Sign in to follow this  
downunder

Making Sourdough

Yeah today's was just under 15 mins. I think (in my limited experience) you get to a point where it just feels right and I guess that will depend on loads of things; how much effort you're putting in, how good your starter was, temperature etc.

10 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

15 mins seems to do the trick. I could probably do more but, knackered you know.

I get bored, as well  as knackered. So 15mins appeals.

I did have one bad batch recently, the oven was cooling down and I put the dough in there to prove, but it was obviously still too warm. I won’t do that again. 

14 minutes ago, downunder said:

My sourdough is now going really well, I eat too much and it’s stopped me experimenting on many other breads, there is only so much three people can eat.

I find I have to knead  for about 20mins though. How long are others kneading for?

I don't knead at all.  Just use folding with a long fermentation, mostly in the fridge.

Mix and autolyse, three spaced foldings, pre-shape then shape, into the banneton and in the fridge overnight.  Bake next day.

In my search for the cause of the failing of my bread rise one tip I read was knead for 10 seconds every 10 minutes for half an hour. Ie 3 kneads.

Blew my mind

Edited by D.Boon

Today's effort proved up really well but I can't have floured the basket enough so it stuck as I was turning it out onto the tray. Going to look a bit messier than the first one

52 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

In my search for the cause of the failing of my bread rise one tip I read was knead for 10 seconds every 10 minutes for half an hour. Ie 3 kneads.

Blew my mind

I’m interested in these no knead / not knead much techniques, haven’t tried it myself as I enjoy the kneading part. Let me know how it goes. The pizza dough on that video is no knead actually and that is fab.

Tonight's came out OK - but it sticking to the proving basket I think caused it to not rise as much. Also went from almost perfect circles on the first one to something that looks like an Ordnance Survey map  :)

3 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

I’m interested in these no knead / not knead much techniques, haven’t tried it myself as I enjoy the kneading part. Let me know how it goes. The pizza dough on that video is no knead actually and that is fab.

I need the knead. I want no part of this.

Hodmedods have got some Wakelyns YQ flour. My in-laws used to live nearby and when I did make bread I used this stuff (picked up at the farm). 

It’s amazing for bread (I had a machine) and I imagine would make a brill sourdough

https://hodmedods.co.uk/collections/flours/cereal-flour

a bit more on Wakelyns... https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/oct/10/flour-power-meet-the-bread-heads-baking-a-better-loaf

Pyrex dish is just as good as a basket ;)

Annie way, I’ve bought a granite chopping board from the home and bargains, who reckons it will be sound as a pizza stone? 

10 hours ago, Redwire said:

I've used a granite chopping board as a pizza / bread stone for years with no problems.  Just remember to remove the feet first.

Thanks mate, removed the glue residue with some nail varnish remover.

Worked very well as a pizza stone, didn’t explode and take the street with it anyway.

So done 3 loaves now and as you saw from the pics the first one turned out really well. The second two have both "pancaked" slightly  when turning them out of the bread basket onto the baking tray. Not disastrous but they've just baked as a shallower loaf than the forst one - getting to about 8cm in the middle whereas I got 10-12 cm out of the first one.

My kneading is pretty consistent so I'm guessing it might be something to do with my starter being a bit weaker?

On 19/05/2020 at 19:49, Jarg Armani said:

I love the overnight dutch oven recipe because there's no kneading involved. Got given a bit of sourdough starter by a neighbour last week and basically just substituted it in for the yeast (and adjusted down the amount of water) and it turned out great. Only other tweak was I left it to prove in the fridge so it didn't rise too much overnight 

Just made the first pizza ones, a bit of a disaster, I couldn’t move the pizzas onto the pizza stone. 
so in the end I made them on a baking tray and put them in the oven.

1 hour ago, downunder said:

Just made the first pizza ones, a bit of a disaster, I couldn’t move the pizzas onto the pizza stone. 
so in the end I made them on a baking tray and put them in the oven.

After 2 really successful batches this same thing happened to me on Friday. Kept getting stuck no matter what I did with the semolina. Annoying. Still baked nicely once I’d finished shouting at each one in turn.

Just had a go at some whole wheat flour loaves. Seemed like they needed a bit more of a knead than white bread flour. Anyone else found that?

Whole wheat doesn't seem to rise as much as white. Clever sorts would probably alter the amount of water or something.