Tosh

Coronavirus

Not one media outlet is doing a good job. If Governments are floundering, and they are, so is high quality reporting of this crisis.

i like The Guardian, but they’re all over the place.

their today in focus podcast has been good though

Not excusing it, but can you even imagine what the Mail, the rag etc would be like if it were a Labour government on charge during this?

'70% of the country to DIE due to Labour mis-management of Co-vid 19 Crisis'.

Genuinely reckon they'd have incited mass riots by now.

3 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

The 8k figure headline is disingenuous and sensationalist by the guardian. 

Entirely unhelpful to many people too.

It's really unhelpful. They are using studies from IHME who have, in other studies, dramatically overstated hospitalisations in the US and and are now frantically revising them downwards.  

1 hour ago, cymrococh said:

Yeah, of course first text she gets is from a Dr mate who says the same as FSPG - people are having 3 or 4 negative tests before actually testing positive. 

Hope she gets well soon mate. It must be a relief to get the negative result but still a worry for you in the back of your minds.

19 minutes ago, Case said:

Bloody Hell. Where do you go with that? Totally messes with peoples heads.

Let's hope the antibody testing is more reliable/definitive or the mooted policy of letting people out and about if they get the right result initially is going to be a problem.

27 minutes ago, Stanley Leisure said:

I think some of the Guardian coverage has been a bit irresponsible. 

I get that they are committed to sticking it to this government, fair play to that, but they seem to be actively looking for worst case scenarios and running them as breaking news.

BBC were doing the same until fairly recently.

Neither of them are any good for most recent UK updates, figures and things.

2 hours ago, muleskinner said:

The margin in that report seems a bit wild. We aren't at the same levels as Spain and Italy were at the same time and they are seemingly over the peak without being anywhere near that figure.

The numbers from that report seem to be all over the shop, they have Ireland at only 400 deaths by August but we're already at 210 and had 36 deaths yesterday. Our CMO was pretty scathing about it

But Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan warned this evening that this model was not an accurate representation of the situation in Ireland. 

“It simply isn’t true. It’s not reliable,” Holohan said at the Department of Health’s Covid-19 update, where it emerged that 36 more people had died from the virus in Ireland, the biggest daily number so far.

“That’s not something that people should listen to or rely upon.”

Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn explained that the model did not take into account what might happen in Ireland over the coming days, or this evening’s figures.

“From what we can tell that model is not really a model at all, to be honest,” he said.

“It just took existing case data and basically suggested that because things seem to have stabilised over a short number of days, that perhaps we’ve reached a peak.”

Glynn also said the department’s modelling group, led by Professor Philip Nolan of NUI Maynooth, would provide a more accurate forecast of the situation in Ireland and the effect of physical distancing measures because its parameters would be more extensive.

“I think really people need to wait and see what comes out of that,” he said.

“I think it’s important that people wouldn’t take undue store from what was said in that work from America, because it would certainly by to undue complacency at a time when we certainly can’t afford that.”

Edited by Maldini

Beginning to think Johnson isn't even in hospital.  Far more likely that a) he's panicked at the need for real leadership and is hiding in a fridge, b) he's on holiday (probably Necker with Branson), or c) his Washington/Kremlin handlers have recalled him.

How are these 25,000 diagnostic tests and 100,000 anti body tests a day getting on? Also these 20,000 ventilators. Are those mechanics at McLaren and Dyson having too many tea breaks?

14 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

How are these 25,000 diagnostic tests and 100,000 anti body tests a day getting on? Also these 20,000 ventilators. Are those mechanics at McLaren and Dyson having too many tea breaks?

This is what I keep wanting to hear progress reports on but all we're getting is progress reports on the prick Johnson. Meanwhile doctors and nurses are dying as are f***ing hundreds of other people per day. 

12 minutes ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Another 828 deaths yesterday. We must be approaching peak soon, surely? 

And that's just England

My sons condition, who has Crohn's , had been gradually getting worse to the point he gaf to go into hospital for tests this week.  Before he was able to go for his normal tests,  he had to have a test for coronavirus. Despite having no symptoms, it was a weird 24 hours and was a relief to get the all clear.  

Edited by jimbolala
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, muleskinner said:

The 8k figure headline is disingenuous and sensationalist by the guardian. 

Entirely unhelpful to many people too.

I agree about the 8k figure but the hospital figures are misleading as to the scale of this. As Jarg said there are 6 dead in 1 care home in Wavertree

Just now, scoose said:

I agree about the 8k figure but the hospital figures are misleading as to the scale of this. As Jarg said there are 6 dead in 1 care home in Wavertree

I know that is happening but that article is wrong and been proven to be so.

3 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

I know that is happening but that article is wrong and been proven to be so.

I know - I think my point is that all figures seem to be a load of s***e cos everyone is gaming in a f***ing pandemic and its a joke

4 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

We aren't counting those who are dying at home or in care homes though. There were 6 in 1 care home down the road from me over the weekend.

Making 9 deaths in total at Oak Springs and 2 more in critical care.

1 hour ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Another 828 deaths yesterday. We must be approaching peak soon, surely? 

Still potentially a couple of weeks away sadly

Hopefully it is sooner rather than later but then you've got the reporting of deaths and the delays in that so the figure might continue to get higher for a bit longer yet

It’s also not going to be a sharp up then down peak. Spain is up again today, only a bit, on a large number. They were predicted to be at the peak about now so it looks like a few days at the current sort of level

Yep. Flatten, for a period first. 

We'll hit that 20k figure for sure. It's a deadly virus with no vaccine. 

Is there an up to date figure for how many people the UK has tested and is testing per day? Other countries seem to be quite openly publicizing these.

The wife had to go and say farewell to her nan who is 103 yesterday through a window in her care home. The home have a resident with  a "chest infection" and are moving all residents to 14 days isolating in their rooms.

Mrs B adores her nan and is naturally fearing the worst.

2 minutes ago, Stevie H said:

Is there an up to date figure for how many people the UK has tested and is testing per day? Other countries seem to be quite openly publicizing these.

They are ramping up the testing. Ramping it up. Its going to be so ramped.