Tosh

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Gethin said:

When you say laid off, hope you mean on the 80% thing? Pretty indefensible if not

will be told Friday, hopefully the 80%......

7 minutes ago, oakie bob said:

Arrange a small electrical fire if not....

If this crisis teaches us anything, it's that the Capitalist system is inherently wrong, along with its class pyramid structure of top to bottom. If people don't wake up after this, then we're f*cked.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Disorderly said:

If this crisis teaches us anything, it's that the Capitalist system is inherently wrong, along with its class pyramid structure of top to bottom. If people don't wake up after this, then we're f*cked.

Yeah defo

pretty much everyone is on board with this now, even Trump

if they say differently it’s only that they’re jealous ‘cos you worked it out first 

1 hour ago, oakie bob said:

Why the f*** would it not be? literally costs the business nothing to do it (bar a bit of admin).

Ashley Young has written a very clear and helpful guide to social distancing while supermarket shopping.

Just when you think you have adjusted to the new normal...

@Florist Cinema Pond Goal Any idea the best way of getting gloves, aprons and FP1 grade facemasks into the NHS? I've been sitting on a stash since Friday and have tried ringing and emailing to no avail.

How are those with symptoms (in the house) doing? Jonesy, FH Nathan etc?

Edited by Tosh

On 23/03/2020 at 10:42, cymrococh said:

Yeah, I feel so privileged when I realise that I never virtue signal.

Haha

I joked before about people being overly nice pissing me off, but I have noticed a change in attitudes and approaches with people.

I went to the shop yesterday and pretty much laughed and joked with everyone, I don't think many people are fully locking down, and the roads are certainly busy-is.

Currently I am working from home in the bedroom, moved my desk upstairs because I can't have the kids running behind me.

As an aside, this will be the longest period that both my fiancé and i have gone without seeing our parents, which is a weird thought.  I was tempted to go my Mums before lock down and just stay there. 

My dad is in his house in Spain, can’t now get back til June at the earliest. If he gets sick I might never see him again which is a horrible thought. He’s fine tbh but it is weird.

On 23/03/2020 at 12:07, muleskinner said:

Mrs M now on day 3, all the symptoms, fever not too bad considering. I've started to feel like a lead weight has landed in my head and generally wiped out so fully expecting the rest of it start.

All the best for you and yours 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

My dad is in his house in Spain, can’t now get back til June at the earliest. If he gets sick I might never see him again which is a horrible thought. He’s fine tbh but it is weird.

This is the psychological thing I am struggling with. I drove back from Yorkshire to Cheshire yesterday morning and left Claire at her Mum and Dad's not knowing when I'll next see her. And that same thought inevitably plays on your mind, if she were to get sick, I literally wouldn't see her again. Which made for a fun drive. It's hard but essential to stay positive right now but thoughts just keep clashing.

I think that, unfortunately, it is a mistake to think that things will automatically change for the better once this crisis is over. I see this idea that the virus will somehow force neoliberals to see the error of their ways all over my social media but I don't think it will happen. I'm not being down on the idea of change though as I think that the aftermath of Corvid-19 will present a huge opportunity for change that will need an awful lot of work to bring into fruition but it certainly won't be a given. 

I’m not as against it as some in here as I think there are good and bad aspects. But it’s very clear capitalism is not set up for dealing with this kind of global crisis. 

13 hours ago, psl said:

The Germans certainly seem to be fighting it off well.

Ha. Good for them. And with the added bonus that it will upset the BREXITYBLITZSPIRITWARWARWAR types.

11 hours ago, oakie bob said:

well getting laid off from Friday, funny spent a day putting in a new telephone and wi-fi system in one of our garden centres, easy to do with no customers in.......hopefully I will be back to train the staff in a few weeks...........at least I have my health and 3 grown up step kids all working from home............I wonder which of them I will kill first :) 

Sorry man. Find out about myself on Friday too.

And all the best @muleskinner mate

Mrs Cockles now fully recovered from whatever she had. If only there was some sort of test available...

5 minutes ago, Tommy Cockles said:

Ha. Good for them. And with the added bonus that it will upset the BREXITYBLITZSPIRITWARWARWAR types.

Sorry man. Find out about myself on Friday too.

And all the best @muleskinner mate

Mrs Cockles now fully recovered from whatever she had. If only there was some sort of test available...

Cheers TC, mrs m was brighter but had a rough night and is back in bed. The 'down' periods are shortening tho so she reckons she is thru the worst of it.

Just now, muleskinner said:

Cheers TC, mrs m was brighter but had a rough night and is back in bed. The 'down' periods are shortening tho so she reckons she is thru the worst of it.

Fingers crossed for you all 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarg Armani said:

Is that an official thing?

My in laws are in Spain, they were due home on Good Friday but, their ferry was cancelled.

we have currently abandoned our house and moved into theirs as its empty and its got a garden and stuff for the kids to run around in

32 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

I think that, unfortunately, it is a mistake to think that things will automatically change for the better once this crisis is over. I see this idea that the virus will somehow force neoliberals to see the error of their ways all over my social media but I don't think it will happen. I'm not being down on the idea of change though as I think that the aftermath of Corvid-19 will present a huge opportunity for change that will need an awful lot of work to bring into fruition but it certainly won't be a given. 

The opportunity presented itself in 2008 as well and we watched that pitch sail by. 

Anyway, positive stuff. Get outside and get as much fresh air as possible. Weather is nice this week, enjoy it while it isn't raining.

3 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

Agree with all of this. There are a few rays of light coming through the labour ranks thanks to Corbyn, Pidcock and Sultana, who you think would be able to get Labour on a war footing in a few years time. The problem though, is that the party is still looking like lurching right instead of staying on track, which will potentially end up culling another generation of talent from the party.

11 minutes ago, Stevie H said:

The opportunity presented itself in 2008 as well and we watched that pitch sail by. 

Yeah, this is it. I remember after 911 there was lots of talk about how the real heroes were the firemen and that civic duty would once again be put at the forefront of US life. This basically lasted a few weeks before the political establishment simply doubles down on them.