psl

2019/2020

I’m actually not worried anymore. 

Maybe just feels less important.

We’ve rightfully won this league no matter whether we get awarded it or not, and everyone knows it. But I strongly believe one way or another we’ll get it officially anyway.

8 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

We’ve rightfully won this league no matter whether we get awarded it or not, and everyone knows it. But I strongly believe one way or another we’ll get it officially anyway.

At this moment in time I think we’re all dealing with the personal isolation and coping with what’s going on. I’m not catching up or even thinking about football. 

But at the back of my mind, this will begin to swing and we reach a situation that we unwind the measures. When governments start to loosen restrictions I want this on the back burner to really boost moral and win it by completing the season (however that happens).

PL clubs in talks for a collective agreement to defer player wages says the Athletic.

The piece probably starts with a long intro about a player about to buy something expensive online but then something occurs to him and he thinks twice.

Premier League clubs are in active discussions over forming a collective agreement to defer top-flight wages to safeguard their financial future.

The Athletic has learned senior executives at several clubs are making calls to form a joint agreement that would see the Premier League make a collective statement of solidarity. Some of the division’s most prominent voices are conscious of the need to secure an agreement across multiple stakeholders, as they seek to strike a deal that will appease players, the Professional Footballers’ Association and agents. Should the clubs themselves reach a unanimous view, it is then expected to be fiercely negotiated by those representing players.

The clubs are engaging in these talks because they believe their wage outgoings are unsustainable in the absence of the usual match-day income, while there are also doubts over the fate of existing broadcast deals, in addition to concerns over how future negotiations with sponsors and broadcasters will be affected by the overall economic impact of coronavirus. Even the largest clubs, whose revenue streams are hugely diversified, stand to lose millions if games do not take place or take place behind closed doors. One senior director said: “We simply cannot spend all the money we usually spend while missing significant amounts of what we usually bring in.”

The Premier League has set an initial date of April 30 by which top-flight football will not resume in England but after the country’s deputy chief medical officer warned on Sunday that it may be six months until the country returns to “normal”, clubs are now hastening measures to protect their finances. The Athletic previously revealed that a failure to complete the season would mean broadcasters demand £762 million in recompense.

Last week, Leeds United secured an in-house agreement that saw senior executives, playing staff and coaching staff agree to defer their wages until Championship football resumes. Across Europe, similar moves have taken place. On Monday, Lionel Messi announced that Barcelona players have agreed a 70 per cent wage cut to help tide the club over, while Juventus announced at the weekend that the playing and coaching staff have committed to wage cuts that will save the club up to £80.7 million during the next four months.

Premier League clubs have been criticised in some quarters for being slow to make the same moves, but executives have been at pains to point out that social distancing guidelines in the United Kingdom have arrived later from the government than they did in Spain and Italy. Indeed, only a couple of weeks ago, the government was advising that matches and crowds should continue as normal.

Now, however, the reality is setting in for the clubs and The Athletic is aware of top-ranking executives at Premier League clubs competing in Europe, hovering in mid-table and battling relegation now attempting to broker a unified agreement across the Premier League. It should be said that not every club in the division was immediately aware of the discussions as of Monday afternoon. Indeed, some clubs were surprised by Newcastle’s decision to place all academy and scouting staff on furlough. This means they must apply to the government’s coronavirus job retention scheme which allows staff to claim 80 per cent of their wages, to a maximum of £2,500 per month, with the club paying the remaining 20 per cent.

Across other clubs, there is hope of a collective deferral agreement by their high-earning staff to protect jobs across the board and ease cash flow issues. Some smaller clubs are more openly contemplating not only deferrals, but also reductions in salary, particularly if play restarts behind closed doors and clubs do not have access to the usual match-day income.  The larger clubs, meanwhile, are not all under the same urgently pressing need to defer wages but recognise the long-term damage that could ensue for the Premier League if a deal is not secured.

Ha! If it ain't the Coronavirus, the voiding, the behind closed doors or the one-off title decider that's gonna stop number 19 it'll be the players strike. 

11 hours ago, Leo No.8 said:

It absolutely is less important but I can’t pretend I won’t be utterly gutted if we don’t get the league. The players deserve it more than anyone ever has. 

56 minutes ago, psl said:

It absolutely is less important but I can’t pretend I won’t be utterly gutted if we don’t get the league. The players deserve it more than anyone ever has. 

I agree but when all this first started I have to admit this was one of the things I worried about, now it’s not. I think I’ll just cross that bridge if it comes to it.

Four teams in the bottom half of the league are in favour of voiding the season according to a report in the Independent.

"Four bottom-half clubs are said to be in favour of voiding the season because they feel that the money guaranteed from staying in the Premier League for another campaign would be greater than any money they have to give back to broadcasters."

The rest of the article is good though in terms of laying out the reasons that it should be completed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-void-season-2020-coronavirus-liverpool-title-efl-legal-challenge-a9437081.html

Imagine thinking voiding because it means you’ll get PL money again next year is the moral choice over wanting to complete the season when it’s safe, and every club getting a chance to get as many of the remaining points as possible. Staggering really. 

Edited by Swipe

Loads in that article suggest it won’t happen though. A premier league vote of clubs isn’t enough to make any decision stick, it needs ratified by the a FA and EFL and the latter in particular are adamant the season gets finished. Also said there’s talk the PL will put the matter to bed tomorrow. 

Just postpone this season a year and pick up where it was left in Feb 2021, in effect cancelling next season. Makes a bit of sense as the 20/21 season is likely to be effected anyway, and this gives everyone plenty of time to sort things out. 

If there's time left do a 1 off tourney in nov/dec as pre-season. 

Edited by surf

The mail - I know - reckons there’s another plan to start up again on the weekend of May 2nd if that was feasible. 

22 minutes ago, Swipe said:

The mail - I know - reckons there’s another plan to start up again on the weekend of May 2nd if that was feasible. 

It won't happen that quick, but reading the increasingly desperate replies from the health & safety experts among our rival fans is really cheering me up.

It’s wild. Loads just absolutely happy to throw away a season to spite a team they don’t like. 

Edited by Swipe

I didn't know the EFL had to agree for the PL to void a season. I guess it would make sense.

That's good news.

Edited by psl

'How can anyone worry about football during these times, people are literally dying, just void the season ffs'

2 minutes later, the same person posts a Gerrard's slip GIF 

1 minute ago, Hassony said:

'How can anyone worry about football during these times, people are literally dying, just void the season ffs'

Proper annoying people who say things like that. 

Theyd have a point if it was doctors and nurses discussing football. But what are football administrators supposed to do with their time if not discuss what they get paid for. 

1 minute ago, Sion said:

Proper annoying people who say things like that. 

Theyd have a point if it was doctors and nurses discussing football. But what are football administrators supposed to do with their time if not discuss what they get paid for. 

Looking forward to the expose in a few years when it turns out that the chief executives of Premier League clubs actually chose to talk about football instead of prioritising their former professions which range from building ventilators to working in A&E.

17 minutes ago, Hassony said:

The Barcelona/Messi fans on Twitter need to be executed. I think they’re the worst by a mile.

I was randomly watching Hibs fans singing Sunshine on Leith after winning the Scottish Cup 3 or 4 years ago and it made me realised how broken I would be if we won it behind closed doors.

Better than the alternative like but still not great.

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

It’s wild. Loads just absolutely happy to throw away a season to spite a team they don’t like. 

What are most of them throwing away though? On a sporting level there are probably only about 4 clubs who have any interest in the season continuing and some have loads to gain by it being canned - though even then, the non-bellend thing to would be accept that we should be declared champions.

But look, we wouldn't be short of Liverpool fans saying scrap it if someone else were 25 points clear if we're being honest.

47 minutes ago, kop205 said:

What are most of them throwing away though? On a sporting level there are probably only about 4 clubs who have any interest in the season continuing and some have loads to gain by it being canned - though even then, the non-bellend thing to would be accept that we should be declared champions.

But look, we wouldn't be short of Liverpool fans saying scrap it if someone else were 25 points clear if we're being honest.

We wouldn’t but I can only speak for myself and I certainly wouldn’t be one of them. How quickly they’d see loads f***ed over just for spite is mad to me. They’re also f***ing over three teams in the Championship and on and on. Appreciate not everyone feels like it but I think can’t get my head around it. 

59 minutes ago, Cam said:

I was randomly watching Hibs fans singing Sunshine on Leith after winning the Scottish Cup 3 or 4 years ago and it made me realised how broken I would be if we won it behind closed doors.

Better than the alternative like but still not great.

It absolutely would ge great. Because we’d have the title and it’s the only way. 

Edited by Swipe

When we win it there’ll be a time later for celebrating in front of hundreds of thousands. It’ll be majestic. But I just want it won now. I don’t care how, at this stage.

Realise it’s easier for me to say than the lads here who go every week, of course.