your DIY skills

seems like the obvious solution

yes, obvious

I wonder why I don't do it then

hmmm....what could possibly be the reason?

actually let's kill the suspense. I've just come back from an Aufwiedersehen Pet-style trip to France and we're about half way there

I'm buying in to the French lifestyle and customs of course, but that can start AFTER my house is ready

such customs include:

deciding whether to show up or not

2 hours at lunch

no overtime or holiday work

no work before 8pm

no work at all on Sundays or holidays or anything noisy during lunch time and in theory, the police could be called for any of these infractions and you're shut down

oh, and the custom of paying someone 40 euros an hour to mow the f***ing lawn or equivalent

good on them, that's what I say...it all helps indirectly to keep the fabric of society together and that's why you don't have any chavs and the place is spotless, with flowers everywhere, the roads well-kept and all the outdoor stuff is free and accessible, unlike here where the National Trust or the Monarchy has it all stitched up

nevertheless, I'll immerse myself in all this in a few weeks, when my project is finished

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well you'll not find anyone here wanting to scab for you. Pay the locals or get on YouTube ;)

yeah all right Jimmy Hoffa, see if I care

here's me trying to lay on free holidays for recovering addicts.....

fine they can go to Butlins instead

or perhaps someone else has a vested interest in keeping them away from the French countryside, with it's forests and lakes and abundance of cycling opportunities  ;)

just picked up two mountain bikes there before I left in fact

yes, obvious

I wonder why I don't do it then

hmmm....what could possibly be the reason?

actually let's kill the suspense. I've just come back from an Aufwiedersehen Pet-style trip to France and we're about half way there

I'm buying in to the French lifestyle and customs of course, but that can start AFTER my house is ready

such customs include:

deciding whether to show up or not

2 hours at lunch

no overtime or holiday work

no work before 8pm

no work at all on Sundays or holidays or anything noisy during lunch time and in theory, the police could be called for any of these infractions and you're shut down

oh, and the custom of paying someone 40 euros an hour to mow the f***ing lawn or equivalent

good on them, that's what I say...it all helps indirectly to keep the fabric of society together and that's why you don't have any chavs and the place is spotless, with flowers everywhere, the roads well-kept and all the outdoor stuff is free and accessible, unlike here where the National Trust or the Monarchy has it all stitched up

nevertheless, I'll immerse myself in all this in a few weeks, when my project is finished

you only wanted someone to work 4 hours a day

you only wanted someone to work 4 hours a day

yes but not for wages

they get bed, board and booze

imagine paying over 200 euros a day for an unskilled labourer; it makes it prohibitive

fortunately we are in the EU so this is all legal and above board

Look at it as the opportunity for you to be the bigger man who helps the local economy, rather than getting his scab mates over to bodge it quickly and then having to employ locals to fix the mess. Not only is it saving you a false economy, it'll be better for your long-term integration into the community....

Look at it as the opportunity for you to be the bigger man who helps the local economy, rather than getting his scab mates over to bodge it quickly and then having to employ locals to fix the mess. Not only is it saving you a false economy, it'll be better for your long-term integration into the community....

I have other things to bring to the community

honestly, in all seriousness, I tried to get locals in

one of them, a decorator I spoke to in a pub, said "Bugeat...wait, that's like 20 minutes away - no chance!"

another turned up 10 days late for a 2 week job, walked around and then said "right, I'll be back in a week"

and so on

like I said, good luck to them if it works and I'll be diving in to this lifestyle as soon as my project is finished, otherwise I can't afford it

on the plus side I went to see the old lady who lives across the way and asked her when she wanted us to work and when to shut up and she said "do what you like, I'm just glad of the excitement"

i offered to fetch all her gear from the village too (bread etc, not coke or crack) but she has a cast of thousands looking after her already

this is where your tax dollar goes in France; better than being wasted on expenses scandals and the like

I have other things to bring to the community

honestly, in all seriousness, I tried to get locals in

one of them, a decorator I spoke to in a pub, said "Bugeat...wait, that's like 20 minutes away - no chance!"

another turned up 10 days late for a 2 week job, walked around and then said "right, I'll be back in a week"

and so on

like I said, good luck to them if it works and I'll be diving in to this lifestyle as soon as my project is finished, otherwise I can't afford it

on the plus side I went to see the old lady who lives across the way and asked her when she wanted us to work and when to shut up and she said "do what you like, I'm just glad of the excitement"

i offered to fetch all her gear from the village too (bread etc, not coke or crack) but she has a cast of thousands looking after her already

this is where your tax dollar goes in France; better than being wasted on expenses scandals and the like

Thought a man of your extensive business experience would have costed all this out before jumping in.

Sounds like you've made strenuous efforts to find local tradesmen though, so well done on that. 

Thought a man of your extensive business experience would have costed all this out before jumping in.

Sounds like you've made strenuous efforts to find local tradesmen though, so well done on that. 

f*** all that, that just leads to doing nothing

and f*** the local tradesmen; they're all drinking wine at lunch time for 2 hours while we bust our arses in this toxic Brexit s***hole

well if you can't beat 'em, join 'em

I'm getting out of the daily races, just like you did - and soon, my pizza oven and similar stuff  will be competing with your smoke ovens and mulchers and the like 

I have one problem, one rather large elephant in the room.....LFC - specifically the business of match-attendance

I made (half of) this... the cupboard on the right is the original Victorian bookcase, the one on the left is the one I made.. 

Edit (annoyingly the images are rotated by the uploader but you get the idea).

Very nice Mr Clown. I’m a bit of a dab hand at the old DIY. Lots of recent experience.

Does anyone have any good tips for bathroom sealant. I need to reseal around my bath and the last time I tried to do it, it looked like I'd sprayed it on from about 6 feet away.

keep the nozzle hole small enough to cover and use a wet butter knife to spread it.

as in most things in life wet fingering does the trick too.

or follow that video

im handy as f*** and give most things ago except big electrical stuff or gas etc.

ok it mightnt look professional but f*** it.

Edited by Ostrich Man

We always do teas and coffees for tradesmen working here. Bacon sarnies mid-morning if they're going to be here all day too. Firstly it's good to treat people nicely, but it also really helps when you then need someone at short notice & they remember you as the "bacon sarnie" place and get up here sharpish :)

With you on the painting front - absolutely hate it and I'm crap at it. Probably hate it because I'm crap at it - happy to do undercoating and prep work but I just can't get the finish right.

Looking after tradesmen is not the norm over here. Most workers over here bring their own stuff, or pop out to a local place for food & drink. Last time we had our roof done, the Mexican guys set up a crock pot and microwave in our garage.

Looking after tradesmen is not the norm over here. Most workers over here bring their own stuff, or pop out to a local place for food & drink. Last time we had our roof done, the Mexican guys set up a crock pot and microwave in our garage.

We've never have an issue getting tradesmen who've worked here on our main build to come back for smaller jobs, 'cos we always treat them well when they're here and pay their invoices promptly.

keep the nozzle hole small enough to cover and use a wet butter knife to spread it.

as in most things in life wet fingering does the trick too.

or follow that video

im handy as f*** and give most things ago except big electrical stuff or gas etc.

ok it mightnt look professional but f*** it.

Wet fingering is the way to go but the key is to wet the finger with white spirit and keep cleaning it with the same.

I read that as crack pipe first time up