your DIY skills

YNWA very own opening scene from Casualty

reminds me of a colleague who used to get a lift home every day in a Porsche from another colleague.... 

One day he opted to turn off traction control.... Ended up spinning out at the first roundabout he got to and completely wrecked the rear left hand side of the car.... The one who got the lift said the turning off of the traction control felt just like an opening scene from Casualty. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I have been completely banned from using either a paint brush or a roller. Apparently, I did such a piss poor job last night and this afternoon, that my participation in the painting project is limited to putting tape around things, cleaning stuff and providing coffee.

I'm gutted.

• 1 month later...

Made up with myself this morning.

Water flow doesn’t stop from electric shower. I’ve read up and it’s the solenoid valve.

Normally I’d have got someone in to fit a new shower or maybe a new bathroom, but it’s better that we use what we have and make it work if we can.

Made up with myself this morning.

Water flow doesn’t stop from electric shower. I’ve read up and it’s the solenoid valve.

Normally I’d have got someone in to fit a new shower or maybe a new bathroom, but it’s better that we use what we have and make it work if we can.

I posted a few months back a similar thing.... Was a mega cheap part from amazon... Same thing, Solenoid. Dead easy to replace. Felt great seeing it work again after. A few years back I would have called an electrician out or bought a whole new unit.

Not really DIY but we have lived in our house for almost 8 years and I juts discovered we have a sprinkler system for the back lawn. I uncovered a pipe and when we connected a hose puddles appeared on the lawn. A new lawn had been laid on top of the old at some point and the sprinklers are about 20cm below the level. We have now raised them all and have a fully functioning system.

I've just finished my first attempt at tiling and I got say I've impressed myself. Just the kitchen walls mind you but the cuts around the window and sockets were a bugger. Looks bloody good but not sure I'd tackle flooring.

Always considered myself pretty handy for an accountant having done decking, built fences and a raised fishpond etc. but it was nice to try something new.

Next project will be widening the door frames for my big head.

Edited by Tobes Rafa

Most damp problems are about ventilation and insulation. Get the damp air away from that surface

Yeah I know, we've tried everything else in this room though and the mould still comes back and as it's my daughter's room we need to get it sorted. Her chest has been terrible this winter.

Yeah I know, we've tried everything else in this room though and the mould still comes back and as it's my daughter's room we need to get it sorted. Her chest has been terrible this winter.

Have you tried an air brick? Do you have trickle vents on the windows?

Edited by Murphman

Have you tried an air brick? Do you have trickle vents on the windows?

these are good measures

also, what if the wall in question is (the inside of, obv) an exterior wall that faces north and gets hardly any sunlight and is always very cold?

keeping it warm as well as ventilated will do the job

I have a kind of walk-in wardrobe with this problem so in the winter I just periodically blast it with a bit of heat from a leccy radiator

Trying to solve a damp problem today by putting up plasterboard and insulation over the existing wall.

Doesn't sound like a good solution to be honest. Is it a condensation issue or penetrating damp?

Edited by D.Boon

I bought a set of monoblock tap spanners yesterday.

Not from a big DIY superstore or Screwfix etc - no, I went old school - went to a small independent plumbing supply shop in Lambeth.

Paid cash and the bloke behind the counter, wearing a tan coloured shopkeeper coat, hand wrote a receipt with a little pencil he took from behind his ear.

Gertcha.

Doesn't sound like a good solution to be honest. Is it a condensation issue or penetrating damp?

Don't say this now Boon. 

Pretty certain it's in the wall. I'm trying to stop the mould more than anything.

I bought a set of monoblock tap spanners yesterday.

Not from a big DIY superstore or Screwfix etc - no, I went old school - went to a small independent plumbing supply shop in Lambeth.

Paid cash and the bloke behind the counter, wearing a tan coloured shopkeeper coat, hand wrote a receipt with a little pencil he took from behind his ear.

Gertcha.

Used to go somewhere like that in Kennington, proper fork handles joint.

Don't say this now Boon.

Pretty certain it's in the wall. I'm trying to stop the mould more than anything

If it's in the wall then it's getting in somewhere. Cracked brickwork, leaking gutter, blocked gulley? Putting board over isn't going to stop that coming back through so your time and money would be better spent getting to the root of it and repairing.

If it's condensation then you need to ventilate the room and warm the walls somehow. Some older houses just have cold walls that unless you blast them with the heating it will always get condensation on in the winter.

We're moving house soon. We have a list of things to do from the real estate people. I am surprising myself with my DIY abilities. Removed and installed all the air conditioning returns and registers yesterday, replaced the drip pans on a gas cooktop and replaced a bunch of door handles today. Add that lot to my bubble wrapping skills and I am earning brownie points with my wife. However, anything to with electrical, plumbing and intricate painting are still outside my skill set.

If it's in the wall then it's getting in somewhere. Cracked brickwork, leaking gutter, blocked gulley? Putting board over isn't going to stop that coming back through so your time and money would be better spent getting to the root of it and repairing.

This is very much a sticking plaster approach to get through this winter, and it's cost me £65 and an afternoon. The plaster is lifting in places so it's definitely in the wall, On inspection it looks like the roof tiles don't quite overlap right in the corner so it might be that, doing anything with the roof terrifies me cost-wise.