4 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

Italy reporting another fall in new cases which would suggest that lockdown is working

if lockdown is the only known method of containing this thing then what happens when restrictions are lifted? It feels like another outbreak is inevitable once people are allowed go about their lives again. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

News of our kitchen has spread around Bham - we've been doing deliveries over but now there's a Q at the door each night. Planning meeting tonight to decide how to cater/cope. Heartbreaking stuff. And

If he sees Paul Weller or Johnny Marr wear one he'll soon change his mind.

My condolences man. Ouch

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Boca said:

if lockdown is the only known method of containing this thing then what happens when restrictions are lifted? It feels like another outbreak is inevitable once people are allowed go about their lives again. 

Well hopefully antibody tests are available (and the antibodies give immunity). And hopefully a vaccine arrives.

Just now, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

Well hopefully antibody tests are available (and the antibodies give immunity). And hopefully a vaccine arrives.

If we have to wait for a vaccine and the world economy stays paralysed we are in real trouble. I think the best possible scenario now is this Oxford Uni study which suggests half of us have it already being correct.

15 minutes ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

A vaccine is 12 months away 

Think the test to say whether you've had it previously is key to allowing some sections of society to get back to some kind of normality. A vaccine will be needed for complete lifting of restrictions I imagine.

2 hours ago, Leo No.8 said:

I’m very skeptical of this theory. I don’t think it will fit the data when tested. Germany has been testing on a huge scale and has found an infection rate of approx 3% of the population. Why would it be 50% in the UK ?

17 minutes ago, Falconhoof said:

I’m very skeptical of this theory. I don’t think it will fit the data when tested. Germany has been testing on a huge scale and has found an infection rate of approx 3% of the population. Why would it be 50% in the UK ?

What I would say on that is Germany’s mortality rate for those infected with their higher level of testing is only 0.3% (22,364 cases and 84 deaths). I can’t believe there can be any good logical reason for this massively lower death rate other than it being due to more tests being conducted. They have been testing people with mild symptoms or coming back from hotspots but as far as I’m aware still not those without any symptoms at all.

Edited by Leo No.8

The thing is lots of people officially  have it. 

[MASSIVELY UNSCIENTIFIC POINT ALERT] If we look at famous people as an indicator, the heir to the throne, footballers, actors, the lad from Redmen TV, all sorts.

As well as folk on this forum, their partners etc.

I think it’s massively more out there than we think, and perversely this may be a good thing.

Edited by Tommy Cockles
3 minutes ago, Tommy Cockles said:

[MASSIVELY UNSCIENTIFIC POINT ALERT] If we look at famous people as an indicator, the heir to the throne, footballers, actors, the lad from Redmen TV, all sorts.

I think it’s massively more out there than we think, and perversely this may be a good thing.

Famous people yes. But there's an awful lot of people convincing themselves they have it because they have a bit of a cough. You'd think all other cold and flus had stopped existing. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy Cockles said:

Exactly - if you consider the numbers of cases reported, then the likelihood of knowing someone who may have it or someone famous having it. No way that adds up - like you say hopefully that’s good news even though you wouldn’t think it would be! Famous people are probably more likely to be tested. Anyway let’s just wait for Madonna to give us an update from her bath.

Edited by Leo No.8
8 minutes ago, Sion said:

Famous people yes. But there's an awful lot of people convincing themselves they have it because they have a bit of a cough. You'd think all other cold and flus had stopped existing. 

The majority of people will get mild to moderate symptoms. 

Also are any of these famous people even seriously unwell? According to our testing figures around 5% of them should be dying. Someone said it on here a long way back, testing should have been a huge focus much earlier in the process. We are just being reactive and guessing, but then that’s Boris for you isn’t it?

17 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

Also are any of these famous people even seriously unwell? According to our testing figures around 5% of them should be dying. Someone said it on here a long way back, testing should have been a huge focus much earlier in the process. We are just being reactive and guessing, but then that’s Boris for you isn’t it?

Idris Elba didn't have any symptoms did he and he was tested positively.

Prince Charles has mild symptoms

27 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

Anyway let’s just wait for Madonna to give us an update from her bath.

:)

Perhaps she'll have moved over to the loo in the next update

1 hour ago, Boca said:

this has been discussed, yes. A 2w lockdown alone isn't enough.

As for the official figures, I don't believe the Chinese numbers one iota. They've basically only put on about 1,000 cases, in a country of 1.3bn people, in about 3-4 weeks?

Just now, Florist Cinema Pond Goal said:

Seeing previously fit people in their 30s get admitted to ITU. Most are over 50 I should add 

It's weird how some people don't even know they have it whilst others need intensive treatment. 

Is the current thinking still that if you test positive for having it and then "recover" we assume you're now immune and can't catch it again/carry it and give it to others?

Is there any evidence for thinking that is the case?