Tosh

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

I think these cultural style theories about Italy seem to be ignoring the fact that we may be facing the exact same figures in a couple of weeks. 

Tipping one’s bowler hat is much safer hopefully 

1 hour ago, Jarg Armani said:

My favourite Stasi fact is that by 88/89 there were so many informants going to rallies and protests to grass on their mates that it made it look like the resistance was twice as popular as it really was. 

Sounds like when one of the lads sidled up to the Occupy gathering in town and came away saying they’re all f***ing coppers with brand new rucksacks.

Edited by smithdown

My favourite Stasi fact is that by 88/89 there were so many informants going to rallies and protests to grass on their mates that it made it look like the resistance was twice as popular as it really was. 

How about your favourite Stasi film?

mine used to be The Lives Of Others but that’s because it was the only I had seen....although it was a great film tbf

then came the more recent one about the nice lady who lived near the lake - but I can’t remember the name 

anyone seen it? 

13 minutes ago, Molby said:

mine used to be The Lives Of Others but that’s because it was the only I had seen....although it was a great film tbf

then came the more recent one about the nice lady who lived near the lake - but I can’t remember the name 

anyone seen it? 

“Stasi Stacey does Schlachtensee“.

It’s a classic.

44 minutes ago, Molby said:

anyone seen it? 

The lives of others is good. Deutschland 1983 the series was quite good. A bit unbelievable at times. Goodbye Lenin is the other one.

2 hours ago, Florist Cinema Pond Goal said:

Big mood change at my hospital today, significant number of potential unwell COVID cases coming in and those that have been tested over the week are starting to come back positive. 

Impressed overall by the speed in things have changed in the NHS with quick installation of video conferencing for cancer based meetings, non essential investigations and clinics being cancelled, teams being redistributed. There’s a overlying suspicion however that given the numbers that are due to come in it is likely not going to be enough. 

Big few weeks ahead. 

Forgive my ignorance mate but your first paragraph....mood change for the better or worse?

People (right biased media) starting to call Sunak "the next PM". So watch Johnson sideline him next week, or throw him under a bus.

Just now, Cam said:

People (right biased media) starting to call Sunak "the next PM". So watch Johnson sideline him next week, or throw him under a bus.

He’s got that f***ing annoying Blair Cameron voice. I think that’s what they mean.

Colleagues wife is an ICU nurse, they are living separately currently due to their lads health. Staff at QMC here can't get enough PPE or face screens to carry out the proper protocols required but are having to carry on. 

2 hours ago, Florist Cinema Pond Goal said:

Big mood change at my hospital today, significant number of potential unwell COVID cases coming in and those that have been tested over the week are starting to come back positive. 

Impressed overall by the speed in things have changed in the NHS with quick installation of video conferencing for cancer based meetings, non essential investigations and clinics being cancelled, teams being redistributed. There’s a overlying suspicion however that given the numbers that are due to come in it is likely not going to be enough. 

Big few weeks ahead. 

I just hope enough of you guys stay well enough to cope with whats coming. We'll all be forever in your debt 

The lives of others is good. Deutschland 1983 the series was quite good. A bit unbelievable at times. Goodbye Lenin is the other one.

Yeah that’s it, ta

just about hung in there with 1983

couldnt do 1986 

57 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

He’s got that f***ing annoying Blair Cameron voice. I think that’s what they mean.

I'll get pelters for this but at this point I'd take either Blair or Cameron than f***ing Johnson the useless, floppy haired c***.

Edited by mofus77

Just now, mofus77 said:

I'll get pelters for this but I'd take either Blair or Cameron than f***ing Johnson the useless, floppy haired c***.

They’re all crap. I’ve lost faith in ever getting results from parliamentary politics. 

I appreciate people are in worse circumstances so don’t like to ask but am I right in thinking that If I’m a self employed contractor and my wife has a zero hours contract, all we’ll be entitled to is universal credit or SSP? 

8 minutes ago, realtarragona said:

I appreciate people are in worse circumstances so don’t like to ask but am I right in thinking that If I’m a self employed contractor and my wife has a zero hours contract, all we’ll be entitled to is universal credit or SSP? 

Looks like it so far, along with UC.

It might be possible that if your wife was working as of the end of February, she might qualify for 80% of her expected earnings? I'd ring Citizen's Advice on Monday.

Anonymous data mapping phone users’ locations provided by Vodafone and TIM – two leading phone service providers in Italy – revealed that around 40 per cent of residents in the northern Lombardy region were still moving beyond the proximity of their homes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italy-coronavirus-death-toll-lockdown-uk-self-isolation-social-distancing-a9414581.html

This article about projections of where the US will be over the next few months is staggering. Without restrictions there'll be half a million new cases per day at the peak around mid to late May. Even with restrictions like those in Ireland or now in the UK they'll have over a quarter of a million a day.

Edited by Maldini

it's mad that - the US isn't that populous when you look at people per square mile (or km). Yes NYC = London & there are a lot of big cities, but there's also a lot of nothing.

What's it going to be like in the UK then, since it seems a little more together over here - mainly because governors of states are calling their own shots

It’s getting very, very weird around here. Nothing open. Lots of news about more and more people dying. Parking lots totally empty. Tons more people walking about. The air even seems cleaner.

On 19/03/2020 at 00:33, Case said:

So by ‘football’ field do you mean ‘our’ football or ‘their’ football?

Come on, Zoob. Details matter.

Haha! actually a real football field (our football). But there won't be any football for a while, so all is good... Was actually randomly featured briefly on Rachel Maddow last night... 

52 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

What's it going to be like in the UK then, since it seems a little more together over here - mainly because governors of states are calling their own shots

Think it's going to be much worse in the UK than over here because here, we started lock downs, and closing bars / restaurants well before they started doing that in the UK. Really dumb, because every day of delay will cause more infections, deaths and hospitals being put under more stress than they should be. 

44 minutes ago, New York Red said:

It’s getting very, very weird around here. Nothing open. Lots of news about more and more people dying. Parking lots totally empty. Tons more people walking about. The air even seems cleaner.

The air is actually cleaner - CO2 and Carbon Monoxide emissions are down significantly... 

Cool to see pics of the canals of Venice looking clear, with fish and even dolphins swimming around. 

1 hour ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

it's mad that - the US isn't that populous when you look at people per square mile (or km). Yes NYC = London & there are a lot of big cities, but there's also a lot of nothing.

I think Cuomo is doing a decent job for NY so far. It’s still a f*cking horror show though.

Edited by New York Red

3 hours ago, New York Red said:

To coin a phrase, keep watching the skies. It is really weird looking up and seeing no aeroplanes in the air. Reminder of a different time. 

China's greenhouse gas emissions fell 50% a few weeks back because nobody was flying, driving, or going to work in factories. 

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Forgive my ignorance mate but your first paragraph....mood change for the better or worse?

I think the people in denial realised this is a real thing that is going to be tough. We have the capacity to deal with it right now, the worry is in a couple weeks time 

8 hours ago, Cam said:

With them ears?