Tosh

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Meaning what exactly?

From the head of the school.......

"we are being told that the national school closures will likely last for months not weeks"

Edited by D.Boon

2 hours ago, charlie clown said:

And in separate news...

One of Dinosaur Jr's occasional band members died from it in the last day or two - saw the mini-obit on line earlier.

Hmmm. They’ve got a drummer called Murph.

15 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

"we are being told that the national school closures will likely last for months not weeks"

Surely everyone was already assuming they’re closed till September.

6 hours ago, Tommy Cockles said:

That was deaths. New cases continued to fall.  Although the testing variable is obviously always in play.

Hopefully deaths fall again today (well, obviously like)

They did. 👍

47 minutes ago, Will said:

Source? Can't see anything about that online...

It was on the Dinosaur Jr. Facebook age this morning.

The message was:

Arthur Hurwitz died today of complications from COVID 19. I will miss Artie. He was a great friend. I used a picture of his face as the sun on the cover of our first LP. He also sang “Lotta Love” with Dino on a Neil Young tribute album, and, “Feel a whole lot better,” on a Byrds tribute LP.
Beyond Sad, Love you. J

58 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

Oh right. Yeah, thought it was common knowledge. I was more interested in what he/she was going to suggest as an alternative to distance learning.

The wife works in a jewelers and the boss has decided to keep the pawnbroking section reopen which I am f***ing furious about.

Expects her to go to work for the next couple of days as "There will be self employed people who need it"

Heartless c***, and it has resulted in a rather heated exchange of views between me and the wife.

22 hours ago, Duncan Disorderly said:

Is it a big telecoms company once run by the state?

No. Isolation due to being high risk or someone else in the household displaying symptoms is special leave. Isolation due to having symptoms yourself is sick leave and disregarded as part of the normal review of multiple absences.

8 minutes ago, Redray said:

Dont wanna jump the gun but we might just be falling away from Italy's curve. 

Encouraging (if we can think of it that way) death rate figures again today in the UK.  Italy's was horrendous again. Spain's too. The fallout from all this in those countries will be long and dark.

2 hours ago, D.Boon said:

Yeah, a Head told me on Friday it would be September. They wanted to tell the parents it was still after Easter, then June half-term before informing them it would be Autumn to instil a sense of hope and optimism (and goodwill). But the staff were saying goodbye to their colleagues due to leave in July. 

Weird, I've had no inkling at all about schools being shut until September. Guess given how late they were shut made me think the Govt would reopen as quick as they could.

Gonna f*** up the Y10s and Y12s as well, that.

My kids are already bored. 5 more months is going to be really tough on them.

All of today's deaths were underlying health issues apart from a 47 year old. I should stop looking at the news.

49 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Encouraging (if we can think of it that way) death rate figures again today in the UK.  Italy's was horrendous again. Spain's too. The fallout from all this in those countries will be long and dark.

The figures from Italy and Spain are terrifying. 

34 minutes ago, Bailo said:

Weird, I've had no inkling at all about schools being shut until September. Guess given how late they were shut made me think the Govt would reopen as quick as they could.

Gonna f*** up the Y10s and Y12s as well, that.

Will have to be adjustments for exams for them as well I expect.

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

The figures from Italy and Spain are terrifying. 

Could climate be a factor? I'm not clued up on the science of it all so tell me I am being thick here.... I know it got mentioned a lot of it has potentially been put down to the greeting embrace that is traditional in Italy too?

19 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

Could climate be a factor? I'm not clued up on the science of it all so tell me I am being thick here.... I know it got mentioned a lot of it has potentially been put down to the greeting embrace that is traditional in Italy too?

Pollution could be a factor,  not sure about Spain, but apparently the parts of china and italy that have been hit the worst both suffer from pollution 

5 hours ago, D.Boon said:

Yeah I would be massively surprised if kids went back earlier than September. 

My kids have kept themselves entertained while I work from home, which has been great. Buts it's only been 3 days.

Been good seeing them work through school assessments and impressed how my eldest is cracking on straight away in the mornings with his work. Though daunting when he asks for me to check some stuff and I have zero clue whether it's right or wrong. 

My two are proper fidgeters too and have to be doing stuff. Fortunately my flat has an adjoining field which is part of the complex which will prove very handy 

Edited by Barnesy_10