By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coronavirus

Tosh

I can't see how Britain copes with a second lockdown during winter unless the government gives a week to ten days prior notice and people just go shopping mad.

And if we get to next March without some form of vaccine widely available, then I think many will just give up on the masks and restrictions 

Too many disposable masks being used

Edited by Earl Hafler

Just now, Begbie said:

Are you asking as part of a theoretical discussion or specifically re the students that have been affected this year?

It could be either depending on your answer but there are theoretical implications as noted above by kop205

3 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Under the current system, grades are literally just a proxy for your percentile ranking. So not everyone can get an A* because not everyone can be in the top x%.

Which is all just more reason to look at changing the current system (though I suppose all assesment will involve some element of ranking).

Not in my world apart unless we consider pass fail rankings

2 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

It could be either depending on your answer but there are theoretical implications as noted above by kop205

I think Kop205 has basically given the answer

In this case if everyone has good grades how do you differentiate for limited University places?

Just now, Begbie said:

I think Kop205 has basically given the answer

In this case if everyone has good grades how do you differentiate for limited University places?

You consider alternatives like face to face interviews or you reduce/remove the restrictions on university places. The alternative is to defend discrimination against children from poorer backgrounds and I am not sure why anyone wants to defend this.

24 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

You consider alternatives like face to face interviews or you reduce/remove the restrictions on university places. The alternative is to defend discrimination against children from poorer backgrounds and I am not sure why anyone wants to defend this.

Agreed, it feels like the latter is the outcome of an attempt to moderate the grades and has (hopefully) had unintended consequences, needs to be a pragmatic solution.

It sounds as if some of the universities are standing by offers made regardless of results, not sure how far reaching this is in solving the problem, guess it depends on capacity

On 07/08/2020 at 16:27, Tosh said:

I'm on the Zoe/KingsCollege app so will tell them tomorrow and see if they send me a test/send me to get tested

Got a test, did it and sent it back last Tuesday

Still waiting for a result. But I'm guessing I've not died from it

Edited by Tosh

Just now, Begbie said:

Agreed, it feels like the latter is the outcome of an attempt to moderate the grades and has (hopefully) had unintended consequences, needs to be a pragmatic solution.

It sounds as if some of the universities are standing by offers made regardless of results, not sure how far reaching this is in solving the problem, guess it depends on capacity

I have no idea and so hopefully someone who knows can clarify but do universities give firm offers to students on the basis that some will fail to get their required grades? Like is there a place for every offer?

5 minutes ago, kop205 said:

There also needs to be much wider and better use of apprenticeships that people choose because they are high quality as opposed to because they can't afford to go to Uni.

There are already some really good ones out there to be fair.

Education should be free for all with the grant system put back in place so that education is open to all. The idea that 'the f***ing market' be applied to education is hideous. 

1 minute ago, pipnasty said:

Education should be free for all with the grant system put back in place so that education is open to all. The idea that 'the f***ing market' be applied to education is hideous. 

Of course it should.

There is still a place within that for apprenticeships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swan Red said:

I have no idea and so hopefully someone who knows can clarify but do universities give firm offers to students on the basis that some will fail to get their required grades? Like is there a place for every offer?

Apparently universities over offer in order to not under recruit so the system relies on distinguishing between candidates and so grades are going to be required for this. This in my view is not a point in favour of grades but a point in completely revising how education is accessed.

some interesting thoughts in this thread

This thread also