psl

2019/2020

Not sure why the PL are pushing for a May restart, as it ooks ridiculous and irresponsible given the government's current guidelines and expectations

54 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

Not sure why the PL are pushing for a May restart, as it ooks ridiculous and irresponsible given the government's current guidelines and expectations

I think they just have to plan for it really. A plan they can't deliver is better than getting to a point where they're allowed to play and then they have no plan.

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

When we win it there’ll be a time later for celebrating in front of hundreds of thousands. It’ll be majestic. But I just want it won now. I don’t care how, at this stage.

Realise it’s easier for me to say than the lads here who go every week, of course. 

I do go every week and I agree with you. All we're missing now is mathematical confirmation - being in the ground to see it won't be as much fun as Villa away. 

Yeah I don't think you'll find many match goers pissed off about not being in the ground for the win anymore. That ship has long sailed (for me anyway).

It’ll be such an emotional release when it’s back. Couldn’t care less if it’s on a training ground or an empty Anfield. 

I’m even looking forward to other teams coming back. The amount of time I watch and think about football has been starkly brought to the fore by this nonsense. 

Agree about the plan thing too. They have to have several on the go for every deadline they give themselves. That may one is in the mail too so most likely b******s.

The worse things get, the more I need footy,  but the worse they get, the likelihood it comes back recedes

It's one crappy cycle

What's the rush for a start/finish? 

Next season - cancel the LC, or top teams can bail out. No replayed in the FAC. In the EC just have the group winners go through, to eliminate the R16, no-one drops to the UEFA. UEFA Cup - reduce the groups from 12 to 8 or top12 go through plus a playoff for the other 4 spots so there's no R32.

I read that headline and panicked but doesn’t it just mean they’re not putting out any more arbitrary timelines?

Had another peep at Delaney’s feed there. One lad trying to take him to task over finishing the season. A United fan obviously. Delaney kept repeating over and over that voiding is the worst possible outcome and the ramifications were dire, particularly for lower leagues. He said all but 1% within football wanted to finish the season and absolutely did not want it voided. The lad didn’t want to listen, of course.

Delaney also reckons Spurs actually do want the season finished. The four in the PL who don’t want it must literally be the bottom three and West Ham. 

I also reckon that if it does get binned off they will find a way of awarding the title to us. 

Yeah defo. I think that’s the easy bit. It’s relegation and (non) promotion that would cause a riot. 

Again, all the PL needs to do is come out and say this season is being finished no matter how long it takes. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Yeah defo. I think that’s the easy bit. It’s relegation and (non) promotion that would cause a riot. 

Again, all the PL needs to do is come out and say this season is being finished no matter how long it takes. 

Why would they bother though? To shut the twitter virgins up? It won’t anyway.

They’re just getting their ducks in a line, waiting for the curve to flatten a bit, then it’ll be announced.

8 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

They’re just getting their ducks in a line, waiting for the curve to flatten a bit, then it’ll be announced.

Just to cheer me up, Jarg. Your confidence is good enough for me, though. 

Edited by Swipe

50 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

Agree with this.

Quite depressing that reports have come out that the league were going to give us the trophy after the Palace game if we had won the title then.

I know we're going over & over the same ground here - mostly to appease our own inner panic - and yes we're on uncharted water, but again, why should next season be seen as more important than this? 

If binned - 

Do players goals count or not? What about the bonuses

What about supporters who've spent a wedge to travel all over the country?

yes - promote 2 & don't relegate - but what about Fulham? 6 points off auto promotion with 9 to play? If you look at Leicester's survival in 2015, you'll know that almost anything is possible

Who qualifies for Europe? I'm sure Sheff U - game in hand and 5 points behind 4th place Chelsea (assuming City got a reprieve for FFP) would have something to say, moreso if City weren't reprieved so their game in hand is a potential EC spot.

What about team bonuses for placing in the league worth (I think) a couple of million per place

Are you really going to deny players honours they may never have the chance to win again - say Lallana? 

I mean anything can happen, and if this thing becomes an apocalypse then yeah, footy doesn't matter (that much); obviously continuing the 39/40 season 5 years later wasn't going to happen but in all but the worst outcome this season has to end.

Levy is putrid.

The money he’ll lose will soon change his mind on voiding.

Also, anyone in Ireland with virgin sport - they’re having a Liverpool weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday for a few hours from 8pm they’ve got a load of our old games on. Even one of the European cup wins from the 80s.

Looks like extended highlights rather then full games but still. 

41 minutes ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Interesting that Spurs, who seem to be one of the loudest advocates for voiding the season have just furloughed their non-playing workforce. 

What a horrible club. 

Tax dodging exiled billionaire telling the staff to do one and tap the government up. Hope that stadium ruins them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/champions-league-coronavirus-uefa-europa-league-a9439381.html

Champions League final set to be held behind closed doors as Uefa meet, with voiding season ‘off the table’

Uefa will discuss player contracts and the transfer window on Wednesday

Miguel DelaneyChief Football Writer @MiguelDelaney

Wednesday 1 April 2020 07:18 

Uefa and the collective European leagues are committed to completing the 2019/20 domestic and continental seasons before 2020/21 begins, and are now actively planning for the major showpiece finals to be played behind closed doors, with voiding the campaign “off the table”.

The governing body is set to stage another videoconference on Wednesday about player contracts and the transfer window amid the coronavirus crisis, but The Independenthas been told by multiple sources that detailed discussions have already taken place about the fate of this season. All parties are fully aligned with the English view that the campaign must be completed, whenever that is.

Edited by psl

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

Levy is putrid.

The money he’ll lose will soon change his mind on voiding.

Also, anyone in Ireland with virgin sport - they’re having a Liverpool weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday for a few hours from 8pm they’ve got a load of our old games on. Even one of the European cup wins from the 80s.

Looks like extended highlights rather then full games but still. 

Is this on the IPTV?

5 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Think it's clear now it's not going to be voided. 

Its only really Delaney saying anything.

I think its clear that is the intention. I don't think it's clear what happens if football can't start again for some time. 

Edited by psl

2 hours ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Interesting that Spurs, who seem to be one of the loudest advocates for voiding the season have just furloughed their non-playing workforce. 

What a horrible club. 

They're desperate for a voiding because on the two likely metrics for determining CL qualification for next year in the event of a voiding they come out in the top 4. That being either coefficients or last years top 4.

Just now, Sion said:

They're desperate for a voiding because on the two likely metrics for determining CL qualification for next year in the event of a voiding they come out in the top 4. That being either coefficients or last years top 4.

Good point. I think they also realise this is the last time they’ll be capable of getting Champions League for a while. Mourinho is a busted flush, Kane will be off in the next year and they hate spending money. 

11 minutes ago, psl said:

Its only really Delaney saying anything.

I think its clear that is the intention. I don't think it's clear what happens if football can't start again for some time. 

The chief sports writer of the times has been writing the same as Delaney in recent days. Money will see this season finished. 

13 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

Is this on the IPTV?

I’m not sure actually. I’ve never seen it there. Good channels actually. Have every CL game on. Get them free if you’re a virgin customer and worth it for that alone.

11 minutes ago, Sion said:

Not that he’s defo right but Delaney reckons Spurs aren’t one of the clubs who want it voided.