Tosh

Coronavirus

40 minutes ago, Gethin said:

80% of their net earnings averaged over 3 years - or £2917 per month, whichever is lower apparently

The only problem with this is the trades I know (which probably account for a high percentage of self employed) are fairly selective about how much income they declare! Get paid in cash a lot.

17 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

The only problem with this is the trades I know (which probably account for a high percentage of self employed) are fairly selective about how much income they declare! Get paid in cash a lot.

Boohoohoo

18 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

They should pay their taxes like the rest of us then. And this wouldn't be a problem 

1 hour ago, Gethin said:

80% of their net earnings averaged over 3 years - or £2917 per month, whichever is lower apparently

Wasn't that a Lib Dem ammendment rather than government plan? 

Sunak just said he won't commit to a date when they'll have something ready.

It's complicated because apparently there are millions of self-employed who won't have been impacted and some whose income might have gone up. And basing it on tax returns a year and half out of date isn't fair.

Where do you wanna start with that...?

9 minutes ago, Sion said:

They should pay their taxes like the rest of us then. And this wouldn't be a problem 

Clearly true - will be biting them in the a*** now; many self employed people deal in cash, so those that paid their way will be the ones who get the support.

34 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

This is more like it

Friend of ours who works for NHS got a bunch of flowers when they went shopping first thing yesterday.

They were really touched by the gesture

Something will have to be done about the tube situation. They are packed in like sardines so surely spreading of the virus is rife.

1 minute ago, Leo No.8 said:

Something will have to be done about the tube situation. They are packed in like sardines so surely spreading of the virus is rife.

Reducing the services mean the remaining trains are even more packed than usual 

This is what happens when lots of actually essential workers health workers retail workers cleaning staff etc can't afford to live close to work and have to ship themselves in on the daily.

It's still a crisis inherent in capitalism's structure

I see it's business as usual overt here,  there's a security alert happening! Thay shows the level these t*** work on, people are stuck at home,  great time to attack them. 

3 hours ago, JonnyBrad said:

That's only for HGVs

Just seen this before on the BBC:

Garages are allowed to remain open under the new restrictions. MOTs have been suspended for lorries, buses and trailers for up to three months, and MOT testing for cars, motorcycles and light vans is under review.

We've just had a call from the care home where my Alzheimer's-suffering m-i-l is currently (temporarily) residing whilst my wife is recuperating from an operation. Apparently there is a suspected outbreak in the care home so they want to us to collect her and get her out as soon as we can. That means we will immediately have to isolate the m-i-l in the house (how we social distance from her when her condition is so far advanced that she wanders uncontrollably and can't go to the toilet on her own etc. I've no idea, but it also means that me, my wfe and my daughter will also be in full isolation for the foreseeable... fun times ahead.

Edited by charlie clown

My dad got a text last night telling him to self-isolate for 12 weeks - pretty healthy but had a minor heart attack in October. Text says he can't go out of the house at all, presumably not even in to the sizeable garden, but can open a window.  So that's nice.

3 minutes ago, realtarragona said:

I’ve not heard of people not being allowed in their garden, that wouldn’t make any sense

Maybe they just know his dad really well.

33 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

We've just had a call from the carehome where my Alzheimer's-suffering m-i-l is currently (temporarily) residing whilst my wife is recuperating from an operation. Apparently there is a suspected outbreak in the care home so they want to us to collect here and get her out as soon as we can. that means we will immediately have to isolate the m-i-l in the house (how we social distance from here when her condition is so far advanced that she wanders uncontrollably and can't go the toilet on her own etc. I've no idea, but it also means that me, my wfe and my daughter will also be in full isolation for the foreseeable... fun times ahead.

Blimey, thats rough. Ive had the MiL with us for a week, chronic MS, she's with us for the forseeable too. I'm petrified of getting infected and her catching it so not gone out much at all for a week. Needs must though innit.

24 minutes ago, Gerry said:

Maybe they just know his dad really well.

hahahaha

yeah - unless his dad is sitting right by the fence & a neighbour doing likewise the other side, I can't see how being in your own private garden in a problem.

Unless his dad likes spitting over the fence...

2 hours ago, Owen1978 said:

So in essence they are only paying out 60%

No because you'll be getting your full personal allowance (circa £11500) before they tax you.

2 hours ago, Gethin said:

Cheers. Still doesn't make me feel any less bad about doing it - pride I know but aside from 6 months when I was 18 I've never taken a penny in benefits. I hoped to make it to pension age before doing so again

I've never taken a bean and that's because I've been extremely lucky but if that changed I'd have my hand out in a heartbeat, that's what it's for and you've paid into the system for years.

19 minutes ago, Murphman said:

I've never taken a bean and that's because I've been extremely lucky but if that changed I'd have my hand out in a heartbeat, that's what it's for and you've paid into the system for years.

Indeed. My daughter, being the virtuous type, was saying last night she wasn't going to apply for eth support immediately (she is self-employed) because there are others who will be more in need than she is. I told her that I'd not been paying my taxes for the best part of forty years so that my own kids would be left out of pocket. What we pay for is exactly this kind of thing, Not the feckin nuclear deterrent.

• Love 1

There are people starting Facebook threads praising Boris for how he’s getting us through this.