psl

2019/2020

This season was going way to well. Everything fell into place if you were a Liverpool fan. 
Watching Man City, Man U arsenal and spurs are fall apart and then the ffp with city added to it. But now....😐

3 minutes ago, Romario said:

This season was going way to well. Everything fell into place if you were a Liverpool fan. 
Watching Man City, Man U arsenal and spurs are fall apart and then the ffp with city added to it. But now....😐

It doesn’t matter. Win the next one.

we're 9 games from the end of the season - bin off Europe, 2 games pw & it can be done in a month. Even if you suspend till July 1, you're done by August & can start the League at a bit of a push early Sept

Why do articles say the season may be voided? Why is that an obvious outcome? I don’t understand why the postponed games can’t be played further down the line 

there's no need to void now when you can postpone till a later date & ultimately void at that later date if needs be.

It's like folding a good hand when you have a free look because everyone's checked to you

kind of

4 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Why do articles say the season may be voided? Why is that an obvious outcome? I don’t understand why the postponed games can’t be played further down the line 

Sensationalist tabloid articles garner more hits than a run of the mill one saying games may be postponed?

Callum Hudson-Odoi has tested positive for it. Football is going to seem very trivial very soon. We're not far off people we know; celebrities, friends and acquaintances dying from this. 

With a Chelsea player testing positive, you have to wonder if any of our players are at risk given that we just played them. Everton too.

The league will definitely be suspended today and so it should be.

3 minutes ago, smithdown said:

If games are suspended it is AGAINST government advice

Good. 

You don't really want it to continue do you? I mean we all want to win the league but there is no way this can go on now.

Edited by psl

5 minutes ago, psl said:

Good. 

Well all decisions are being left to the layman to make - example 1, the GP surgery in Kirkby is closed for deep clean, however the building it is in also houses the walk in centre and chemist which are both still open and have the same entrance and foyer area, so now people are scared about going to pick up their prescription.

The policy is to not have a policy and things will sort themselves out.

Edited by smithdown

1 minute ago, smithdown said:

Well all decisions are being left to the layman to make - example 1, the GP surgery in Kirkby is closed for deep clean, however the building it is in also houses the walk in centre and chemist which are both still open and have the same entrance and foyer area, so now people are scared about going to pick up their prescription.

The policy is to not have a policy and things will sort themselves out.

Yeah I'm not really up for that.

Anyway, a Premier league player and manager has got the virus. Those teams will be isolating. So the league will have to be postponed.

We shouldn't be trying to force our players and manager, or any one involved, to risk their own wellbeing or that of their families, so we can watch football. Let alone the ramifications of allowing crowds in.

As things stand, football doesnt matter.

The Guardian

Sean Ingle 

Premier League clubs are preparing for the football season to be suspended after the Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday night and their match on Saturday against Brighton was postponed.

Arsenal confirmed their first team squad and coaches would now self-isolate, and they would be unable to play some fixtures on the scheduled dates. In the early hours of Friday, Chelsea announced their players are self-isolating after Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive.

Meanwhile, having earlier declared that the weekend’s top-flight games would go ahead as planned, the Premier League has called an emergency meeting with its clubs on Friday regarding future fixtures this season.

One club executive told the Guardian they expected the season to be suspended for several weeks in the light of the Arteta news, and didn’t rule out the possibility of the whole season being voided.

On Thursday it was also reported that the Manchester City defender, Benjamin Mendy, is self-isolating after a member of his family fell ill, and three Leicester players have also undergone tests for Covid-19 after experiencing symptoms.

As things stand, the Premier League is the only major top-flight league in Europe not to shut down or close its doors because of the coronavirus. The top divisions in Spain, Italy, Portugal, the Netherlands, Ireland and the United States have all been suspended amid the outbreak, while the German Bundesliga and France’s Ligue 1 are holding matches behind closed doors.

Fixtures in the Scottish Premiership also appear set to be postponed after this weekend’s Old Firm clash between Rangers and Celtic, following First Minister Nicola Sturgeon’s announcement that gatherings of more than 500 people will be banned from Monday.

Earlier, English football had been told to carry on as normal after the government’s medical experts insisted that their remained a very low probability of someone with Covid-19 infecting a large number of people in a stadium. However, the Arteta news quickly made that advice appear complacent.

The scale of the problem for global sport due to the rapid spread of the virus was once again illustrated in a fast-moving 24 hours as:

European football’s governing body, Uefa, moved closer towards postponing the 2020 European Championships, the final of which is due to be held at Wembley, until 2021. Uefa officials will discuss the future of the tournament next week.

• Real Madrid’s Champions League match against Manchester City next Tuesday was delayed after a basketball player from the Madrid team, which shares the same training facility, tested positive for the virus.

• This weekend’s Formula One season-opening Australian GP in Melbourne was called off after a staff member from the McLaren team tested positive for Covid-19.

• President Trump called for the Tokyo Olympic Games in July to be postponed for a year.

• Men’s tennis was shut down for six weeks, with the prestigious Miami Open and Monte Carlo tournaments cancelled.

• The Pro-14 rugby tournament for clubs from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Italy and South Africa was suspended until further notice.

• Irish racing was told that it must be held behind closed doors until 27 March.

• In the US, major league basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer were all suspended, with the NCAA’s March Madness basketball tournaments cancelled.

This summer’s European Championships were already expected to be the most complicated ever staged, because 12 stadiums in 12 different countries were being used, starting in Rome on 12 June and ending on 12 July with the final at Wembley. But the spread of the coronavirus has now put its future in doubt. Delaying Euro 2020 could free up space in the calendar for the European leagues to finish their seasons this summer.

Formula One’s Australian Grand Prix cancelled amid coronavirus fears

The Euro 2021 women’s tournament in England is not due to start until 11 July, so one plan being discussed is for the men’s competition to take place beforehand. A final decision will come when Uefa meets with representatives from the clubs, leagues and the players’ union Fifpro on Tuesday.

Insiders have also told the Guardian that “everything will be on the table” at the meeting – including drastic plans to make the rest of this season’s Champions League and Europa League ties into one-legged games staged in neutral venues.

Uefa confirmed the talks were “in the light of the ongoing developments in the spread of Covid-19 across Europe and the changing analysis of the World Health Organisation.”

The International Olympic Committee has insisted that it is still full steam ahead for the Olympics in Japan in July despite calls from Trump for a postponement until 2021.

At a briefing at the White House, Trump said: “I like that better than I like having empty stadiums all over the place,” he said. “If you cancel it, do it a year later. That’s a better alternative rather than having it with no crowd.”

But the IOC said it remained “absolutely in line with our Japanese hosts” in its commitment to deliver a safe Olympic Games this year.

In the cricket, England’s tour of Sri Lanka was continuing. But a spokesperson for the ECB said “this is a highly evolving situation and circumstances are changing rapidly, sometimes several times a day”.

Suspend the league for 6 weeks. 
Start it back mid-May. 
10 games left. 
Play out the league over 3 weeks

- Wednesday May 13th, Saturday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday 6th June

Players have six weeks off and then play a schedule that is akin to the December/Christmas period.

No different to playing League, League Cup, League, Europe 1st leg, League, Europe 2nd leg, League (7 games there of weekend/midweek games)

9 minutes ago, Rory Fitzgerald said:

Suspend the league for 6 weeks. 
Start it back mid-May. 
10 games left. 
Play out the league over 3 weeks

- Wednesday May 13th, Saturday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday 6th June

Players have six weeks off and then play a schedule that is akin to the December/Christmas period.

No different to playing League, League Cup, League, Europe 1st leg, League, Europe 2nd leg, League (7 games there of weekend/midweek games)

Aren't we expecting the peak to be in May?

After the Herculaneum effort of the past two seasons, record points totals last season, then going even better this year smashing records. To come away from those two seasons with nothing will be unbearable. The effect it will have on the players, manager, fans and whole club might be hard to bounce back from.

Just now, Rory Fitzgerald said:

Don’t know mate, I just work in an office ;)

I think I read that somewhere but might be wrong.

I expect them to suspend for 4 weeks and review it then. 

8 hours ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

I’m not even messing, this s*** is f***ing with my mental health.

Yeah. I've just informed the wife to expect me to be in bits if this happens. Which I accept given the situation is f***ing idiotic but I genuinely wake up each morning hoping all this is a bad dream........

7 minutes ago, psl said:

Aren't we expecting the peak to be in May?

Yeah, if it gets suspended I don't think it is all back to normal in May.

Genuinely think there is a real chance now this gets voided. Once it gets past a certain point I don't think they'll just keep on postponing, extending etc.

Feelings on that are the same as everyone else on here - I'd know that in the big scheme it is not football but id also know that it would hit me very hard. Genuine head f***er.

5 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Yeah, if it gets suspended I don't think it is all back to normal in May.

Genuinely think there is a real chance now this gets voided. Once it gets past a certain point I don't think they'll just keep on postponing, extending etc.

Feelings on that are the same as everyone else on here - I'd know that in the big scheme it is not football but id also know that it would hit me very hard. Genuine head f***er.

I still think there is a very real chance of playoffs prior to next season. I know no one has agreed but I can just see them seeing it as a way to resolve issues in quick time.

Whether that includes the title, I don't know. It hasn't been won yet which scares me.

They could just void all leagues across the world which would make it difficult for anyone to argue.

1 minute ago, McBain said:

If they void it we just claim victory and start saying 19 plus 6 

I was thinking if they do, we could do a parade anyway, when safe to do so. The players deserve it. It wouldnt happen and would be roundly mocked but I just hate the thought of the players missing out on what they have earned.

Edited by psl