Tosh

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Gerry said:

The (private) school my wife works at has just put 2/3rds of the staff on furlough, so god knows how that'll work with them having to grade students.

I assume it's non-TLR teachers? Heads of department still actively employed to grade pupils?

How are they dealing with setting work though when most of their staff are off?

This question was asked/alluded to many pages back...

Emerging evidence from China shows smokers with COVID-19 are 14 times more likely to develop severe respiratory disease.

12 minutes ago, Tosh said:

This question was asked/alluded to many pages back...

Emerging evidence from China shows smokers with COVID-19 are 14 times more likely to develop severe respiratory disease.

Where did you read that please?

1 hour ago, Bailo said:

I really don't like how they've passed the buck onto schools with the rank order. I can be reasonably confident about setting grades but ranking within a grade band? Not at all.

Yeah that ranking is ridiculous. Impossible to differentiate between some students.

30 minutes ago, Gerry said:

The (private) school my wife works at has just put 2/3rds of the staff on furlough, so god knows how that'll work with them having to grade students.

Blimey. I guess fees have stopped coming in to pay them.

Edited by Dan

17 minutes ago, Bailo said:

I assume it's non-TLR teachers? Heads of department still actively employed to grade pupils?

How are they dealing with setting work though when most of their staff are off?

Yeah, I think heads aren't affected. You'd have to hope they're in a position to grade the pupils (based on reports etc) but it'll be made more difficult without the feedback from the people actually teaching them. 

As for setting work, they aren't telling the parents or pupils what's going on, so I guess they're just going to wing it. Not sure how the pupils will react to having a different teacher suddenly respond to queries. TBH it sounds like they're in dire financial straits so it's panic measures all round.

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

Blimey. I guess fees have stopped coming in to pay them.

You don’t need to prove you haven’t got any money to furlough your staff do you? I guess for a private school, doing that and getting the government to pick up 80% of the wage bill - even if they don’t need to - is quite attractive 

2 minutes ago, Gethin said:

You don’t need to prove you haven’t got any money to furlough your staff do you? I guess for a private school, doing that and getting the government to pick up 80% of the wage bill - even if they don’t need to - is quite attractive 

That is also entirely a possibility. They are a bunch of c****.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pipnasty said:

Not sure what to think of this

Covid-19: four fifths of cases are asymptomatic, China figures indicate

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1375?=&utm_source=adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=usage&utm_content=daily&utm_term=text

Very interesting. I wish there were tests available. I was with a mate on the kop for the Atleti game (and also on holiday with him the week before) who then spent the next 2 weeks really poorly with it. Why didn't I get it? Or did I get it and just didn't have any symptoms?

You'd think our government would be all over this. Get everyone back out there.

10 minutes ago, Dan said:

You'd think our government would be all over this. Get everyone back out there.

Expect more of the same from last night referencing this over the weekend. It's a huge story if true.

6 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Expect more of the same from last night referencing this over the weekend. It's a huge story if true.

It's horrible not knowing who to believe. Like, I'm not sure I trust any government at the moment let alone China.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

It's horrible not knowing who to believe. Like, I'm not sure I trust any government at the moment let alone China.

I don't think any government should be trusted

Just now, Swan Red said:

I agree. It's f***ing s***.

48 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

Not sure what to think of this

Covid-19: four fifths of cases are asymptomatic, China figures indicate

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1375?=&utm_source=adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=usage&utm_content=daily&utm_term=text

I don't know what to make of it either.

They are talking about new infections, so are they asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic?  We already know there is an incubation period.

44 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Our government, the US government, Chinese, almost all governments see us as collateral.

1 hour ago, pipnasty said:

Yeah, I tend not to trust anybody who is saying 'get back to work'

Yeah....this seems to be the trend. The "game changing" anti body test

21 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

Yeah....this seems to be the trend. The "game changing" anti body test

That's completely different to the Chinese research point.

This would suggest that most people could be carriers.  Wouldn't a relaxing of a lockdown then actually help it spread again?

Edited by Duncan Disorderly