Tosh

Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

my dad was saying a week ago that they've run out of freezers in parts of the UK - people trying to buy a(nother) freezer to put their hoarding into

One outage of the electricity and it’s all pointless.

It would be interesting to see how many coronavirus deaths there are compared to last year's normal flu deaths. It's difficult to judge really how bad it is. Like on this date last year how many died of the flu

There's loads of info on flu to be found online. Its not like a normal flu though, we know that. Beware the PHE figures are not reliable

Edited by D.Boon

2 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

Apparently Coronavirus was mentioned on a TV series called My Secret, Terrius over 2 years ago?

Coronavirus isn't new is it, just this strain I think

Just now, Gethin said:

Coronavirus isn't new is it, just this strain I think

It's just the name for a group of viruses. What we call the 'flu is a coronavirus. So was SARS. So was MERS. Just types of coronavirus. 

Just now, Stevie H said:

It's just the name for a group of viruses. What we call the 'flu is a coronavirus. So was SARS. So was MERS. Just types of coronavirus. 

So what you're saying is we're all f**ked and loads of things have predicted this very thing that is happening right now???? !??!!??! ?!?! ?!

@Earl Hafler - you're not stupid. Do the research before posting, eh?

12 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

Why do people keep comparing to the flu?

Because I would like to see the comparison between the number of normal deaths and what is happening now.  Flu deaths are deemed normal  thus the use of the term

But it's not like for like - it's all about % mortality. I saw someone - some WWE d**do - on the twitter saying "more people die in car accidents but I'm not going to stop driving"

He deserves it

43 minutes ago, Tosh said:

If we all had it asymptomatically before and now more folk are showing more serious symptoms, that suggests either the strong had it first and now its attacking the weak, or its getting stronger/deadlier 

There is a theory, which mirrors how some other viruses work, that it's exposure to other corona viruses like some of the flu and cold viruses and the subsequent antibodies created for them that makes this virus more dangerous for people. Antibodies sort of recognise COVID 19 if you've had those before and that allows it to enter places in the body where antibodies do their work, but they can't as it's new to them. If you've not had those virus before then the body deals with it differently. 

That explains why the very young are mainly asymptomatic. It's also frightening that if there's a second mutated wave that gets people who have already had this one, symptoms will be worse as people's bodies will recognise it even more but won't be able to fight it. 

We really need to test everyone who thinks they've had it or been exposed to people that have as soon as possible and just test, test, test. The only way we beat this is by working out what it is and how it works. 

Edited by Billy Talbot

40 minutes ago, jimbolala said:

It would be interesting to see how many coronavirus deaths there are compared to last year's normal flu deaths. It's difficult to judge really how bad it is. Like on this date last year how many died of the flu

The problem with comparing it to flu is that loads of people have immunity to various strains so that social distancing and isolation thing is built into the population. So yeah, people get it, people die, but it's at a level that it's one of those things that people die of. It gets passed on, but usually only to a handful of people who have relatively mild symptoms. Some people are immune so the branch of contagion is stopped with them and not passed on.  People who die from flu usually die from a side effect, pneumonia. COVID19 is effectively viral pneumonia, so it's cutting out the middle man, with no immunity from anyone. 

You let this thing run riot and everyone gets it, hundreds of thousands of people will die of it because it's only effective and timely treatment that keeps the death rate "low" and anywhere near comparable with flu.

So comparison is largely irrelevant. 

Edited by Billy Talbot

22 minutes ago, Billy Talbot said:

We really need to test everyone who thinks they've had it or been exposed to people that have as soon as possible and just test, test, test. The only way we beat this is by working out what it is and how it works   

There's the main tagline for the trailer when the film adaption comes out - delivered by Steven Seagal or Kurt Russell as the lead scientist 

Edited by Tommok

36 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

Why do people keep comparing to 

It's not irrelevant if I want to see the pure numbers of deaths to compare them.  Even if I wanted to compare the number of oranges to pears in the world,  there's a reason. 

So,  normally how many people die at this time of year normally through things like the flu,  to how many are dying now. I would like to know what the spike is

3 minutes ago, Tommok said:

There's the main tagline for the trailer when the film adaption comes out - delivered by Steven Seagal or Kurt Russell as the lead scientist 

Rather Keri Russell did the delivery if I'm honest. 

9 minutes ago, Billy Talbot said:

it's only effective and timely treatment that keeps the death rate "low" and anywhere near comparable with flu.

What is the treatment for it though?