Tosh

Coronavirus

14 minutes ago, BoboS said:

Could I ask for forum advice please? My Corona story is that my Dad was living in a care home, 73 but with several serious conditions and a history of unhealthy living. He was really ill over xmas but had recovered and doing pretty well when I saw him (from a safe distance and after over a week of not going anywhere beyond taking the dog out) last Thursday to try and explain what was happening with likely impending closure to visitors etc (a policy which came in on the weekend). 

He got a cough on Saturday but has existing COPD and given that the symptoms weren't too bad. But getting more breathless he was visited by his GP yesterday who suspected COVID, but was not able to order a test. But there was no urgency about his situation at 6pm. Even with 50 other vulnerable people in a building where self-isolation is impossible, plus staff, the official care home guidance from Public Health England was, as of yesterday evening: a) the policy is no testing in care homes but this may be reviewed and b) the home should avoid hospitalising ANYONE for the time being given current circumstances but 'do their best'. I then get a call at 3am to say he's died of respiratory failure and nobody's done anything, and they want to kick off the normal process without any recognition of an infectious disease being involved, risks of handling body etc. No further isolation measures for anyone.

My main concern is genuinely to try and get a test done even post-mortem as 50 other families have (in some cases much healthier) loved ones in there and they are completely unaware. The manager has no idea what to do and is tearing her hair out at the unclear and changing guidance. His GP was also shocked at the position she was put in and thought it indefensible. She's today gone into isolation and I will continue to do so, but the home staff obviously are not. I'm trying to argue for a test now to clarify things but am just being directed to 111 with its massive wait, cut-off phone message if you press the testing option and anyway i don't want to block people who need immediate actual help. But it doesn't feel like something I should let lie,  if this is happening all over the country then it's the exact opposite of cocooning the vulnerable, it's closing the doors and leaving staff to deal with it without a shred of support. I'm obviously not thinking very straight this morning but don't really know what I can do!

Oh, mate. I'm so sorry for your loss.

14 minutes ago, BoboS said:

Could I ask for forum advice please? My Corona story is that my Dad was living in a care home, 73 but with several serious conditions and a history of unhealthy living. He was really ill over xmas but had recovered and doing pretty well when I saw him (from a safe distance and after over a week of not going anywhere beyond taking the dog out) last Thursday to try and explain what was happening with likely impending closure to visitors etc (a policy which came in on the weekend). 

He got a cough on Saturday but has existing COPD and given that the symptoms weren't too bad. But getting more breathless he was visited by his GP yesterday who suspected COVID, but was not able to order a test. But there was no urgency about his situation at 6pm. Even with 50 other vulnerable people in a building where self-isolation is impossible, plus staff, the official care home guidance from Public Health England was, as of yesterday evening: a) the policy is no testing in care homes but this may be reviewed and b) the home should avoid hospitalising ANYONE for the time being given current circumstances but 'do their best'. I then get a call at 3am to say he's died of respiratory failure and nobody's done anything, and they want to kick off the normal process without any recognition of an infectious disease being involved, risks of handling body etc. No further isolation measures for anyone.

My main concern is genuinely to try and get a test done even post-mortem as 50 other families have (in some cases much healthier) loved ones in there and they are completely unaware. The manager has no idea what to do and is tearing her hair out at the unclear and changing guidance. His GP was also shocked at the position she was put in and thought it indefensible. She's today gone into isolation and I will continue to do so, but the home staff obviously are not. I'm trying to argue for a test now to clarify things but am just being directed to 111 with its massive wait, cut-off phone message if you press the testing option and anyway i don't want to block people who need immediate actual help. But it doesn't feel like something I should let lie,  if this is happening all over the country then it's the exact opposite of cocooning the vulnerable, it's closing the doors and leaving staff to deal with it without a shred of support. I'm obviously not thinking very straight this morning but don't really know what I can do!

Sorry to hear that mate its awful

15 minutes ago, BoboS said:

So sorry mate.

Bobos, that's awful
Sorry for your loss and I wish I knew what to suggest but I think most of us are in the dark

19 minutes ago, BoboS said:

Could I ask for forum advice please?

Really sorry for your loss.  

Part of the problem is the complete communication shutdown.  Did you mean your GP has gone into isolation?  They only thing I can think of is to speak to the GP practice somehow. Really difficult.

25 minutes ago, BoboS said:

I’m so very sorry mate

i can’t think of anything you can do in this phase other than to hit other forms of social media as hard as poss in this current phase of your life ( many people who have lost loved ones will feel a kind of manic phase before a slump)

people in positions of authority like the GP and the manager obv agree with your assessment but they can’t do that much either atm

if you group together in presenting this story it will have more credibility and traction - which is important because there will be a corresponding exercise going on, in saying there was no other possible way this could have been handled, and that will need to be challenged 

notwithstanding the here and now of course: many other residents in the same care home need to be thought about in the light of this 

Edited by Molby

20 minutes ago, BoboS said:

So sorry to hear that. 

My first instinct to your question is to make some noise locally, with local press or something. I agree that the handling here sounds very poor. Maybe this advice is wrong, as also don't want to cause panic amongst others.

Really sorry bud 

@BoboS I just wanted to point out that reporting this and dealing with external agencies is not your responsibility, you just need to look after yourself and your family.

9 hours ago, Stevie H said:

The piece today about Russia conducting an online disinformation campaign at the EU just makes you question everything. There's an actual global pandemic, people are dying and Putin just doesn't give an inch. Such dedication. 

Wouldn't surprise me if this was all Russia

13 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

@BoboS I just wanted to point out that reporting this and dealing with external agencies is not your responsibility, you just need to look after yourself and your family.

Totes agree

that’s good advice objectively

but there’s also an inevitable process, and you see it all the time when people are bereaved in circumstances where ‘something has gone wrong’ - where those left behind want the death to lead to better outcomes for others that are in danger of being affected

you can psychoanalyse the f*** out of this but you can also say “do what you feel you need to do but don’t run yourself in to the ground and most important, get other people to help you stay well mentally.....just by listening and talking to you and reassuring you,”

as Cym has

Edited by Molby

BoboS - that sounds terrible, really sorry to hear of your dad's passing and it's shocking that it was so rapid.

As far as your question is concerned, I've no idea what the answer is but I'd suggest that you look after you and yours first and foremost and maybe look to see if there is a victims' family's support group (I'm sure they will start to spring up now) through which you can voice your concerns, because I'm sure it would be more effective coming from a body of people working together rather than from a lone voice in the wilderness. 

11 hours ago, stressederic said:

1 hour ago, BoboS said:

Oh, BoboS mate that's terrible news, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Edit: apologies for some reason I can't delete the post of Eric's that I was previously quoting despite trying to by editing.

Edited by Tommok

My wife's clients are cancelling left and right so we've gone down the mortgage holiday route, obviously still privileged but it's another weight off.

Rumours abound down here (north London) that Prince Phillip has died. News to be released tomorrow, but we've been here before.......

1 hour ago, BoboS said:

Really sorry BoboS. May your father RIP.  

I completely understand your fears regarding wider spread within that care home.

My suggestion would be that you firstly ask the care home manager to inform the other people staying there and to also inform their main points of contact. Point out that a measured communication is a more effective way to manage this as rumours will be spreading rapidly anyway and she will need to get a handle on this or she'll be swamped with worried people in the home and their families.

That communication should outline details the care home is taking to isolate those who were in direct contact with your father, what steps they will take if someone shows ANY of the symptoms and what options are available to those who may wish to take additional action (eg. removing their family members from the home).  

Ask her to do this and if she's not willing to do that, then I think it would be fair to take this public.  

However as others have said in this thread, first and foremost look after yourself and your family.  Thoughts are with you at this terrible time. 

@BoboS That's terrible news. So sorry for your loss.

Just on the rumours of lockdowns/army etc we are about a week ahead of the UK over here in terms of school closures, social distancing etc and the amount of similar rumours that were going around whatsapp groups and social media last week in Ireland are almost identical to what's happening in the UK now and none of them turned out to be true.

Ignore the sister/brother/cousin/best friends auntie messages on whatsapp and take your information from the official health and (yes unfortunately) government channels. 

I was speaking to a mate in the Met Police yesterday and he felt it was inevitable there will be increased restrictions in the next few days but it's not going to be anything as draconian as a curfew or a total lockdown.

There's conversations and preparations going on within police circles regarding more restrictions apparently, as I guess you'd expect there to be.

Edited by Tommok

Michel Barnier of the EU has tested positive.

Re further restrictions....

The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, gave a strong hint that the capital may see tougher measures because it highest level of cases in the UK, and said that Londoners should cease all but essential travel.  Giving evidence before the London assembly on Thursday morning, Khan said:  This means that further measures will need to be introduced at the point at which they’ll have the biggest effect. And I can assure Londoners that this is under constant review by the experts.  He said those in London must follow the advice and cease all but essential travel:  I want to see more Londoners following the expert advice.  So big was the crisis, Khan said, that London and the country will be living with its effects for years.  He confirmed transport services would be reduced, with some underground stations closed.  Khan said he would be meeting prime minister later on Thursday Boris Johnson and senior officials amid continued speculation about new measures.  Khan said:  Nobody should be traveling, whatever their mode of travel, unless you are an essential worker.

Edited by Tommok