By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coronavirus

Tosh

I woke up with a temperature, bad cough and wheezy chest this morning, knocked me for six kept going short of breath. Ended up getting through to 111 after following the website advice and then holding in the queue for 3 hours...they say i need testing, i need to self isolate and await a callback within 24-48 hours to tell me where i need to go for a swab.

Still getting shortness of breath now, feels like i need to cough mucus up but nothing is shifting and i have a wheezy chest and sore throat with a really dry barky cough, don't feel like i'm about to keel over or that but i defo am not well. Hoping i just have a cold or chest infection but it's a hell of a time to be getting one.

Bit worrying all of this isn't it, they really should be locking everything down and closing schools and colleges and everything. They said all family who live with me should just carry on going about their daily business until i have been tested.....

45 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Giro d'Italia is off

That's normally early May

Masters at Augusta also postponed

Wife has colleagues in Beijing/Shanghai who've been stuck indoors since Chinese New Year

we look after Tommy Fleetwood's dog when they're away and they pay us,  so we are victims here

also I like Zak, with his busy bouncing-up-and-down ways

Mickle... thoughts and prayers ;)

your symptoms and speed of illness suggest that 111 are right. I’d say isolate yourself from everyone, inc your family. Though if it is C-19, it seems you have been contagious for a few days. 

7 minutes ago, Mickle said:

I woke up with a temperature, bad cough and wheezy chest this morning, knocked me for six kept going short of breath. Ended up getting through to 111 after following the website advice and then holding in the queue for 3 hours...they say i need testing, i need to self isolate and await a callback within 24-48 hours to tell me where i need to go for a swab.

Still getting shortness of breath now, feels like i need to cough mucus up but nothing is shifting and i have a wheezy chest and sore throat with a really dry barky cough, don't feel like i'm about to keel over or that but i defo am not well. Hoping i just have a cold or chest infection but it's a hell of a time to be getting one.

Bit worrying all of this isn't it, they really should be locking everything down and closing schools and colleges and everything. They said all family who live with me should just carry on going about their daily business until i have been tested.....

Sounds s*** mate, get well soon.

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Mickle... thoughts and prayers ;)

your symptoms and speed of illness suggest that 111 are right. I’d say isolate yourself from everyone, inc your family. Though if it is C-19, it seems you have been contagious for a few days. 

1 minute ago, psl said:

Sounds s*** mate, get well soon.

Cheers, am reserving judgement trying not to stress out, just wish it was all a bit quicker to get tested, easy to get anxious waiting round for a phone call not knowing, 24-48 hours for a callback is really vague. 

12 minutes ago, Mickle said:

you'll be sound mate...fit and healthy young man

the bit in bold sounds a bit weird though

16 minutes ago, Mickle said:

I'm starting to cough today. My wife is starting to freak!

Is this thing something that makes you feel rotten immediately, does anyone know? Can you just have a bit of a cough or a few aches and pains and actually have it? 

3 minutes ago, Molby said:

you'll be sound mate...fit and healthy young man

the bit in bold sounds a bit weird though

I know mate i did question them on it, and they said yes until we have tested you they need to carry on as normal and you need to self isolate.

1 minute ago, Swipe said:

Is this thing something that makes you feel rotten immediately, does anyone know? Can you just have a bit of a cough or a few aches and pains and actually have it? 

I had a bit of a dry cough yesterday, woke up this morning really bad cough, temp and wheezy chest....could just be a chest infection or something though, won't know until tested.

Thinking the symptoms vary so much in  people it's hard to tell, which is probably one of the reasons it is spreading so quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Its probably what you want to hear but I think that you can have it and just have a cough and a few aches.  But equally that obviously could be loads of things.

Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow.

Just read on the BBC they are expecting this to peak in the UK in 3 months. 3 months of this getting worse is a hideous prospect.

Regarding the Press Conference yesterday, the medical expert said that they were expecting 80% of the population to contract the virus so that's 80% x 66,000,000 which is 52,800,000 and then he also said a mortality rate of 1%  So in the next few months they're expecting over half a million people to die!!

Lucky we're in good hands then...

Just now, psl said:

Its probably what you want to hear but I think that you can have it and just have a cough and a few aches.  But equally that obviously could be loads of things.

Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow.

Just read on the BBC they are expecting this to peak in the UK in 3 months. 3 months of this getting worse is a hideous prospect.

Don't think I do!

Yeah had a couple of beers last night hopefully just that.

In the middle of a BBC article I found this...”Prof Cristopher Whitty has said the peak of the outbreak is 10-14 weeks away”

Tell that to those in Wuhan...

A councillor in an English village where one of the first UK cases of coronavirus was confirmed has described the government’s strategy of tackling the disease as “a crime against humanity.”

Samantha Flower, who is a member of Boris Johnson’s ruling Conservative Party and also a social care manager for Sheffield City Council, said: “I’m very concerned. They [the UK government] are saying they want as many people to get this disease to create a herd immunisation. But it won’t. My suspicion is that they don’t have the money for social care or NHS so that the weak and the old die.

“I’m saying that as a Conservative councillor and I don’t care if I get sacked. You judge a society by how they treat their vulnerable people. You judge leadership by how it treats its most vulnerable people. 

“How do we care for them – by saying it would be better for pretty much everyone to get this disease when we know that our loved ones are going to die? It’s not okay.”

Flowers is a Conservative councillor on High Peak Borough Council and represents the Derbyshire village of Burbage, where one of the first known UK cases of Coronavirus was confirmed. Burbage primary school and a nearby medical centre were temporarily closed after a parent tested positive for the virus on 27 February, when just 15 cases had been confirmed in the UK.

She added: “We could follow the World Health Organisation’s advice and stop this now but the government’s chosen not to. Our prime minister has just said to us ‘your loved ones are going to die’ and that’s not okay. It’s abhorrent. It’s a crime against our country. We have the measures and capabilities to prevent this.

“I’m not trying to be an alarmist but the World Health Organisation has set very comprehensive guidance and we’re not following it.”

Edited by Tosh

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Regarding the Press Conference yesterday, the medical expert said that they were expecting 80% of the population to contract the virus so that's 80% x 66,000,000 which is 52,800,000 and then he also said a mortality rate of 1%  So in the next few months they're expecting over half a million people to die!!

They also expected 65k to die of swine flu but it was 350

9 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

They said that was a worst case scenario, not what they are expecting.  Not that this is much better.

9 minutes ago, Tosh said:

In the middle of a BBC article I found this...”Prof Cristopher Whitty has said the peak of the outbreak is 10-14 weeks away”

Tell that to those in Wuhan...

A councillor in an English village where one of the first UK cases of coronavirus was confirmed has described the government’s strategy of tackling the disease as “a crime against humanity.”

Samantha Flower, who is a member of Boris Johnson’s ruling Conservative Party and also a social care manager for Sheffield City Council, said: “I’m very concerned. They [the UK government] are saying they want as many people to get this disease to create a herd immunisation. But it won’t. My suspicion is that they don’t have the money for social care or NHS so that the weak and the old die.

“I’m saying that as a Conservative councillor and I don’t care if I get sacked. You judge a society by how they treat their vulnerable people. You judge leadership by how it treats its most vulnerable people. 

“How do we care for them – by saying it would be better for pretty much everyone to get this disease when we know that our loved ones are going to die? It’s not okay.”

Flowers is a Conservative councillor on High Peak Borough Council and represents the Derbyshire village of Burbage, where one of the first known UK cases of Coronavirus was confirmed. Burbage primary school and a nearby medical centre were temporarily closed after a parent tested positive for the virus on 27 February, when just 15 cases had been confirmed in the UK.

She added: “We could follow the World Health Organisation’s advice and stop this now but the government’s chosen not to. Our prime minister has just said to us ‘your loved ones are going to die’ and that’s not okay. It’s abhorrent. It’s a crime against our country. We have the measures and capabilities to prevent this.

“I’m not trying to be an alarmist but the World Health Organisation has set very comprehensive guidance and we’re not following it.”

WHO DG doesn't seem happy with some countries response

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-mission-briefing-on-covid-19---12-march-2020

4 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

They also expected 65k to die of swine flu but it was 350

474 according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_by_country

But not sure about those UK stats - those US stats for example are wildly off due to underreporting and issues with tests etc at the time...CDC's own website has the count much higher:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

From here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

16 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Yep - I know her

Peter Drobac, a doctor in global health and infectious disease at Oxford University, says the “the UK is really out on a limb”.

Speaking to the BBC he added:

They waited too long to respond, and we really have to question the wisdom of the idea that we can time social distancing interventions just right to blunt the peak. They are taking an approach which puts them alone in the world. And I think it’s a gamble.