• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

News of our kitchen has spread around Bham - we've been doing deliveries over but now there's a Q at the door each night. Planning meeting tonight to decide how to cater/cope. Heartbreaking stuff. And

If he sees Paul Weller or Johnny Marr wear one he'll soon change his mind.

My condolences man. Ouch

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

I think we're in violent agreement with each other, Vic. I don't like it any more than you do but this is where we are. I just don't see the police enforcing it by and large, but, as you suggest, given that they use any/every opportunity to target minorities, some people - and most likely black, urban communities - will come off a lot worse than others. 

It's another corollary of an incompetent, racist, flip-flopping government. 

Initial enforcement will come down to shops, but shops aren't being compelled to enforce, so for shops it's essentially optional which is the current state of affairs. What mandating this does is give shops recourse to police resources if they refuse, but shops already have the right to refuse customers and can request police assistance in the event a shopper is refusing to leave the premises. So mandating shoppers and not shops seems to mean there is no real difference between mandating and not mandating mask wearing.

4 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

It's interesting how these measures aren't called for in Wales as the assembly's stricter approach has led to practically no new cases.

F*ck Westminster.

Has the call for independence increased during this time? The benefits of the union still exist I'm sure but if the Tories keep winning it just keeps underlining how much of a millstone Westminster is.

9 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

Has the call for independence increased during this time? The benefits of the union still exist I'm sure but if the Tories keep winning it just keeps underlining how much of a millstone Westminster is.

I'm in a bit of a pro-independence echo chamber online, and a pro-union tory region IRL, so I haven't noticed a particular change.

I like how all reporting is now focussed on England as a separate entity, that can only help. I'm beyond sick of hearing about EnglandandWales.

39 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

It's interesting how these measures aren't called for in Wales as the assembly's stricter approach has led to practically no new cases.

F*ck Westminster.

Presumably this still took some policing, even more so than has been needed in England up to now given the lax approach from Westminster.

How did that work? Are there the same issues with policing in Wales and there are in England?

If so then them going in hard, whilst having public health benefits, will have presumably also led to some of the profiling issues that SR is referencing in his concerns about mandatory masks?

2 hours ago, Swan Red said:

What's the point of making it compulsory if theres not going to be any enforcement?

I think just saying it is compulsory means most will probably do it, for whatever reason, so there is still a point (to an extent, and probably time limited...note the slippage in adherence to lockdown once the government themselves demonstrated that you can do whatever you want)

2 hours ago, cymrococh said:

If masks are compulsory, are they going to provide them?

They'll pay their mates hundreds if millions of pounds for shipments that will never arrive.

Edited by kop205
31 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

I'm in a bit of a pro-independence echo chamber online, and a pro-union tory region IRL, so I haven't noticed a particular change.

I like how all reporting is now focussed on England as a separate entity, that can only help. I'm beyond sick of hearing about EnglandandWales.

There's been a big upsurge (admittedly from a low base) in "Yes Cymru" membership over the last few months and "Yes" is polling at around 25% (up from single digits a couple of years ago).

As for the stance on masks, it's one of the first things I've been disappointed in the WG with. Now the travel restrictions have been lifted, we'll have people in from areas with much higher infection rates - so I'd like to see it become mandatory in all public settings myself.

22 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Presumably this still took some policing, even more so than has been needed in England up to now given the lax approach from Westminster.

How did that work? Are there the same issues with policing in Wales and there are in England?

If so then them going in hard, whilst having public health benefits, will have presumably also led to some of the profiling issues that SR is referencing in his concerns about mandatory masks?

I can only talk about local to me, they enforced the 2 km rule pretty severely in terms of patrolling beaches and other visitor attractions, and were big on stopping people coming down from away.

I'm not going to go bat for the South Wales Police, if levels of discrimination are any lower then it's because this must be one of the least ethnically diverse parts of the country.

5 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

I can only talk about local to me, they enforced the 2 km rule pretty severely in terms of patrolling beaches and other visitor attractions, and were big on stopping people coming down from away.

2km would definitely reduce infection rates pretty effectively 

• Haha 1

Johnson confirms there will be an independent public inquiry into the Covid-19 response. 

Presumably they just need to finish off the report into Islamophobia within the Tory Party and the report into Russian interference in the election that the government has been sitting on for months first. 

21 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

I'd be very surprised if it was a public enquiry. A lot harder to produce a whitewash result. 

I dont see how it can't be, its an unprecedented situation. 

2 hours ago, Tommok said:

Johnson confirms there will be an independent public inquiry into the Covid-19 response. 

Presumably they just need to finish off the report into Islamophobia within the Tory Party and the report into Russian interference in the election that the government has been sitting on for months first. 

when you say independent...just which of his mates has he got lined up for Cummings to approve  

?

In other news I am going to donate my plasma on Monday. They are going to see if I have any antibodies left and how many I have. If don't have any/enough to be used to fight covid. They'll still be use it for cancer patients and burn patients. 

• Like 3

Well yeah it won't be independent, or very public and it probably won't be an inquiry either 

37 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

In other news I am going to donate my plasma on Monday. They are going to see if I have any antibodies left and how many I have. If don't have any/enough to be used to fight covid. They'll still be use it for cancer patients and burn patients. 

Nice one mate. 

Go ed Keir Starmer’s twitter get into him he’s s***e 

16 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

~Starmer's Twitter person is half decent by the way, hired straight from the Momentum camp.

Ah eh he’s gonna get sacked 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

SAGE wanted lockdown on by 16th March - the government refused and it is estimated that between 20,000 and 48,000 lives were lost because of that decision.

At this point, an opposition not demanding resignation of the figures behind this decision...