By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

2019/2020

psl

53 minutes ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Bailo, this is why Kop205 is kicking your a*** in the rep department. I didn’t even hit like - didn’t need to. 

I know, it's an absolute masterpiece. He's Mozart to my Salieri. 

Edited by Bailo

1 hour ago, muleskinner said:

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

Yeah one journo reckons he spoke to Guardiola and said he wants to win the next too BD and can only do it with him.

Hes obviously a genius but messi’s mystique has long gone for me. He’s clearly a little bellend. 

I hope Ronaldo is on the phone to Barcelona. Saying he'll play for free if he can have Messi's shirt number, wins the Ballon D'Or, and to celebrate a La Liga title he pulls a pic of Messi out of his shorts and p*sses all over it. 

Jeez, I always wondered who I despised most out of those two. I guess I know now.

Edited by Cam

I’m not having it that Ferguson got under Rafa’s skin, just because bellends like Lawrenson bought into the Manc media narrative and say so. 

He was the only one with big enough balls to call him and the league out on the blatant favouritism Utd got off referees. Which later helped gift them the league. 

It’s f***ing nonsense. 

If it did bother some of our players, it was because they were too s***house in the first place. 

Edited by Ed the Wool
  • Like 8

Hodgson was our worst appointment of the last 60 years. Evans fell short because he didn't stand up to his players. They ruled that dressing room towards the end of his reign. He should've won at least one league title though, 1997 was a sickener. Coventry City at Anfield, horrible flashbacks.

Houllier brought success back to the club culminating in the treble winning season of 2001. What a ride, it was exhilarating, every game toward the end of the season was s*** or bust all starting with Gary Mac 40 yarder at Goodison. That was the first time I genuinely lost it, I celebrated so hard felt like I had no control over myself. Unfortunately toward the end of his reign it became toxic, he lost his way, I remember sitting in the main stand and we were losing, can't remember who against but Biscan was about to come on as a sub and a good portion of the crowd turned on him. Booing, moaning, swearing, frustration you name it came down on him. I knew then his time was up.

5 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Think the Biscan game was Man City in maybe the February of his last season. The best gauge of his things were going until some time in the last ten years was empty seats at league games and some of those Houllier games were way below capacity. Similar with Hodgson I think.

Yeah it was Man City, I've went to watch the reds at Anfield on and off between 1995 and 2006. But that was the only time I experienced a toxic atmosphere inside. 

5 hours ago, Ed the Wool said:

I’m not having it that Ferguson got under Rafa’s skin, just because bellends like Lawrenson bought into the Manc media narrative and say so. 

He was the only one with big enough balls to call him and the league out on the blatant favouritism Utd got off referees. Which later helped gift them the league. 

It’s f***ing nonsense. 

If it did bother some of our players, it was because they were too s***house in the first place. 

Ferguson absolutely got under Rafa's skin, in the same way as Rafa got under his, Mourinho got under everyone's and vice versa, etc etc.

Every word of the 'facts' press conference was true and I'm glad he said it because it wasn't him taking the bait in any genius mind games, it was him calling Ferguson out for the horrible, bullying c*** he was.

It still meant he'd got under his skin but I don't think the poor run of results that immediately followed were because of it. We t****** Stoke and hit the post twice late in from what I remember. It was correlation rather than causation but once he'd rolled the dice like that and things then went as they did the response was inevitable and it ended up heaping pressure on him, as much because of the gleeful xenophobia of the media.

But saying Ferguson didn't get under his skin is protesting too much and actually giving Ferguson far too much credit, same as people chirping about us being 'back on our perch' are doing. It was never him who knocked us off it. He was just lucky enough to be around at the time when we unravelled ourselves and there was nobody else to really fill the breach.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Ferguson absolutely got under Rafa's skin, in the same way as Rafa got under his, Mourinho got under everyone's and vice versa, etc etc.

Every word of the 'facts' press conference was true and I'm glad he said it because it wasn't him taking the bait in any genius mind games, it was him calling Ferguson out for the horrible, bullying c*** he was.

It still meant he'd got under his skin but I don't think the poor run of results that immediately followed were because of it. We t****** Stoke and hit the post twice late in from what I remember. It was correlation rather than causation but once he'd rolled the dice like that and things then went as they did the response was inevitable and it ended up heaping pressure on him, as much because of the gleeful xenophobia of the media.

But saying Ferguson didn't get under his skin is protesting too much and actually giving Ferguson far too much credit, same as people chirping about us being 'back on our perch' are doing. It was never him who knocked us off it. He was just lucky enough to be around at the time when we unravelled ourselves and there was nobody else to really fill the breach.

I get what you mean. My definition of 'getting under someone's skin' is to provoke them to act in a way that is illogical or unreasonable. Like you, I don't think Rafa was guilty of either of those. 

12 minutes ago, Ed the Wool said:

I get what you mean. My definition of 'getting under someone's skin' is to provoke them to act in a way that is illogical or unreasonable. Like you, I don't think Rafa was guilty of either of those. 

Yeah, fair enough, can see how it read like that. Was more just making the point that you can say that Rafa despised Ferguson without that being the reason that we didn't win the league that season.

1 hour ago, kop205 said:

I mean I hate Ferguson as much as the next man but there's giving someone too much credit and then there's this. 

1 hour ago, kop205 said:

Yeah, fair enough, can see how it read like that. Was more just making the point that you can say that Rafa despised Ferguson without that being the reason that we didn't win the league that season.

Don’t forget this was straight after Gerrard’s arrest. I felt at the time it was the manager attempting to take the heat off his captain by changing the media agenda.

If it was that it definitely worked. Maybe a little bit too well.

I think the problem with the "rant" was it was off the cuff and combined with Rafa's spoken English just came across as clumsy and rambling. Thought he came across great in the programme unlike the rest. Presumably Souness and Dalglish couldn't be arsed with it.

Edited by D.Boon

36 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

Don’t forget this was straight after Gerrard’s arrest. I felt at the time it was the manager attempting to take the heat off his captain by changing the media agenda.

This was my thinking on it too. Takes Gerrard off the front and back pages. Rafa doesn’t really do anything without a reason or strategy. Mind you I’d still love to know why he paid so much for Glen Johnson and Aquilani. 😆😆

14 minutes ago, Benzo-13 said:

This was my thinking on it too. Takes Gerrard off the front and back pages. Rafa doesn’t really do anything without a reason or strategy. Mind you I’d still love to know why he paid so much for Glen Johnson and Aquilani. 😆😆

Wasn't it due something to do with both clubs owing us money so buying from Roma and Portsmouth were the only options available to him 

3 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Wasn't it due something to do with both clubs owing us money so buying from Roma and Portsmouth were the only options available to him 

I read that too back then but I think it was disproven?? 
Though that could be wrong considering what a mad house we were at the time.

17 minutes ago, Benzo-13 said:

I read that too back then but I think it was disproven?? 
Though that could be wrong considering what a mad house we were at the time.

The Aquilani transfer was a strange one, he clearly wasn't a Rafa player, and it was strange when Rafa talked about him scoring a hatrick for Italy (u21) at Wembley , when it was in fact Pazzini who scored it

20 minutes ago, Hassony said:

The Aquilani transfer was a strange one, he clearly wasn't a Rafa player, and it was strange when Rafa talked about him scoring a hatrick for Italy (u21) at Wembley , when it was in fact Pazzini who scored it

Yep. It’s stuff like that which made it very strange and we’d usually gone for Sneijder as part of the Alonso deal too.

1 hour ago, Jarg Armani said:

Ha, true.

Think it was lost on Gerrard if that is what he was doing.

1 hour ago, Hassony said:

I'd not heard that before. Not like Rafa to get a stat wrong either, he's a man for the detail!

3 hours ago, Boca said:

I mean I hate Ferguson as much as the next man but there's giving someone too much credit and then there's this. 

When he went up against a strong Liverpool,  Kenny schooled him for 5 years. If things hadn't gone the way they did from 89-91 then I reckon everything else turns our very different.

• Like 1

Rafa was spot on with the facts. And it was interesting the other night when he spoke about "talking off the record". 

The incident wasn't to blame for the run of form that followed, it was purely a coincidence. But it gave the media, then the fans and ultimately players a focal point. The players, and we all know how sh*thouse they can be given the opportunity, used it as an excuse, a get-out clause. It was the kind of thing we expected under Evans and maybe some remnants of that culture still existed at that point despite all the rebuilding work from GH and Rafa.

21 hours ago, Conrad said:

Hey, cheers Swipe. It was called The Red Revolution - Liverpoo Under Houllier. Its generally very positive about him but as I say I did sort of go off him a bit through the process of it, not helped by the wheels coming off on the pitch the last year or two

I own that book. Fair play