Sign in to follow this  
Sir Tokyo Sexwale

VAR

Stat Man Gaz has created a monster - he's getting hundreds of replies to him on twitter & has turned his phone off as he can't cope

Has anybody seen Statman Gaz and Stu Brennan in the same room by the way?

Statman should do up a league table with every single VAR call going against us and every VAR call going for City, they'd maybe abe a handful of points closer, maximum.

Thing is a VAR decision going for/against you doesn’t give a binary change in the outcome of the game

The mad thing is that the mentalist is suggesting that having more correct decisions is the only reason Liverpool are miles ahead. What sort of argument is that?

FA now backing calls to give players the benefit of the doubt in marginal VAR offside decisions, saying it kills the excitement of the game.

Edited by Duncan Disorderly

Jonathan Wilson put forward a scenario weeks ago to illustrate a potential flaw in the differing treatments of handball. 

Ball is driven against defender’s arm inside the penalty area from a short distance, Unavoidable, no penalty. Defender hoofs ball upfield and forward runs onto it and scores. VAR examines the build up and decides that the assist came from a handball. Unintentional though it was the goal must be disallowed and the “offence” punished. Handball within his own area means a penalty must be awarded. 
Schrödinger’s handball. 

Then it almost happened at Burnley. 

1 hour ago, Hightown Phil said:

The handball that leads to a goal has to be in an attacking area so it wouldn’t happen. 

Where is there reference to an attacking area in the new wording? Interested to know. 

Edited by Ripley
Typo

46 minutes ago, Ripley said:

Where is there reference to an attacking area in the new wording? Interested to know. 

I think it was that Dale Johnson fella on twitter a few weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Why did they look at the VVD one against city then?

3 hours ago, Hightown Phil said:

Well “that Dale Johnson fella“ isn’t Ifab and its wording is he? Surely nothing would be as loosely expressed in the laws/guidelines as the “the attacking area”? Happy to be corrected but I can’t see it. 

So the Wilson scenario may indeed be valid. In which case it is better for the attacker not to score. If he does, it’s chalked off and there is a penalty at the other end; if he fails to score nothing has happened. 

He isn’t IFAB but he has a good grasp of it. Can’t remember if it was him but it’s what I read. It’s about being a part in a goal which isn’t really possible if it’s 100 yards away. You aren’t ever going to see an accidental handball result in a pen cos someone scores anyway. 

So do we think that the Burnley pen would've been given last week if they hadn't gone up the other end and scored straight after it? Cos I was under the impression that it was accidental and wouldn't have been given in "normal" circumstance