Sign in to follow this  
Swan Red

I'm unemployed

Weird this it's been a while but am going to take some time to chill reflect do some studying and travelling and decide whatever the f*** next.

Enjoy it while you can Vic. You'll look back at it fondly soon enough. Watch every Humphrey Bogart movie in order then re-watch The Wire from the start. Not a wasted minute there.

Nope this is why Belfast is very much on

and thanks Steve I've put it up on linkedin because I'm thirsty but I'm determined to stay out of work for at least 2 months

I havent seen a Humphrey Bogart film in so long, must remedy that. 

I miss the sheer volume of B&W films that used to be on telly when I was younger.

oh and SR...enjoy it while you can.

I miss the sheer volume of B&W films that used to be on telly when I was younger.

Found one recently I'd never seen, Beat the Devil, 1953 John Huston film. Bogart and Peter Lorre with Gina Lollobrigida. Lovely stuff.

There's definitely a sort of relaxing joy to being unemployed, at least to begin with. It wears off after a while and gets replaced by escalating anxiety. But you'll be getting that from the PhD as well, SR, so a good opportunity to double up on it.

TCM has loads on

There's definitely a sort of relaxing joy to being unemployed, at least to begin with. It wears off after a while and gets replaced by escalating anxiety. But you'll be getting that from the PhD as well, SR, so a good opportunity to double up on it.

The ideal situation is a redundancy with a decent pay off and confidence that work will come.

I had a glorious 6 or 7 weeks in such a situation in London in summer time. It helped that I got a mad 1 week contract with some banking c*nts that paid stupid money.

TCM has loads on

Some synchronicity here. Just spent a week on a cruise where TCM was the only viable channel, but saw some belters and some real cringers.No Bogart though; BUT did watch the excellent Booksmart on the plane...directed by the brilliant Olivia Wilde....granddaughter of the (probable) Communist agent and radical journalist Claude Cockburn....who wrote the novel Beat The Devil. Only first heard of that last week, today it's on the forum. Theres a name for that kind of thing.

I'll be doing that alright and the B&W movie thing, I used to be almost word perfect on Casablanca, seen it more than any other movie

It's wild I manage to get a break from one anxiety inducing environment and place myself in others to maintain balance it seems

The ideal situation is a redundancy with a decent pay off and confidence that work will come.

This is exactly where I am, like I need to be back in work in a few months but enough to have a decent break and the job market here looks pretty decent 

Can I interest you in a skills wallet Swan Red?

If you're selling I'm buying, unless of course we're talking about housing then I'm way too poor.

Make the most of it Vic. It will change your life. Not being flippant. I was out of it for two years when I was 37 and took care of bringing up my boy. It was a great time in my life. You’ll get your head totally sorted out and chart your life.