad not falling behind with his rehab.

Edited by Swipe

8 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

Ok - important thing this;

But anxiety is a perfectly normal response to something like this

Yeah you're dead right but I'm swerving a lot of the coverage because I don't really want to deal

a lot of us in work have been sent out to work from home. a concern a few of us had, who live alone was the lack of proper human interaction, so we've set up a WhatsApp group and we will all try and have conference call type thing through it once a day for 30 minutes or so just to stop us all going a bit cuckoo. 

i dunno if something that could work for people on YNWA who for whatever reason are worried, isolated, lonely, or whatever. just chat about something else other than the s***storm thats going on around us

13 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Yeah you're dead right but I'm swerving a lot of the coverage because I don't really want to deal

Same here because the news makes me want to deal with it all at the same time and that is simply not possible

2 minutes ago, Gunga Din said:

a lot of us in work have been sent out to work from home. a concern a few of us had, who live alone was the lack of proper human interaction, so we've set up a WhatsApp group and we will all try and have conference call type thing through it once a day for 30 minutes or so just to stop us all going a bit cuckoo. 

i dunno if something that could work for people on YNWA who for whatever reason are worried, isolated, lonely, or whatever. just chat about something else other than the s***storm thats going on around us

Zoom is also good for this too

Edited by pipnasty

This is a really stupid question and wouldn’t dare ask it in the other thread but are people still ordering takeaway food? 

I mean, you have to assume that any decent place will take the necessary measures but still feels risky. 

3 minutes ago, Swipe said:

This is a really stupid question and wouldn’t dare ask it in the other thread but are people still ordering takeaway food? 

I mean, you have to assume that any decent place will take the necessary measures but still feels risky. 

my grocery shop on sunday got cancelled last minute leaving me stuck (not that a missed meal here or there would do me any f***ing harm like) and i ordered in a chinese from Just eat and it was grand. i dont think its any more risky than buying something from a supermarket which has potentially been handled by a dozen people 

Just now, Gunga Din said:

my grocery shop on sunday got cancelled last minute leaving me stuck (not that a missed meal here or there would do me any f***ing harm like) and i ordered in a chinese from Just eat and it was grand. i dont think its any more risky than buying something from a supermarket which has potentially been handled by a dozen people 

Yeah I was thinking that. My wife is a bit more anxious. 

Would kill for a proper fancy burger. 

54 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Oh yeah if I at you like @cymrocochYou're going to know about it eh. Cool this

Mostly soundtracks, but one hip hop album is the re-release of Prince Paul's Itstrumental, the version I've got comes with a poster signed by Prince Paul. Still mint, sealed.

I was going to see how much I could get for a Hendrix picture disc bootleg that I've got, no idea of the value off discogs as they don't let you sell bootlegs.

Edited by cymrococh

I think I'm doing my own head in. Cant stop reading increasingly worse news. Getting more and more concerned about Italy and here. Like Swipe, not touching my daughter or my wife as she is pregnant and dont know what I may be carrying.

Really need to put my phone down and focus on something else but not good at doing that. Would really help if there was some f***ing football on.

Edited by psl