By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coronavirus

Tosh

Just now, Tommok said:

So just so I get my head round this - do the overall national figures that were provided in the daily briefings and that most people refer to, include the pillar 2 results? 

They are in the stats but not at a granular level. They are public as of today. It wasn't always available to the local authorities either.

But all test stats generally have been unreported on quite a lot of days for all different reasons. (unsurprisingly with this lot in charge)

The media have looked to turn this into a bigger issue than it possbly is as the numbers in the 36 areas they have said are about to get local restrictions are still low. In the 3 areas they said most at risk they are 50%+ lower than in Leicester. Stating things like 200% increase when its gone from 0 to 2. Technically correct yes but in an entire county almost meaningless. Its irresponsible and is causing huge anxiety to many people, particularly those who don't look beyond a headline.

22 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

They are in the stats but not at a granular level. They are public as of today. It wasn't always available to the local authorities either.

But all test stats generally have been unreported on quite a lot of days for all different reasons. (unsurprisingly with this lot in charge)

The media have looked to turn this into a bigger issue than it possbly is as the numbers in the 36 areas they have said are about to get local restrictions are still low. In the 3 areas they said most at risk they are 50%+ lower than in Leicester. Stating things like 200% increase when its gone from 0 to 2. Technically correct yes but in an entire county almost meaningless. Its irresponsible and is causing huge anxiety to many people, particularly those who don't look beyond a headline.

OK cheers.

Just for further clarity what does the "granular level" bit mean? 

10 minutes ago, Tommok said:

OK cheers.

Just for further clarity what does the "granular level" bit mean? 

Postcode location of the people getting tested. Public health officials saying they could have acted quicker if they had that level of info as the outbreak was confirmed almost 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Postcode location of the people getting tested. Public health officials saying they could have acted quicker if they had that level of info as the outbreak was confirmed almost 2 weeks ago.

Ah OK, thanks Muley. 

I think the next change in government emphasis to try and normalize the numbers is going to be on the 'with coronavirus' part. As hospital deaths continue to drop it will be made an almost secondary issue on the deaths, particularly in the care sector.

2 hours ago, muleskinner said:

Stating things like 200% increase when its gone from 0 to 2. Technically correct yes.

No one hates me more than me right now. It’s an illness I have but... no

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

They have been reporting the P2 test numbers but not at a local level.

Yeah but the point is, this shower of a government created a contract where Deloitte weren’t obliged to report anything.

Jesus christ, the school return guidelines are just as bad as the leaks. I cannot see how these are workable in any medium and up sized secondary. Staggered timetables for year groups, separate waiting areas for buses they're going to get on together? Face masks essential for public transport but shouldn't be worn in classrooms? Teaching staff not at high risk because ONS data says we haven't died as much whilst at home compared to the key workers who didn't get to work from home.

All of it wrapped in "should", "could", "where possible" to give maximum wiggle room.

The toll this is going to take on heads and SLTs to sort this s***show out is massive.

16 hours ago, muleskinner said:

Stating things like 200% increase when its gone from 0 to 2. Technically correct yes but in an entire county almost meaningless.

Technically, that's an infinite increase 😛

41 minutes ago, Bailo said:

Jesus christ, the school return guidelines are just as bad as the leaks. I cannot see how these are workable in any medium and up sized secondary. Staggered timetables for year groups, separate waiting areas for buses they're going to get on together? Face masks essential for public transport but shouldn't be worn in classrooms? Teaching staff not at high risk because ONS data says we haven't died as much whilst at home compared to the key workers who didn't get to work from home.

All of it wrapped in "should", "could", "where possible" to give maximum wiggle room.

The toll this is going to take on heads and SLTs to sort this s***show out is massive.

It really does look like a logistical nightmare. As you say large secondary schools will massively struggle and really feel for SLT trying to sort this. 

It's becoming increasingly clear though that homeschooling is unsustainable. The drop off in engagement from students at our school is very noticeable now. Add in the pressure it puts on households and there's a big need to get the kids back in. Pity we have a completely inept government in place to plan it properly. I'm lucky in that our head teacher is really sound and is big on staff and pupil well being. There will be some academy chains where staff are really going to get hung out to dry though.

1 hour ago, Bailo said:

To which the answer is, "Show some guts!"

3 hours ago, Bailo said:

My wife is an assistant head and she hasn’t finished work before 2am this week (after a day in school til 6pm then a gap to be with the kids til 9pm). 

18 minutes ago, DecidedByPoll said:

My wife is an assistant head and she hasn’t finished work before 2am this week (after a day in school til 6pm then a gap to be with the kids til 9pm). 

I know everyone wants kids back in, and it is for the better, but these proposals are dangerous, unscientific, rushed and entirely motivated by economic and political reasons. I hope the unions go in hard on these.