Sign in to follow this  
pipnasty

Extinction Rebellion

Just short of 1000 arrests so far - 400 were arrested during the poll tax riots. And yet the BBC continue its news blackout of the event even though XR are currently on its f***ing doorstep

Edited by pipnasty

Just short of 1000 arrests so far - 400 were arrested during the poll tax riots. And yet the BBC continue its news blackout of the event even though XR are currently on its f***ing doorstep

Sinister how the BBC can pull the curtain across like that. The Hong Kong protests got 10x as much coverage!

Yeah I just checked the BBC website now and there's no mention of it on their front page, front news page or even the front page of the Local news for the London area.

Utterly baffling.

And if you search for Extinction Rebellion in the Search bar the latest thing they have is a link to a TV programme from 17th July

Edited by TommoK

There's been some criticism of delivering flowers to Brixton police station which tbh looks awful from here. I am going to get back to Pip and Seymour's thoughts over the weekend

There's been some criticism of delivering flowers to Brixton police station which tbh looks awful from here. I am going to get back to Pip and Seymour's thoughts over the weekend

We were told by two coppers that a number of other coppers were requesting to be re-assigned from XR related activities because they could no longer arrest people that they basically agreed with. Now, I'm no friend of the police but that seemed quite interesting. Doesn't mean that delivering flowers to Brixton police station is ok. But, there is a long tradition of gestures like this in non-violent civil disobedience and XR have looked at the history and taken bits that they feel have worked from many different campaigns over the years. In London, there were lots of potential flashpoints that XR managed to defuse creatively i.e. deploying the 'Red Brigade' when things got tense. Nobody wants this to turn into something more violent apart from the police who at times were trying to provoke a violent reaction but never got one. 

Edited by pipnasty

And nuclear power - gone through this many times on here but some people are just too dumb to take it in.

The world currently has 435 nuclear power stations that produce 2.5% of our total global energy. Therefore, we need around 15,000 new nuclear power stations to be built within the next 20 years or so, which is about 750 per year, if they are going to provide the answer to our problems. Add to this the predicted rise in consumption of total energy, then you could possible add another 5000 to 7500 nuclear power stations needed with a worse case scenario of us needing to build 1125 new nuclear power stations per year for the next 20 years. Hinkley C is expected to cost £20 billion, so times that by 22500, and that is your cost of turning the world nuclear in 20 years.

wind farm maths doesn't add up in any way shape or form....other than being better than fossils

but of course wind carries an ideology whereas nuclear is still a dog whistle

what's for certain is that to declare that wind farms are the way forward with absolute authority is to contradict actual experts, with whom I'll take my chances on reflection

and in any case, only new technology will sort out the problem, not simply adopting existing technology

nuclear energy isn't to be used for the whole world...won't happen in Africa for the foreseeable, but then Africa has lots of sun

meantime, France derives 75% of its electricity from Nuclear

someone should have told them that there's some blert on a footy forum that disapproves

wind farm maths doesn't add up in any way shape or form....other than being better than fossils

but of course wind carries an ideology whereas nuclear is still a dog whistle

what's for certain is that to declare that wind farms are the way forward with absolute authority is to contradict actual experts, with whom I'll take my chances on reflection

and in any case, only new technology will sort out the problem, not simply adopting existing technology

nuclear energy isn't to be used for the whole world...won't happen in Africa for the foreseeable, but then Africa has lots of sun

meantime, France derives 75% of its electricity from Nuclear

someone should have told them that there's some blert on a footy forum that disapproves

Electricity and total energy are two separate things, you f***ing idiot

Electricity and total energy are two separate things, you f***ing idiot

I don't f***ing care

I didn't say anything about total energy

the UK gets 22 % of it's electricity from Nuclear

that's a third of France

which means that in fact, YOU'RE THE C***!

Edited by Molby

Which experts are saying that nuclear is a better option than the combination of various renewables ?

Everything I’ve read says the opposite Molbs

don't get it - what's the scoop?

Which experts are saying that nuclear is a better option than the combination of various renewables ?

Everything I’ve read says the opposite Molbs

who is your favourite expert?

who knows the most, all things considered?

Rumours going round (yeah, I know) that the government are looking into the possibility of defining XR as a terrorist group

Haha. Terror.

This must be wrong Pip because I keep hearing the government are going further and faster than any other country in their steps to achieve carbon zero. So they must be really supportive of the public wholeheartedly endorsing their policy.

Pip I need to apologise mate you've made some sterling contributions to this thread but I'm kinda struggling with the mental energy to engage with much at the moment. I have appreciated them though and while I have some issues on tactics I do support the work of XR and think it's incredibly important while also acknowledging criticising tactics when not active is a bit s***house.

Nah, it’s fine Vic. Time and energy are becoming increasingly rare these days.

My experience of XR in London was that the police desperately wanted it to kick off and a lot of their tactics were deliberately provocative. One of XR’s main points is to open up spaces that allow the marginalised a voice - women, children, disabled people, race, gender - basically anybody who isn’t white and male. We need to hear all voices if this is going to work. But any kind of violence involving XR turns the whole thing into a bloodbath and you lose those marginalised voices. I facilitated a couple of small people’s assemblies in Trafalgar Square and just to hear people who are as good as invisible under business as usual was incredible.

I’ve thought long and hard about the tactics of XR and have come to the conclusion that I support them 100 percent. Do I agree with everything they do? No. But I support their right to do it and realise that it has been my privilege that has allowed me previously to think that people wanted to hear my opinion all of the time. If that makes sense.

Cool - I was on the train earlier so glad it made sense

As an aside, it appears the police had a number of ‘red lines’ for XR in London and one of them was the financial district and the Bank of England. Hence them trying to shut the whole thing down last night