Tosh

Coronavirus

Conrad

that’s no surprise - think they’ve been trying to get as close to the Easter hols as possible. 

If it is true, they’ll need to make an announcement by when? Midweek?

school year over though?

Edited by Tosh

3 hours ago, Molby said:

Meantime I’ve just watched the scenes in Spain

theyre actually telling people to get off the streets even if they’re walking along in an open space 

that means our CAPs will be broken up, with batons probably 

and as someone said, how do we walk our dogs?

Poor Olly and Lilo

Yes. I’m in Tenerife. All shops, bars, restaurants closed under the State of Emergency. Only supermarkets and pharmacies. You may only leave your “home” to buy food, medicine or visit a cash point. Dog walking seems to be given a pass though. 

The Guardia Civil are on the street on foot and in cars with loudspeakers and imposing spot fines for breaches of SoE regs. Don’t know if they are inviting the locals to meet Mr Baton

I booked an early return on Friday for Tuesday into Manchester. Got it for €49. Cheapest on Skyscanner this morning for Tuesday was €631 for a 9 hour+ 2 stop journey. 

News from UK seems to be, “Thank you all you old people for voting Brexit. Our Ministry of Eugenics has now deemed you expendable so please f*** off and die.”

30 minutes ago, chiefy said:

Is the high mortality rate down to the ageing population in Lombardy? I would find it interesting (maybe reassuring) if we had daily death rates from the flu, alongside this one. Would that contextualise this? Or create misinformed complacency (based on experts saying this is not like the flu). 

Honestly don't know mate. That's what some are speculating. Also not sure what the testing levels are like there either. You've got to think that there are many more people with the virus who have not been tested which would bring the mortality rate down. That said, deaths are a lagging indicator so the nuanced picture is never really clear. 

11 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I've heard that schools are going to shut down from Friday

where is that? UK or Ireland?

13 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I've heard that schools are going to shut down from Friday

That's always been my suspicion - roll it in to two weeks at Easter BUT contradicts the herd immunity plan of infecting loads.

1 minute ago, Bailo said:

That's always been my suspicion - roll it in to two weeks at Easter BUT contradicts the herd immunity plan of infecting loads.

As others have mentioned, we need daily updates from the government. It's moving too fast to leave huge information vacuums.

8 minutes ago, Bailo said:

And as others have said means grandparents who should be on self isolation having to look after grandkids.

I was pretty certain at end of last week we'd all be closing end of this week. I'm now pretty certain they'll try to get through until Easter and look at it again. It will probably all look different again in a couple of days.

32 minutes ago, Case said:

Stupid question alert - How does, or can, one get tested in Ireland? Is HSE free?

My concern now is my Da who is 80 and has developed a cold. He's been in daily contact with my brother (who lives at home in Carlow, but works in Dublin) over the past week. My bro is self isolating in Dublin, not Carlow.

Appreciate any input on how HSE deal with people who have been told to self isolate by them, contact tracing etc..

Also - my brothers pal had a positive test, but how might he have had the test given in the first place?

Can't contact my bro atm - he's just been ripped to shreds by his boss, so he's probably back on the phone to him.

The HSE tweeted this earlier today:

I work in TV and producers are having to shut down filming and give people notice and there is constant dialogue with the main broadcasters about where to draw the line and shutdown. Senior people at the broadcasters are being told this by government apparently 

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I work in TV and producers are having to shut down filming and give people notice and there is constant dialogue with the main broadcasters about where to draw the line and shutdown. Senior people at the broadcasters are being told this by government apparently 

Sorry, where's the link with schools? Govt are telling broadcasters that schools are shutting down?

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Sorry, where's the link with schools? Govt are telling broadcasters that schools are shutting down?

Yes

I have a friend who is a primary school head mistress.

they have been told, Government meeting tomorrow and announcement on Tuesday. Expecting some period of closure.

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

US press conf at 5pm eastern

Locking down the US?

Trump crowing that he's tested negative and is, in all likelihood immortal? 

14 minutes ago, Conrad said:

What's the latest on this as missus is a freelance camera operator in MCR? She's booked in for work for the next month or so but knows it will all be cancelled at some point but not sure when.

Things they should do if we're needed to go into lockdown. Suspend all mortgage, rent payments,  we bailed the banks out, it's their time to do the same.  No one should be laid off from work,  any employers found doing so should be fined. This should not go against anyone's existing sick record,  it's a different thing altogether. Any f***er found hoarding stuff to sell at a profit gets one in the head.

Hopefully we can all laugh at this in a few months,  but it really does put the spotlight onto existing set ups

44 minutes ago, kop205 said:

And as others have said means grandparents who should be on self isolation having to look after grandkids.

I was pretty certain at end of last week we'd all be closing end of this week. I'm now pretty certain they'll try to get through until Easter and look at it again. It will probably all look different again in a couple of days.

Yes, I really don't want school to close - it doesn't seem the right way to do to dovetail in with the overall "plan" and it creates a whole host of issues for the Y11/13 kids.

4 minutes ago, jimbolala said:

Any f***er found hoarding stuff to sell at a profit gets one in the head.

The shareholders of all large retailers, agribusinesses, distributors, catering chains.

Y11 and Y13 seem like they will be kept in school if at all possible from the email we got on Friday. Y7 too with the rest sent home.