By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Notre Dame (Paris) on fire

dorgie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was something said on the news - criticism about the fire services and just a single hose.

I’m not taking the piss here - it’s horrific.

It's a beautiful building but these firefighters need to go home to their families at the end of the shift. It's not quick or easy to get enough water on a building that far gone.

I'd imagine, at least initially, they were trying to contain it whilst they were trying to salvage as much of the art and removable stuff from inside as possible. You dump lots of water on and some of that kind of stuff is potentially ruined.

We're obviously not seeing all that's going on

I'd imagine, at least initially, they were trying to contain it whilst they were trying to salvage as much of the art and removable stuff from inside as possible. You dump lots of water on and some of that kind of stuff is potentially ruined.

We're obviously not seeing all that's going on

They’re inside between the towers with torches, possibly trying to salvage something.

No surprise given the pictures, but the French Interior Ministry are saying that the fire’s still spreading and they don’t know if the building can be saved.

From what the Commander of the Paris fire brigade has just told the media, it looks like they’re fighting a losing battle to stop the North Belfrey collapsing.

Edited by Gilps

A real shame. Maybe France can come together over it or maybe they’ll get all “No religious symbols! We’re so non selectively secular”

Who can know these things.

Sparks from them welding possibly. That’s happened a few times. I think it did at Windsor Castle. There’s no excuse for not taking the right precautions.

Do you know what caused it?

Sparks from them welding possibly. That’s happened a few times. I think it did at Windsor Castle. There’s no excuse for not taking the right precautions.

Nothing like jumping to conclusions before actually knowing what really happened

Nothing like jumping to conclusions before actually knowing what really happened

I used the word "possibly". You saw that right? And that wasn't my conjecture. It was what I heard on a report.

Nothing like jumping to conclusions about a post, right?

It was a combination of factors. Oxygen played a part and I’m heatmring heat was involved.

Right. But given the fact that there was work being done on building, and reports were that this was a possibility, it's worthwhile to repeat it don't you think?

And sure, it was a combination of factors, but what was the proximate cause? Welding? Cigarettes? Electrical? Without that, all the oxygen in the world wouldn't cause it.

It was a combination of factors. Oxygen played a part and I’m heatmring heat was involved.

I'm hearing reports that there was a rapid oxidation of a material in the exothermic chemical process of combustion, releasing heat, light, and various reaction products.