Tosh

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Cunny said:

So, I'm currently a contractor but was due to go permanent with my client on April 1st.

Everything had been signed off but today they have pulled the permanent role and are offering a 4 week contract extension.

Permanent role to be reviewed in 8 weeks.

This is due to the current situation with COVID-19.

Anybody know if this is legal? I'm based in UK.

Just saw Sammy's post - all the best mate. Put's things into perspective.

Ah that is rubbish mate.

We have actually lost a load of contractors because our main client got them to switch to perm due to IR35 (most of them didn’t really want to due to the lower money!). So those conversions are all happening next week. 

Honestly I would take the extension for now, I don’t think you’ll have a great deal of legal recourse. Keep things positive and hopefully it will lead to further extensions or the perm job down the line when things settle down.

Bear in mind they would probably rather have you as a perm themselves, so probably a decision made out of necessity and likely higher up in the business.

It will likely be temporary too. In this current climate it’s not worth rocking the boat and ending up out of work.

Edited by Leo No.8
  • Like 1

Got the joy of telling my team they are all furloughed tomorrow. At least they'll be getting paid. Means I'll be even more flat out as a department of 1 and I'm already on my 12th day straight.

Just read Sammya's post. s*** sorry mate my grumbling is inconsequential. 

Edited by D.Boon

Bloke 2 doors from me came out with his guitar & sang Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life with lyrics rewritten  about the NHS.

Was strangely cool & uplifting.

Just catching up with the thread, good luck & stay strong Sammy.

Edited by Tommy Cockles

Had a fascinating snapshot today of how the country may roll out testing going forward

Our trust was asked for volunteers to take part in drive through Covid testing. I signed up and was directed to a secret location staffed by army and medical personnel to carry out swabbing

The assumption i took from it was if they can create a successful process it might be rolled out in large numbers. 

What’s people’s take on the cover for the self employed?

Be strong Sammy and everyone else already directly involved.

Feels like how I always imagined how 'the phoney war' was, this sense of the surreal, maybe it won't happen or be so bad. Eerie to see the world ticking along and feeling it's somebody else's problem. Sensing it could all go wrong quickly but then thinking I'm being melodramatic.

Hug them if you've got them.

28 minutes ago, guernseygareth said:

Be strong Sammy and everyone else already directly involved.

Feels like how I always imagined how 'the phoney war' was, this sense of the surreal, maybe it won't happen or be so bad. Eerie to see the world ticking along and feeling it's somebody else's problem. Sensing it could all go wrong quickly but then thinking I'm being melodramatic.

Hug them if you've got them.

I just emailed a good friend in Nashville saying that it was a really odd time. I’m sitting here in my quiet little road keeping out of the way and looking after my family, while 5 miles away, the Excel is being converted to a field hospital as there’s about to be carnage in the normal ones.

Yet every cough or sniff makes me think it’s really not far from my front room to the Excel

6 hours ago, Cunny said:

So, I'm currently a contractor but was due to go permanent with my client on April 1st.

Everything had been signed off but today they have pulled the permanent role and are offering a 4 week contract extension.

Permanent role to be reviewed in 8 weeks.

This is due to the current situation with COVID-19.

Anybody know if this is legal? I'm based in UK.

Just saw Sammy's post - all the best mate. Put's things into perspective.

I’ve been a contractor at the same firm for about 10 years. 

got let go this morning... 

Edited by Billy Talbot

45 minutes ago, Billy Talbot said:

f***ing hell mate... Sorry to hear that :(

6 hours ago, Billy Talbot said:

Sorry mate, that's really s***.

10 hours ago, Romario said:

What’s people’s take on the cover for the self employed?

Better than I was expecting be honest. Having to wait until at least June to see any money is a bit annoying. Still, better than a kick in the teeth.  

14 minutes ago, Redray said:

Better than I was expecting be honest. Having to wait until at least June to see any money is a bit annoying. Still, better than a kick in the teeth.  

Why is there a wait till June? Is it to organise it or what’s the thinking? 

Unfortunately as a director of a limited company none of it really applies for me so no income for the foreseeable future. I’m going to have to apply for universal credit I think which isn’t going to help too much but better than nothing. 

Also for the extension of the date for filing returns, he said, but don't see why those that met the deadline can't get paid out.

11 hours ago, pipnasty said:

Half of them clapping will still vote Tory next time

Yes. I don't begrudge the NHS its recognition but it's largely a hollow gesture because on the one hand it won't translate to tangible change in pay and conditions after this is over and that round of applause will be just enough to salve the conscience of the tory voting masses so that they don't have to change their voting habits. "We clapped... what more do they want?".