Sign in to follow this  
Des

Election 2019

Reminder of polling on the last day of the 2017 GE campaigning :

"Election poll latest: Theresa May will win biggest Tory landslide since Thatcher, final survey predicts"

https://www.independent.co.uk/News/uk/politics/election-poll-latest-tory-win-results-corbyn-theresa-may-a7777781.html?fbclid=IwAR39CWi-lJhlHl0HXddNyoIdFGX8oTPsZejcNWBI1zAq-ARrm7YCk0vIvsk

Theresa May looks on course for a definitive victory over Jeremy Corbyn in the general election, as the final poll for The Independent shows her party enjoying a 10-point lead over Labour.

If the figures in the ComRes poll are replicated on Thursday, projections indicate a concrete 74-seat majority – the largest the Conservatives have secured since the days of Margaret Thatcher. 

Just voted before work

Wasn't exactly full. Infact the lady behind the desk almost looked shocked to see me

Let's hope for an Istanbul style miracle here

The polling station near me was absolutely ram packed. Hopefully a good sign.

Yeah mine was busier than any of the 2 previous elections and the referendum since I moved here, for what it's worth. Very safe Labour seat, though.

The bookies got the referendum wrong, but they've got the Tories at very short odds. I'm not getting my hopes up

So you say you're in close proximity to these people and you are holding a golf club in your hands?

It's dire Steve, I reared up actually and it started to get a bit messy so we both shut up. He's a c*nt but truly doesn't see it.

Dreading that old, familiar Friday morning feeling when you get up and see the number of tory seats on the news, confirming the size of their majority .  You’ve gone to bed late seeing all the exit polls but the main bulk of results are not yet so there is a modicum of hope.  Then the reality sets in.  Sickening.

I live in the safest Tory seat in the UK. On the bright side, if Johnson gets on the end of a bad result my gloatometer will probably get me in trouble at the local golf club. Some of the conversations I've had there are truly astonishing including 'there is no such thing as poverty in this country', it's all spin (This from the former CEO of a major financial institution.

The stakes couldn't be higher, truly. Another 5 years of this lot and this country will be lost forever.

I hear this kind of s*** all the time in finance. ‘It’s not real poverty.’ Along with ‘they can all afford fags and tattoos’.

They aren’t stupid people either, that particular classic came from an extremely bright Oxford grad. He’s a really clever bloke and despite appearances to the contrary, he’s not a nasty piece of work either.

It’s got to be the f***ing newspapers they read, sociopolitical brainwashing of a sort. The more I look back on my time at university the more I think it was no wonder I felt different. I’d not had the same indoctrination.

Anyway, fingers crossed we f***ing smash them today and we can get the UK off this hellish path we’ve been on since 1979. I want to hear the billionaire media owners screams from here.

Betting market moving against a Tory majority a fair bit. 1.41 out to 1.54.

Had a letting agent in my house before. Her job is under threat if labour get in because of course no one will need to rent a house in London in that instance.

@AnnPettifor

Am in a deeply Conservative area.. the officer at the polling station told me they’ve been busy .. “very busy...lots of young people”...Get out and vote... I am voting Labour - for a Green New Deal.

Dr Moderate Replying to @AnnPettifor

I'm hearing the same story from friends around the country. These were the first real signs we had on polling day in GE17 that something unexpected was happening.

Why? He wasn't being a massive f***in s***house was he?

From the Guardian:

Boris Johnson has broken from tradition by not voting in his own constituency, PA points out.

He was photographed with his dog at polling station in Methodist Central Hall, in the marginal constituency of Cities of London and Westminster where the Conservative are defending a narrow majority of 3,148.

The party faces a high-profile challenge in the seat from Chuka Umunna, who joined the Liberal Democrats this year after quitting the Labour party earlier this year..

Johnson opted to vote in central London despite a heavy tactical voting campaign to oust him from his own Uxbridge and South Ruislip seat.

Johnson took the seat with a 5,034 majority at the snap election two years ago but pro-European Union campaigners have urged remainers to unite behind Labour’s Ali Milani in a bid to topple the PM.

On polling day in 2017, then-prime minister Theresa May voted in her constituency of Maidenhead and David Cameron had his say in Witney in 2015.

At the General Election in 2010, Gordon Brown turned up to his local polling station in North Queensferry, situated in the Dunfermline and West Fife constituency he resided in and next to his own seat of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.

Tony Blair also voted with his family at a polling station in his constituency of Sedgefield, County Durham, in 2005, even though he had been in Downing Street for eight years by that point.

Had a letting agent in my house before. Her job is under threat if labour get in because of course no one will need to rent a house in London in that instance.

Some of the stuff people come out with is f***ing nuts isn’t it.

I heard ‘Corbyn’s latest madness is he wants to remove charitable status for public schools’ a few weeks back.

When I asked what was wrong with that, they didn’t really know. People have been brainwashed.

Imagine Johnson losing his seat by 1 vote :)

D'you think it would be allowed to happen? Wouldn't some Tory returning officer just fudge it if it was that close to the actual Prime Minister losing their seat?

‘Corbyn is an antisemity’

‘What is an ‘antisemity’?

‘No idea - but he is one’

See, there's a letter in the Guardian today signed by several prominent Jews. It focuses exclusively on Johnson's actual racism with plentiful evidence. Maybe too little too late. Labour has (admirably perhaps) fought fair but not enough has been made of Johnson's lies and racism.

Been a very half-hearted campaign here, which I'm hoping is because it's such a safe Labour seat

I thought it was the type of seat that Brexit Party would target but I've seen absolutely nothing from them, no placards around town, nothing through the door, they even fielded a candidate from England which never goes down well here. Only candidate to knock the door was the one from Plaid, but I know him

Seeing positive stuff about loads of younger voters out. This is key.

Hope so

Back to 1.34 according to a mate of mine.