Sign in to follow this  
Senrab_nhoj

Forum Advice: Guitar/amp for daughter

OK so my daughter has set her heart on a hollow body guitar after guilting me about not having any financial reward system for her GCSE's (did very well so I think I may actually be in credit post guitar)

however I have no idea in this area. She's a beginner but has played self taught ukulele for a few years. I've set her a budget of  £175-200 for the guitar and then we can add a cheap amp on top. 

So she has come up with this so need some feedback :) Note we have prior with musical instruments being energetically pursued then dropped so this should factor into the options. I think this will be different as she is taking music at 'A' level and the flute has been magically found :)

Go see guitar John (or maybe Jean as he’s Belgian) on Aigburth Rd

You won’t miss it as there’s a helpful sign outside his shop saying ‘guitars’

It’s more or less opposite McDonald’s

I’d rather place myself at the mercy of a guitar lover who will sell you what you want second hand and isn’t really interested in making a lot of money and will fix it up as and when at the right price as time goes on

Of course he might not have the right thing for you but he can probably get it

And you can talk to him about all the options and feel confident before you dive in

For that money I'd go second hand if possible. You'll get an better and easier guitar for her to learn to play on which will keep her enthusiasm up. Would probably suggest going for an a acoustic in the first instance as well then you can add the amp money to the guitar fund.

Buying second hand also means if she gets bored in 6 months you get your money back

She needs to be jamming with mates ASAP not sitting in her room learning Greensleves on an acoustic

That’s the key to keep it it up and enjoying it

OK so my daughter has set her heart on a hollow body guitar after guilting me about not having any financial reward system for her GCSE's (did very well so I think I may actually be in credit post guitar)

however I have no idea in this area. She's a beginner but has played self taught ukulele for a few years. I've set her a budget of  £175-200 for the guitar and then we can add a cheap amp on top. 

So she has come up with this so need some feedback :) Note we have prior with musical instruments being energetically pursued then dropped so this should factor into the options. I think this will be different as she is taking music at 'A' level and the flute has been magically found :)

I would be very wary of buying any guitar on line which has not been checked in person first of all. Size, 'balance' and most important of all, the action of the strings is vital and you can't really tell any of that from online reviews. I would try out in a few shops first of all and then look at the online deals for the same guitar. 

Get her the cheapest one that looks cool.

In my brief experience of music, no-one who started out with 'good' gear amounts to anything. The allure of getting better gear is part of what drives people I think.

Edited by cymrococh

I would be very wary of buying any guitar on line which has not been checked in person first of all. Size, 'balance' and most important of all, the action of the strings is vital and you can't really tell any of that from online reviews. I would try out in a few shops first of all and then look at the online deals for the same guitar. 

She has already been into a couple of shops etc. and from that wants to go the hollow body route re size etc. agree totally on what you are saying but as ever with stuff like this trying to balance the immediacy with me wanting to do the full blown research etc. is always a challenge :)

Get her the cheapest one that looks cool.

In my brief experience of music, no-one who started out with 'good' gear amounts to anything. The allure of getting better gear is part of what drives people I think.

Think this is where I am at on this hence why I'm ok with her wanting the hollow body electric/acoustic route with a small amp that she can carry round a friend's house etc.

Oh man. Talk about FAO Fyds.

:)

however I have no idea in this area. She's a beginner but has played self taught ukulele for a few years. I've set her a budget of £175-200 for the guitar and then we can add a cheap amp on top.

Cheap guitars often have terrible action ( the distance from the strings to fret board) The lower the action the easier it is too play. It the action is high it’s really hard to play and people give up as the guitar is a hard instrument to play anyways.

She needs to actually try one to see how it feels.

For me low action is the key especially at the start.

Oh man. Talk about FAO Fyds.

"some people might say I influenced Eric Clapton but I couldn't possibly comment"

It's ironic that one of the best people to photoshoop his face onto a Luthier/Luther poster would be the man himself.

Edited by cymrococh

I went to Harmonics in crosby and they recommended the right guitar for my daughter (squier mini strat).

The best guitar for her will be the one which stays in tune the longest. It will be less painful for everyone while she learns. So stay away from cheap-ish but nice looking guitars.

I read the headline as: Forum advice: Guitar/amp or daughter.

Like it’s a choice between the two.

That really made me think as I’ve got both and it would be difficult to get rid of either. On reflection I do have an acoustic as well so you could argue that by choosing my daughter I get both the guitar and her and only lose out on the amp.

So daughter it is. Hope this was of assistance.

I read the headline as: Forum advice: Guitar/amp or daughter.

Like it’s a choice between the two.

That really made me think as I’ve got both and it would be difficult to get rid of either. On reflection I do have an acoustic as well so you could argue that by choosing my daughter I get both the guitar and her and only lose out on the amp.

So daughter it is. Hope this was of assistance.

Ha ha