Tosh

Coronavirus

17 minutes ago, Florist Cinema Pond Goal said:

Sorry I’ll be clearer! Although don’t know if I’m doing more harm than good by piping up

You are absolutely doing good.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

I think I've got through it, was bad mid week but felt loads better last night, today I didn't wake with a headache for the first time. Cut the grass this morning and am now f***ed. Mrs M is yoyo-ing again, temperature back up high last night but back down again now.

‘’kin ell, this thing is nasty 

46 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

105k in the US alone now

My prediction of 250k by next Thursday is woefully optimistic

That's surprising that. Because your predictions about all things American are usually so accurate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

48 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

I think I've got through it, was bad mid week but felt loads better last night, today I didn't wake with a headache for the first time. Cut the grass this morning and am now f***ed. Mrs M is yoyo-ing again, temperature back up high last night but back down again now.

That was kinda my experience too - one of the worst headaches I have ever had for a couple of days. And yeah, it absolutely knackered me for quite a while. It does sound like you've had it worse though to be fair

26 minutes ago, Stevie H said:

That's surprising that. Because your predictions about all things American are usually so accurate.

well the first one was accurate if a bit optimistic. Same for this

3 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

181 more dead in 24hrs. f***ing hell.

the number of people who have died with the virus in the UK rose by 260 to 1,019 on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, Falconhoof said:

the number of people who have died with the virus in the UK rose by 260 to 1,019 on Saturday.

Yeah, I saw yesterday's figure again. Crazy.

Terrifying thing is we have already been told 20k deaths is a 'good outcome'. So we are now a 20th of the way there if we get the best case scenario, unless we are now hoping for better since measures were introduced?

I can't get my head around the numbers. They are too big and too awful.

One of my best mate's brother is in hospital on a ventilator. In his 30s, really fit, got a young son. No one can visit him obviously. Its f***ing horrible.

Edited by psl

2 hours ago, Michael said:

I went shopping in Solihull yesterday and only had to queue for about five minutes. Depends on the time of day I guess.

What time was that? 

3 hours ago, Florist Cinema Pond Goal said:

Really glad to hear he’s stable 

Getting better than drastically worse is something I’m seeing - paper in the Lancet suggested the deterioration is due to a large immune response. This is thought to happen when viral load decreases 

Is that the "cytokine storm" I've seen mentioned by medics? 

21 hours ago, jimbolala said:

Can't delete the above bit, sorry. As I understand it, what the Imperial College/Ferguson and now saying is that they expect the total deaths to be below 20K and more than half of those would probably have died during the year anyway. Saw figures of actual deaths stated now to be about 5700 as per their latest model. Not sure where they're getting these figures from. 

20 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

Yeah, gonna really start getting tough now, isn't it?

So this exponential increase in the level of cases and deaths isn’t a surge?

1 hour ago, psl said:

Terrifying thing is we have already been told 20k deaths is a 'good outcome'. So we are now a 20th of the way there if we get the best case scenario, unless we are now hoping for better since measures were introduced?

I can't get my head around the numbers. They are too big and too awful.

One of my best mate's brother is in hospital on a ventilator. In his 30s, really fit, got a young son. No one can visit him obviously. Its f***ing horrible.

Dreadful, I know its fully required but people having to go into hospital alone is heartbreaking particularly as so many are elderly. 

Fingers crossed for your mate.

Not been on for a few days and haven't got time to go through all new posts but Sammy glad your dad is doing better and to everyone else keep safe..

• Like 1

Mrs P's parents live about 300 miles away and are both self-isolating for 12 weeks due to age and medical conditions. They get on really well with their next-door neighbour who has said she will do their shopping for them but they have refused to accept the offer and want home deliveries from supermarket instead. But, the supermarkets aren't taking on new customers and, even if they were, there are no slots available for weeks. The in-laws have basically ran out of food - neighbours have left shopping at their door but they are refusing to take it in. It's got to the point where Mrs P is talking about driving down there to sort it out with them. Last thing we need, innit?

7 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

Mrs P's parents live about 300 miles away and are both self-isolating for 12 weeks due to age and medical conditions. They get on really well with their next-door neighbour who has said she will do their shopping for them but they have refused to accept the offer and want home deliveries from supermarket instead. But, the supermarkets aren't taking on new customers and, even if they were, there are no slots available for weeks. The in-laws have basically ran out of food - neighbours have left shopping at their door but they are refusing to take it in. It's got to the point where Mrs P is talking about driving down there to sort it out with them. Last thing we need, innit?

Why won't they take it in? That's taking being stubborn to a crazy levels.

Cases in the USA 1 week ago - 21 March - 24,583. 24 March - doubled to 54,453, Today,  28 March doubled again 105k

UK - 19 March 3,269; 23 Mar - 6,650; 26 March 11,658; 28 March - 17,300

Some of this is to do with more testing and many of those 'new' figures would have been simply undetected a few days before - but we're seeing doubling every 3-4 days right now

2 minutes ago, psl said:

Why won't they take it in? That's taking being stubborn to a crazy levels.

Cos they want a supermarket delivery - I know, crazy isn't it? The MIL (who is 79) has said that she will go to the supermarket herself if she has to. 

1 minute ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

Cases in the USA 1 week ago - 21 March - 24,583. 24 March - doubled to 54,453, Today,  28 March doubled again 105k

UK - 19 March 3,269; 23 Mar - 6,650; 26 March 11,658; 28 March - 17,300

Some of this is to do with more testing and many of those 'new' figures would have been simply undetected a few days before - but we're seeing doubling every 3-4 days right now

Few factors to consider here if you want to consider the numbers a true representation

As you say you test more people you’re going to find more cases. But also have to remember the test doesn’t pick up all positive cases (60-70% ‘sensitive’). What this means is a negative test doesn’t mean you don’t have it. 

This is proving a real problem in reality as there are patients who act like COVID patients, have the blood profile and the imaging of COVID patients but multiple swabs come back negative. In a small number it’s needed 3 or 4 swabs to get a positive result.

What this means is the case numbers are going to be underestimated further still. Remember also we’re only recording deaths where they managed to get a positive swab before they passed away. 

Overall the numbers will give you trends but just be aware there are likely to be many more patients

defo - I've had a dry cough all week, and slight chest tension; I suffer from nothing, no asthma no allergies or anything. I'm still doing the usual stuff, still running.

Am I going to get tested? No. Because the symptoms aren't severe enough to warrant it. Do I have it? Probably not, I'll likely never know.