psl

2019/2020

6 hours ago, Swipe said:

I'm now convinced they'll try to get the season finished BCD. They'll have stringent testing for players, staff and the media people allowed in, and get it done. They'll want to finish it properly in the months to come, and will be working this week to see how they can shape the calendar for the next two years to allow that, but if they can they'll do it BCD.

I think they will want to complete it out of a sense of restoring normality (there's going to be a big social push towards that) but who knows when that'll happen. It honestly might be over a year the way things are going. Even completing the season behind closed doors brings risk for players, management, coaches, training ground staff, stadium staff and broadcast crew. All of them will have to have contact with people and as the death rates go exponential I can't see how anyone can justify that risk. The herd immunity approach makes me wonder if we're not talking about running this season into the 21/22 season rather than the 20/21 season. In the short to medium term cases are probably going to be way higher in the UK than in other places 

Bin the Euros, bin all cups and get the leagues finished. If they don't it will cause chaos for next season.

Use next season's international breaks  for Euro qualifiers and just have a knockout phase after next season.

Allow PL teams to opt out of the Carabao and FA Cups and do away with all replays.

Most of this is common sense which means there is no chance  of it happening. 

Edited by Nebraska Red

15 hours ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Yes, they’ve always existed but they’re so easy to uncover now. Jib it all, I say. 

14 hours ago, scoose said:

This. I get lots of information now from twitter as the real news outlets are so f***ing untrustworthy. I don't take everything on twitter as read by any means but you actually get to hear about things the real outlets don't cover. The massive downside is you have to wade through tons of s***e from some absolute whoppers 

Ive had to unfollow loads this last 7 days on twitter, mainly blues and Mancs that used to be quite amusing but have turnt in to massive medical experts demanding the season voided, that John Merro one is some character,  incessant tweeting about us.

When did the hate between us and the blues become so obvious? I went to derbies in the 80's where everyone got on fine, didnt go much in the 90's and then my first one of the 2000's was the 3-1 at Anfield when Barmby scored and the actual hate was obvious to me for the first time,  and is just getting worse.

Its depressing

Yeah does seem a little disconnected now. People taking it way too seriously. How does practical health, competition and such get lost to the anger and envy against other clubs. I’m sure we have our own crazies too, so just feels football has lost a little. 

7 hours ago, Maldini said:

I think they will want to complete it out of a sense of restoring normality (there's going to be a big social push towards that) but who knows when that'll happen. It honestly might be over a year the way things are going. Even completing the season behind closed doors brings risk for players, management, coaches, training ground staff, stadium staff and broadcast crew. All of them will have to have contact with people and as the death rates go exponential I can't see how anyone can justify that risk. The herd immunity approach makes me wonder if we're not talking about running this season into the 21/22 season rather than the 20/21 season. In the short to medium term cases are probably going to be way higher in the UK than in other places 

It’s easier to isolate and test the relatively small number of people who’d make up a BCD game though. I don’t know if there’ll soon be a point when testing can be done at will, but if it did that could be a way to get it done.

I'm coming around to the idea slowly that they will play the remainder of the league season one day. If the level of disruption is plainly going to affect next season anyway, they may as well finish this one.

Out of contract players will be interesting though.

I think things are changing so fast that can be little or no confidence in any firm decision taken today/tomorrow/day after etc. 

The UK Govt still haven't got a handle on this (nor any other) so there is no consensus when this might subside and normal life resume. 

4 minutes ago, Rory Fitzgerald said:

I think things are changing so fast that can be little or no confidence in any firm decision taken today/tomorrow/day after etc. 

The UK Govt still haven't got a handle on this (nor any other) so there is no consensus when this might subside and normal life resume. 

Indeed.

All they should really do is cancel Euro 2020 and commit to finishing domestic leagues before starting anything else.

Wellington have been crowned NZ first class cricket champions with 2 rounds to go after the season was ended early.

Edited by muleskinner

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Just think how old Virgil is going to be when we get back to normal ffs.

And how much closer Klopp is going to be to the end of his contract.

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

Just think how old Virgil is going to be when we get back to normal ffs.

Yeah but imagine the City squad.

Didn't know Rick Parry was in charge of the EFL. He owes us for Hicks and Gillette.

1 hour ago, Case said:

Italy considering finishing this season next season. Think this is the best way. Cancel the League and FA Cups, start European Club comps later, no staggered weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/16/italy-considers-splitting-2019-20-serie-a-campaign-over-two-seasons

I'm not 100% clear on this - there doesnt seem to be any details in the article.

Whats your understanding of it ? Surely one season must end before another begins, purely so we know who is relegated and promoted. I can see how you can play 2 seasons simultaneously.

8 minutes ago, Rory Fitzgerald said:

I'm not 100% clear on this - there doesnt seem to be any details in the article.

Whats your understanding of it ? Surely one season must end before another begins, purely so we know who is relegated and promoted. I can see how you can play 2 seasons simultaneously.

Can we play werner and sancho in the remaining games for this season?  

In another universe, we have just gone 2 up at Goodison and the 'as it stands' league table has flashed up with a gold C by our name.

3 hours ago, Rory Fitzgerald said:

My take is that they stop now till August. Finish this season in August early September. Restart following season as soon as logistically possible.

11 minutes ago, psl said:

In another universe, we have just gone 2 up at Goodison and the 'as it stands' league table has flashed up with a gold C by our name.

What channel is this universe on mate?

21 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

What channel is this universe on mate?

If only I knew.

Article on the beeb about tomorrow’s UEFA meeting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/51912634

The TV contracts as much as anything will ensure the season is finished. There’s a bit tacked on at the end though that says if restrictions can’t be lifted by June they may have to make the decision to scrap the season and start again in August.
It would be a bit strange to cancel it in June and think it’s going to be okay by August for a brand new season. 

Edited by Swipe