psl

2019/2020

20 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

UEFA saying shortened session to follow this extended one. Spurs and Kane can do one. 

See how that business plan predicated on CL football every season goes now.

Excellent. 

Not a chance they aren’t going to finish the champions league and have to deal with Istanbul losing out on the final, so that will allow the leagues to follow suit. 

This Times piece saying they’ve already lost millions having to push back the euros and cancelling the season will see £750m lost in tv money from the PL alone. 

Edit: here’s the full piece. Gordon Taylor talking sense for once although as always it comes down to money for him. For once this is okay! 

Edited by Swipe

On the BBC

It would only be "fair" to award Liverpool the Premier League title if the season is not completed because of coronavirus, says Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan.

With football in England suspended until at least 30 April, Liverpool have a 25-point lead over defending champions City and are two wins from a first top-flight title in 30 years.

Asked if the Reds should be given the trophy if the season is cut short, Gudogan told German broadcaster ZDF: "For me, that would be OK, yes."

"You have to be fair as a sportsperson," the 29-year-old Germany international added.

Both the times piece and Delaney there mention the government being keen for football to return both for the boost it would give and the mini economy it would drive.

Considering all of the really important stuff going on, this is still messing with my head.

Yeah if they came out now and said it was all cancelled it would really devastate me tbh. I’m struggling enough as it is. 

Having football back and seeing these magnificent b*****ds win the title is keeping me going. Be nice if the authorities came out and said “leagues will definitely finish, even if we can’t do it for a while. Now stop thinking about it for now pal.”

In the Mirror now too

Premier League stars facing strict coronavirus lockdown rules in bid to finish season

EXCLUSIVE: English football authorities want to squeeze the remaining games into a confined time frame during June and it would be done behind-closed-doors

John Cross

Premier League stars could be put under a strict quarantine lockdown in hotels for a month.

It is one of the ideas being considered ahead of the next round of talks between the Premier League, EFL, Football Association and the Professional Footballers’ Association with a determination to get the season completed.

They want to squeeze the remaining games into a confined time frame during June and it would be done behind-closed-doors but players would have to be kept away from the risk of infection from the coronavirus. 

Stadiums, hotels and training facilities would undergo a “deep clean” and the players would effectively be in isolation with the hope of getting the season finished by mid-July with a date of July 12 being talked about but July 16 is the current end of the TV deals.

There is talk within football that the virus will reach its peak in three weeks’ time.

If the crisis begins to ease then armchair viewers will want some entertainment and it will also save the TV deal with clubs facing the prospect of having to repay up to £780m to broadcast companies.

Players have major reservations about playing behind-closed-doors because of the risk of infection for them and their families and also the strain on emergency services but it is hoped they may be open to different ideas if the crisis has eased.

Clubs face having to pay different amounts in broadcast cash depending on how much they have received, with some having potential bills of up to £60m and, while Sky and BT Sport are believed to be more flexible, it is the foreign TV companies who are pushing harder for a conclusion.

Premier League clubs may be allowed to have bigger squads than the current 25, they may be able to lift foreign quotas and be able to use all their players on the books to deal with the demand of trying to play 10 games in a month.

Some clubs fear fans may not be allowed back into matches before October and well into next season because of the ongoing health concerns and, even if the worst has passed, the Government may be strict on whether stadiums can be opened again.

There is a genuine feeling of togetherness among the clubs from the Premier League to the EFL after the last round of talks on Friday and the PFA accepts that there may have to be deferrals, wage cuts and games behind-closed-doors despite the obvious misgivings from players.

The PFA are confident there will be no issue with extending the June 30 date on player contracts as has already been discussed by FIFA, with the idea of deals being extended until the season is finished.

3 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Yeah if they came out now and said it was all cancelled it would really devastate me tbh. I’m struggling enough as it is. 

Having football back and seeing these magnificent b*****ds win the title is keeping me going. Be nice if the authorities came out and said “leagues will definitely finish, even if we can’t do it for a while. Now stop thinking about it for now pal.”

Yep, that or that if they can’t finish they’ll go on average points or something. Just rule out voiding it. 

I think we’d get the title if they ended it. There was something in the papers last week about the PL not using the word void anymore and instead using curtailed. 

Anyway this is all positive. Clearly been a briefing tonight to get the idea out there in the public. Collymore hates it. That’s another reason to get it done.

The thing in Cross’s piece about fans maybe not being at games until October is interesting. It really should shut up this idea of doing away with this season to focus on next.

Football is most likely going to be diffferent for a while. 

Edited by Swipe

50 minutes ago, Swipe said:

maybe you need to dust off "Big Sam" on twitter to give you a different focus. 

here's something to make you all very very happy

4 hours ago, Stanley Leisure said:

What I don’t understand is why next season is seen to be more important than this one? 

Agree with that.  Either call this season finished as it stands or finish it whenever sport gets going again.  Pretending it never happened sounds pathetic.

I like this idea of a mini summer tournament in the midlands, obviously not as much as winning it a normal manner but if this is all we can do when things are a bit safer I am all for it.

I cant see how the european cups will be finished though, surely travelling round europe is miles away, if they did a similar thing by condensing it in to a mini tournament to try and get it done with 1 legged games, would the games that have already been played in this half finished round count?

Just cant see the champs league finishing, comestic leagues will be hard enough

They’ll play the European cups like the World Cup probably in one or 2 venues

I’ll be stunned if they don’t find a way to finish the CL. They won’t want to lose the money. And they won’t want to have to deal the the ramifications of the host city not having the final in some capacity, whatever they may be.

Edited by Swipe

1 hour ago, RBM said:

They’ll play the European cups like the World Cup probably in one or 2 venues

Pretty annoying that we're not going to be in it but, at the same time, watching that mini tournament sounds quite fun.

3 minutes ago, stressederic said:

Pretty annoying that we're not going to be in it but, at the same time, watching that mini tournament sounds quite fun.

It's really frigging annoying. City will piss it now.

1 minute ago, Jarg Armani said:

It's really frigging annoying. City will piss it now.

Yeah there aren't too many obstacles in their way now. Bayern have looked good, so maybe their pace in attack could trouble City.

8 minutes ago, Swipe said:

If it goes to one leg ties there could be a few shocks. 

Good point! Is that what's being mooted? I haven't read any articles as I'm still in a strop about us getting knocked out.

Imagine having this tournament for the league and then losing it! Reckon we'll be like slugs given our record after mid season breaks.

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

Imagine having this tournament for the league and then losing it! Reckon we'll be like slugs given our record after mid season breaks.

If we lose all 9 games we'd still win the league i reckon. 

I’m sure Kane would have the same opinion if Spurs were 25 points clear. Just like Brady would take the same view if WHU were in a CL place.