By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coronavirus

Tosh

38 minutes ago, Mickle said:

Here's what my friend in Italy just replied to me with.

I honestly think your government is insane, this virus is killing plenty of people in Italy, we're now living locked at home, only moving for emergencies. It's a nightmare, but it's necessary!

I just think we are underestimating how this virus is being spread and could be hit hard by the consequences of not locking everything down sooner, we are assuming we can keep the most vulnerable people isolated but people who are infected and not yet showing symptoms are spreading this virus freely right now, probably to those most vulnerable people. 

Anyway i'm putting the kettle on now and having a lemsip.

And this what I got from a Spanish colleague of mine 

All, just to warn. Information and news from family and friends in Spain aren't great. The situation is worse than what they say in the media. There are more infected people than the official numbers. I think Tideway/Jacobs should take more drastic measures even though the Government is reluctant to do so. The majority of infections are coming from being with kids, the exchange of cash and use of public transport. Try to stay at home as much as you can and avoid gathering with anyone is the main advice

Called 111 again they are now saying they are not testing anyone with symptoms and to self isolate as per Government advice.

Told them my employer is waiting to hear my results after being told yesterday i needed testing as i have been in meetings up and down the country all week and they need to let the people i have been in contact with know and also the offices/sites.....all feels a bit of a mess and irresponsible they are not testing people anymore.  

1 minute ago, Mickle said:

Called 111 again they are now saying they are not testing anyone with symptoms and to self isolate as per Government advice.

Told them my employer is waiting to hear my results after being told yesterday i needed testing as i have been in meetings up and down the country all week and they need to let the people i have been in contact with know and also the offices/sites.....all feels a bit of a mess and irresponsible they are not testing people anymore.  

Because the strategy doesn't care if you're infected unless you're in a high risk group

20 minutes ago, LicK said:

Old people being more susceptible to it is not the same as younger people not getting it and dying from it. So even if you try to isolate those who are more at risk, you're still going to kill less 'at risk' people by infecting them. And enough of them will get seriously ill that it's likely to overwhelm the health services.

It'll take far more than two weeks to spread the thing through 60% of the population. And as someone else said, herd immunity only works, historically, when you've got a vaccine. At this point we don't even know whether or not, once you've had it, you catch it again.

Meanwhile, I don't think many people understand what a couple of months of banning mass gatherings and travel will do to loads of businesses and individuals. You likely won't be able to carry on as normal afterwards, even if we avoid the worst (i.e. mass deaths).

I meant each person is isolated for two weeks, if that’s how long it takes

not that the process itself takes two weeks

2 hours ago, Mickle said:

Haha, think 50 odd thousand of us did that on Wednesday at Anfield! 

Am paranoid the government have purposely stopped testing people so the can keep the reported figures low, wouldn't surprise me at all. 

a lot of chatter of people making the call to 111 and not getting a call back as agreed. 

Just now, Jonesy said:

a lot of chatter of people making the call to 111 and not getting a call back as agreed. 

Yeah looks like they were not going to call me back at all .

Issue for me is that if you get tested for it it even with mild symptoms and it's positive then it's black and white - you know you should isolate and act accordingly.

Telling anyone with a cough or sniffle to self isolate without being tested won't work because most people will think 'ah i'm fine it's nothing' and carry on as normal. 

They are setting drive throughs up at Wallmarts in the US for people to get tested while we have a call tree answering service aimed at trying to deflect you speaking to anyone. 

Just now, Jarg Armani said:

Do you become immune once you’ve had it though? That seems like a red herring, and quite an important one.

Well that’s one of the questions I’m asking

its one of the biggies obv

is this the same as asking if you can catch it twice?

or whether you can catch it and then after you’ve recovered, still be able to become contagious a second time and pass it on to others without becoming ill again 

3 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

Do you become immune once you’ve had it though? That seems like a red herring, and quite an important one.

Big big question. You're never immune to the flu because it's actually loads of slightly different viruses. What if this is the same? We just don't know.

2 minutes ago, Molby said:

Well that’s one of the questions I’m asking

its one of the biggies obv

is this the same as asking if you can catch it twice?

or whether you can catch it and then after you’ve recovered, still be able to become contagious a second time and pass it on to others without becoming ill again 

there's already reported cases in China of people who had it and have caught it again. I don't know how confirmed these reports are, but they are out there.

The herd immunity idea is at odds with banning mass gatherings and telling people to self isolate isn't it? Did they think enough of the population would have caught it and become immune within a few weeks?

They aren't bothered with testing anymore are they. Containment has gone. We're.down the road of everyone might get it but try not to all get it at once, please.

If that's the policy what's the point.of testing?

Edit.....As.Bailo already points out.

Edited by D.Boon

1 hour ago, Bailo said:

The alternative to your friends opinion is lockdown eventually ends and then they get another spike in infections as people haven't caught it at all.

Think the science is utterly divided on this, which is a bit mad as you'd think plans could be developed in advance. 

The irony is that people in the UK are aware of steps taken elsewhere and can adapt to those instead.  

The government and its behavioural scientists are playing catch up to what we are seeing elsewhere wondering why things are slowly closing down around them.

There is a news conference right now with the North of Ireland looking South for guidance.

The Northwest primary care doctor just called me. Testing for people with suspected Coronavirus terminated yesterday as advised by Government officials.

Anyone with symptoms should assume they have it and self isolate for 7 days, even if it is just a mild persistent cough as the likelihood is you do have it. 

If your symptoms or breathing difficulties worsen to the point you feel you need urgent hospital care then you should phone 111 or 999 for an ambulance, tests will only be carried out on people who have symptoms consistent with coronavirus and are that severe they have been hospitalised with it.

She did say she didn't necessarily agree with the strategy but this is what they are being asked to implement moving forward and she isn't allowed to debate or give her personal opinion on it.  

Was chatting to an academic scientist this morning. She reckons there's loads of kits in every uni in the land that could be used. Nobody has asked for them.

We were with a GP as well and they broadly agreed with the herd immunity idea. If done properly it's the best way out of it but the message is inconsistent on it this far.

41 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

there's already reported cases in China of people who had it and have caught it again. I don't know how confirmed these reports are, but they are out there.

Yeah there's been some cases like that in a few countries, this is why this herd immunity thing seems illogical/risky

16 minutes ago, Mickle said:

The Northwest primary care doctor just called me. Testing for people with suspected Coronavirus terminated yesterday as advised by Government officials.

Anyone with symptoms should assume they have it and self isolate for 7 days, even if it is just a mild persistent cough as the likelihood is you do have it. 

If your symptoms or breathing difficulties worsen to the point you feel you need urgent hospital care then you should phone 111 or 999 for an ambulance, tests will only be carried out on people who have symptoms consistent with coronavirus and are that severe they have been hospitalised with it.

She did say she didn't necessarily agree with the strategy but this is what they are being asked to implement moving forward and she isn't allowed to debate or give her personal opinion on it.  

Blimey this must be so frustrating for you mate, hope you get things sorted soon.

10 minutes ago, Tommok said:

Yeah there's been some cases like that in a few countries, this is why this herd immunity thing seems illogical/risky

Blimey this must be so frustrating for you mate, hope you get things sorted soon.

Yeah it is a bit, people with symptoms however mild should be allowed to take a test if they so wish in my view. 

2 minutes ago, Mickle said:

Yeah it is a bit, people with symptoms however mild should be allowed to take a test if they so wish in my view. 

Yeah that due to a lack of testing kits, did they say?

Edited by Tommok

That's exams cancelled then I expect.

Edit...heard that number when they did their "delay" press conference the other day. Said if schools were to shut down it would have to be for four months. Don't know why. Maybe cos all the staff will be dead.

Edited by Dan