Jump to content

Welcome Takumi Minamino


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tommok said:

Minamino still looks a bit overwhelmed and perhaps trying too hard, combined with a lack of physical strength and being brushed off the ball too easily it doesn't look great.

He seemed much more confident and assured when he played against us.

Hopefully he will settle down but I wonder if the PL might be a bit too physical for him.

Phil has a point about when and with whom Minamino has played

Put him with Mané and Salah and there's less responsibility to score goals / influence the game

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Serial competition winner

what's his best position though if he is to make it here. On his game Bobby can play number 9 as an actual 9 or a false 9. Don't think Minamino can be an actual number 9. He's also not the most attack

Last night for him appeared to be so much one of those mares that you can more easily write it off, especially as it was in the context of a disjointed team performance. We know - from those game

Just had a look and he's played 393 minutes in the league and Europe, 57 of them, he came on for Mane at Wolves away when I guess there was precisely no plan for him to get that many. He's had two longer spells, Newcastle away on the last day and last night. Played with Origi both times. If you drill down it's actually a bit ridiculous how little he's played. Not integrating him more after lockdown looks bizarre on reflection. 

Of his 17 games, 8 of them have seen him come in the last 10 minutes of a match. And one of the 9 he came on on 79. 

Surely we need to use these players a bit better than this. 

Edited by Hightown Phil
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Just had a look and he's played 393 minutes in the league and Europe, 57 of them, he came on for Mane at Wolves away when I guess there was precisely no plan for him to get that many. He's had two longer spells, Newcastle away on the last day and last night. Played with Origi both times. If you drill down it's actually a bit ridiculous how little he's played. Not integrating him more after lockdown looks bizarre on reflection. 

Of his 17 games, 8 of them have seen him come in the last 10 minutes of a match. And one of the 9 he came on on 79. 

Surely we need to use these players a bit better than this. 

That suggests Klopp doesn't think he's good enough to play more. He's happy to use Jota. 

With Firmino's form being patchy since just after Minamino joined I think Klopp would've played him more if he thought he's ready.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Just had a look and he's played 393 minutes in the league and Europe, 57 of them, he came on for Mane at Wolves away when I guess there was precisely no plan for him to get that many. He's had two longer spells, Newcastle away on the last day and last night. Played with Origi both times. If you drill down it's actually a bit ridiculous how little he's played. Not integrating him more after lockdown looks bizarre on reflection. 

Of his 17 games, 8 of them have seen him come in the last 10 minutes of a match. And one of the 9 he came on on 79. 

Surely we need to use these players a bit better than this. 

This is fair.

23 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

That suggests Klopp doesn't think he's good enough to play more. He's happy to use Jota. 

With Firmino's form being patchy since just after Minamino joined I think Klopp would've played him more if he thought he's ready.

But so is this.

Conundrum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tommy Cockles said:

 

If he had just a pipette of Suarez juice in him he would be unplayable.

 

 

I think he's unplayable already. A different kind of unplayable to the kind you're referring to though. 

 

(Origi this is) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ball just doesn’t stick with him (Minamino) whatsoever. Goes to him and he loses it. Really want him to succeed but not seeing any evidence he will.

I take HP’s point about him not getting a chance/ enough minutes as part of a proper frontline, but honestly, if we’re leaving members of the front line out I’d have Minamino as the last option - possibly even behind Shaqiri. Jota has it, Origi has a knack of at least scoring, Shaqiri can do a bit of a job out wide.

Really don’t know what Minamino brings and I’ve been really wanting to see any sort glimmer at all that I can latch on to. 

Edited by jimmylibel
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jimmylibel said:

The ball just doesn’t stick with him (Minamino) whatsoever. Goes to him and he loses it. Really want him to succeed but not seeing any evidence he will.

I take HP’s point about him not getting a chance/ enough minutes as part of a proper frontline, but honestly, if we’re leaving members of the front line out I’d have Minamino as the last option - possibly even behind Shaqiri. Jota has it, Origi has a knack of at least scoring, Shaqiri can do a bit of a job out wide.

Really don’t know what Minamino brings and I’ve been really wanting to see any sort glimmer at all that I can latch on to. 

Yeah that's pretty much where I am with him at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, McBain said:

While he was absolutely rubbish on Tues, it does feel like you're all saying that's how he always plays 

He was crap but he's not always that bad and there is a player in there

Agree. Previous games the ball has stuck well with him and he's been good with back to goal on the half turn etc. He's just too inconsistent at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't have high expectations, but I thought he'd at least make me less sad about having Origi and Shaqiri first off the bench. 

He's done little to suggest he should get games ahead of either. Let alone Jota. 

Shaqiri is basically the minimum benchmark for what we need from a backup attacker. And I don't see Minamino meeting that. 

Keita at least is a decent squaddie while we wait for him to prove he can be a good first team regular, which is why, with age on his side, I reckon Klopp will stick with him. 

37 minutes ago, McBain said:

While he was absolutely rubbish on Tues, it does feel like you're all saying that's how he always plays 

He was crap but he's not always that bad and there is a player in there

I think what I am waiting for is to see the player in there. His top level has been 'ok' so far. If he'd shown glimpses of something really promising, then ok. Glimpses of 'ok' though.... 

I am not saying he should be chucked in January. But it might be prudent to consider other options for the summer. 

I just want him to do have a similar impact to Shaqiri. That's really not asking very much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hightown Phil said:

He was really good in the Charity Shield I thought. 

He did well.

Got himslef into the box and made a nuisance of himself.

I still didn't think he was great on the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's getting noticably frustrated at himself in games and he made that comment at the end of last season about not contributing enough. Maybe he just needs to relax a bit and cut himself some slack. He's moved overseas to a foreign culture and not had the best time to adapt to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaulMcC186 said:

It seem like he can't do anything with his back to goal, and is weak. Firmino is really good with his back to goal most of the time, and he's normally very strong when up against defenders.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He can't play with his back to the goal. 

He suits counter attack, chasing after balls played through etc. Maybe he's better deeper starting the attacks, but he's far to weak to put in midfield. 

The ball is like a hot potatoe with him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hightown Phil said:

He was really good in the Charity Shield I thought. 

 

12 hours ago, philmatthews said:

He's getting noticably frustrated at himself in games and he made that comment at the end of last season about not contributing enough. Maybe he just needs to relax a bit and cut himself some slack. He's moved overseas to a foreign culture and not had the best time to adapt to it.

Agree with these things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, philmatthews said:

He's getting noticably frustrated at himself in games and he made that comment at the end of last season about not contributing enough. Maybe he just needs to relax a bit and cut himself some slack. He's moved overseas to a foreign culture and not had the best time to adapt to it.

Look! Football is an international language yeah. You can either speak it or you can’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...