Sign in to follow this  
Tosh

Coronavirus

Wuhan has over 1200 confirmed cases. 41 dead - which is a very low number (and hopefully stays that way) at current infection rates

Interesting test for the Chinese Govt this

Covering it up and also building a new hospital in 10 days is pretty good going

Better than our s*** govts could do

Given that the Chinese government spent the first days of the outbreak arresting journalists and people online spreading the news, it's a fair bet the actual numbers are significantly worse than reported.

You've talked a truckload of s**** here and now want to hide behind 'it's just the Internet'. Poor.

What the actual f*** are you talking about?

Presumably Nick Knowles has flown over there with his crew.

I suspect fewer people would die on the job on one of our Govt projects mind

I suspect fewer people would die on the job on one of our Govt projects mind

No need to properly compulsory purchase the land either - just kick the current occupiers out and move them on - worked well for the stadiums for the Beijing Olympics

Edited by TommoK

Well, I’m blaming Thatcher

I had food poisoning this week, on my birthday too (that said, spending your birthday in bed isn't all bad). That's on Thatcher too

Normal influenza killed 80,000 in the USA in 2018

Yep - Flu isn't "a bad cold" kills over 10k in the UK annually. Most are very old or young or the sick but all the same it's an utter b*****d

there was a video on the twitter - could have been of anything to be honest - of people just standing around, like at a bus stop, and then POW, face planting to the deck. Claimed to be victims of this - they were followed up with ambulance crews of people in chemical uniforms

Thoughts and prayers are with the people of China 

I'm stealing this

6 days. About a hundred JCBs on site to throw up a hospital in under a week. China is f***ing mental.

It's amazing what you can do when you don't have to follow any regulations

It's amazing what you can do when you don't have to follow any regulations

Obviously they have regulations

But they don’t have a parasitic health and safety executive running its own fiefdom

Governments and the media love to scare the masses. It takes the focus off.

Normal influenza killed 80,000 in the USA in 2018

Sounds like a lot (and is, the highest in 40 years) but when you consider that ~20% of the general population is infected every year, that makes it around 0.05% of all cases being lethal. The number of deaths with influenza as the direct cause of death is only in the hundreds per year.

Pretty much everyone who dies of it are already weakened from a pre existing condition, or severely frail from advanced old age.

If we are to believe the numbers from China, the mortality rate of the corona virus is 3%, so 60 times higher than influenza. Although mortality is also mostly among the elderly, it is likely a lot more dangerous than the flu.

Edited by Kid Klopp

so what are we doing about it?

I've got a Chinese booked (in Garstang) Friday night and then the match on Saturday

surely this puts me (and the whole world) in some kind of enhanced 'danger-matrix'

Sounds like a lot (and is, the highest in 40 years) but when you consider that ~20% of the general population is infected every year, that makes it around 0.05% of all cases being lethal. The number of deaths with influenza as the direct cause of death is only in the hundreds per year.

Pretty much everyone who dies of it are already weakened from a pre existing condition, or severely frail from advanced old age.

If we are to believe the numbers from China, the mortality rate of the corona virus is 3%, so 60 times higher than influenza. Although mortality is also mostly among the elderly, it is likely a lot more dangerous than the flu.

assuming it's as virulent - HIV/AIDS at first was a death sentence but you can't catch it through the air so wasn't as virulent

assuming it's as virulent - HIV/AIDS at first was a death sentence but you can't catch it through the air so wasn't as virulent

Latest news is that it is (or had become) a lot more virulent than first assumed and carriers with no symptoms yet can also transmit it.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2231453-new-coronavirus-may-be-much-more-contagious-than-initially-thought/

Had a hazmat team out in Harborne, Birmingham yesterday.